MZ10 Toyota Soarer restoration

Roman

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, dynamat or similar could be a good idea for sure.

Obviously not concerned about adding a bit of weight if it makes it nicer to drive.

I originally owned this car a few years ago, drove it back up from Wellington to Auckland in one hit. Was by far the most comfortable car I've ever driven long distance! was an awesome trip, even as completely standard car.

Agree about wiring, hahaha. You should see the JZX100 loom, about 10 billion wires!

He spent ages with the wiring loom in his lounge sprawled out, to figure it all out, strip out things like airbag wiring etc and draw diagrams for how everything works.

Seeing an ECU sitting amongst a sprawl of wires, I think I get the same kind of terror as if it were a giant spider in a web that I'd just walked into with my face.

Sorry had to have a bit of a chukkle over the "So it's not going to be race car, drift car, or be super low or have hard suspension etc. (deal-with-it.jpg)"

Restoration?

Next post, tears engine out fits some thing else.. haha. :D

*Waits for post #47*

"So we stumbled across some 14x9 3 peice bla bla ...and some coil overs "

Haha, yep I get what you're saying.

Well, it didnt have the engine or box to start with, and to be fair the original motor was probably the lamest thing about the car.

I guess you could say we're trying to keep with the spirit of the original car by retaining the same type of motor.

(EFI straight six single turbo)

Newer motor mainly for better economy :P

Yeah, cos it's just going to be a cruiser, and it also helps everything work better when keeping standard ECU, ABS, traction control etc as it's all integrated.

Originally were tossing up between 1UZ or the early 1JZ, 1uz won because wide powerband suits auto better...

But VVTI 1JZGTE has a better powerband than either of those options, and nice to keep it as a straight six as per original car.

Awesome, love the shape of these. Just finished putting a new boot in mates gz10

Before

http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/3626 ... 724886.jpg

After

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/2853/2 ... 627363.jpg

Think there was just shy of 20 separate plate on the inter and outer that were made

Get to that rust pronto, this one was so bad because someone had covered it up with silicon rather than killing it to start with

Yep.. Our one is very similar.. not quite as bad though.

I pulled the fuel tank out and could see the sky. poked around with a screw driver and the true nature of the rust problem revealed itself..

Must have been the same person putting silicone everywhere.

Needs some new boot floor and the back 3 layers of spot welded seam needs to be pulled apart and some shiny new metal welded in

Will put up some before and after pics when done.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

This thing is going to be so badass.

Sweet 80's coupe styling with the best Toymota engine. (mind you, even a wet fart would be an upgrade from an M-series.)

Good to see it's still ticking away.

Makes me wonder though, what is your coupe doing??

Yeah I'm looking forward to taking it for a post-1JZ hoon at Taupo... and seeing how much of a difference above a 2:10 laptime it can make with some modern stuff in it haha.

Not much has changed with the coupe since you were up - Have been moving house / starting new job / GF is recovering from major surgery / other excuses to cover the fact that I'm lazy haha. Well, I've been aquiring cert monies anyway. Speaking of Which, time to pester Cletus me thinks...

• 1 month later...

I used to have the same but mine was factory GT 5spd and OMFG do they go hard with just the basic mods! unfortunatly mine got written off by some old guy in nelson who drove into front of me bending the chassis crimping the wiring and causing a minor fire, then told his insurance company was my fault and I was screwed!! moral of story trust no one!!

How is your build going? how old are these photos?

would love to see one with a lexus V8.

Ahh, that's stink about your Soarer.

Yeah this is coming along slowly... It's just how we seem to do things, haha.

I'm just smashing through my to-do list for fixing up things on my Carina which I took for cert last week, once this is over that hurdle the Soarer will get a bit more attention!

The last pictures are fairly indicative of it's current state.

Yeah it was a bit of fun to drive around with the MTEU, even though it was horridly slow and used ALL the gas.

The next task is to get someone on to the job of rust/panel work... I now think it's worth paying someone else to do this task, it's not much fun and is very time consuming to get right compared to someone who's a pro at it who can smash through it all in 1/10th of the time.

Mike's old car with the 1UZ was pretty boss!

• 1 year later...