Anglia4's CB650

anglia4

Wow I haven't updated this in ages.

Ok, I've had a few different attempts at getting it running better since then.

I borrowed some digital vacuum gauges and balanced the carbs, now that got it running a bit nicer at low throttle percentages but still wasn't quite right when it was opened up.

I thought it was seeming a little like it had a blocked jet, so I stripped the carbs right back down again and cleaned everything out. In doing this i realised that I hadn't quite shouldered all of the slow jets when I pressed the new ones in originally. So I shouldered these properly and re-assembled it.

The next ride it ran heaps smoother at low speeds but once you tried to rev it out or go faster than 90km/h it would start cutting out, it seemed like it was running out of gas, so I pulled the carbs again and re-checked the float levels (that had been a problem before). But the problem was still there.

After some fault finding and head scratching, I found a big resistance (on occasion) from the battery to the coil.

After the electrical fuckup in the last post, I have been using a bridging loop plug I made as a key to bypass the ignition switch, turns out moisture had got into that now too and was causing problems.

So now i've replaced the whole lot with a proper switch and relay and tried to weather proof the lot. 

NOW IT RUNS MINT! Better than ever, revs out nicely, sounds fucking great!

I'm still going to balance the carbs again after the slow jet balls up and will tinker with fuel ratio's after that, but its been a massive step. Its now a rideable bike :)

I also put some stiffeners under the back of the seat as it was flapping about a little bit and starting to break off. All good now.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've decided to do a bit more tinkering with this over the coming weeks.

I had broken off one of the rear indicators and the flasher unit had shit itself as well so I have ordered some new LED buggers and the appropriate flasher.

Last night I wired in a battery charger loom as the batt is a PITA to get at and I was having to charge it every ride. So now I will be able to have it plugged into the trickle charger all the time.

I'm also going to pull a few bits off and clean them up, its got a bit grubby when I was riding it quite a bit.

There are also a few more bits I want to tidy the paint on. I might keep an eye out for another OEM speedo as that one is a bit dinged up.

Next big project for it will be the front brake. I want to adapt a brake from a late model bike. Will keep an eye on trademe.

Anyway, here is a pic of it on a bridge.

969696_10151398515241502_1834493389_n_zp

• 5 months later...

I have done nothing with this bike for months.

I was thinking about selling it even and started cleaning it up last week.

Shot home for lunch today and the sun was shining so I pulled the cover off and to my surprise it fired straight up. Ran like an absolute dog for a while but when I got onto the motorway it cleared and went really well all the way to work.

A few people at work have commented on how awesome it is.

Perhaps I shouldn't sell :)

Perhaps it just needs more awesome.

Like rearsets.

Better brakes.

And a WOF, I'd prob ride it heaps more if it had one of those haha

• Like 2

• 11 months later...

Since I have listed the Ducati for sale, I have been thinking I should get this a bit more sorted and take it to Nelson with me.

I dragged it out of the shed today.

Poor old thing has been gathering dust for a while, the chrome on the guard and pipe is looking a bit sad so I'll take it to work and see if one of the SS polishers can give it a tickle.

9DF2FF68-B709-4682-9A68-30A2F6ED7269_zps

The switch & relay ignition set up that I mentioned further up the page just runs off a switch hidden under the seat. It works great but its not exactly thief proof. So I pulled apart the old key ignition to check why it had stopped working.

70530C8B-28BC-45EE-97C2-55A7888E2170_zps

Corrosion!

E4CCE319-2A6F-41FB-A53C-6D51028038EB_zps

DBCA0BD8-3B00-4546-A460-216AB6CB9DEC_zps

I was getting like 150 Ohms across it with the multimeter, that will do it.

So gave it all a polish and sealed it back up again. Should work mint now, good continuity.

49085126-1863-4A8F-B116-732D40C6D9B9_zps

Next thing will be the front brake, the master cylinder has been weeping as evidence by the paint stripper effect all over the lever. So I will start looking for a better brake to adapt to it.

• Like 1