Felixx's Healing Cruiser

felixx

I got this cruiser off a GC on here.

It is in pretty good nick;

2011-11-18_17-22-04_659.jpg

However I took her for a ride around the street I live in and the chain snapped

I was going to the bike shop anyway to get two white tyres for her. The chap there gave me a new joining link.. all good.

However in the spirit of OS I decided to strip her down and put her back to gether, better, stronger, faster. However having avoided owning a bike since I was 12 or 13 I have never done bike stuff.

So

1) how do i remove these pins?

2011-11-19_14-27-17_297.jpg

2) There are oiling holes in the hubs, what do I put in these? Engine oil, grease, snot?

3) Back pedal brakes, the ones on the bike worked, but not as well as I remember them to, how do I adjust these bad boys?

Plans involve keeping her looking original, not repainting her, leaving the rust on, replacing the pump with one that goes, maybe some pannier bags and a dynamo light.

Feel free to comment, give advice etc on this thread.

For the cotter pins in the cranks either brace the crank to the ground with steel pipe/block of wood, them hammer the shit out of the pin or press them out with a vice like so

mybfNsm1XwM

Pretty sure you use something like 30 weight oil in the rear hub, this guys site will tell you pretty much everything you need to know: http://sheldonbrown.com/cotters.html

They came out easy as can be with a firm tap with a 2lb hammer.

I stripped the crank down, all the bearings were there, the grease was dry and crusty.

Put it all together and the pedal seemed to jump a bit. I stripped it down again, reassembled it and it seems fine now.

I purchased new tyres (white) but the guy was out of tubes. Found one at another shop. So I have 1 inflated tyre, Will put the front tyre on tomorrow, then I am sorted for now.

A BIG part of me wants to leave the paint/ rust as is, but another part of me wants to paint it anglia blue. I think as is will be the go for now.

Oh, I nearly forgot, found a 1990s civil defence helmet with a safety standard sticker inside it...so I have a helmet too. Any of you chch boes got a bike dynamo and light lying about?

Lucky!! I had a cunt of a time getting the cotters out of the wifes Twenty today!! Ended up having to put a 5" bar over the handle of my heavy vice to get them to pop!

And broke a classic vice in the process too lol

Should have whacked new balls in while you had it in bits, under $5 to do them!

• 2 weeks later...

3 Questions:

1)so how much 'slop' is acceptable in the front and rear hubs? T have about 1 - 2mm side to side movement

2) How do i tighten up this movement? (I have a single speed rear hub with coaster brakes)

3) How do I get the coaster brakes to work better? I remember being able to do the mean as skids when I was a kid.

• 2 weeks later...

Well!

I did a stealth mod to the cruiser today.

She has a pump but the wee washer at the end was poked.

Went to warehouse and brought a new pump for her (had to be a black one as white ones are hard to find)

Unfortunately the pump was a bit long.

Raizer gave me the good idea about cutting the new pump down

I went one better and stripped both pumps and cut a bit off the end of the steel pipe in my new pump so it fitted in the old pump body.

A bit of vaseline and it was like new. AWESOME!

PS I ordered new decals for the bike today ($15/ set) so now I have to strip her and paint her in autumn.

I was thinking the metallic green HSV use as it is close ish to the original colour and will look sick as on white tyres.

PPS those rims with lotsa spokes, where do you buy them? How pricey are they?

Awesome!

That green should look mint on a Cruiser too!

Decals from that guy on TM who also sells healing head badges etc at times?

Are you meaning those wheels from low rider bikes or a BMX 48 spoke style thing? Try "RocketBikes" on trademe for low rider spec ones, found he's a good guy to deal with.

Won't work with a 3 speed hub though.

• 1 year later...