crustywhips crusty jzx31 coupe

crustywhip

I posted a few years ago then deleted it as knew it was going to be ages before I had work and money to poor into this beast. It lives under cover in free, safe storage and so far not much has happened except motor and box are in but I wasnt happy with the engine mounts so will be changing them. I love this car and will maintain as much of its original body work as I can. This was owned by a few of the older members here so shes still around and not going any where.

EDIT: Just adding this link

http://www.toyota-global.com/company/history_of_toyota/75years/vehicle_lineage/car/id60013044B/index.html

egu45e.jpg

16gcpqt.jpg

fw3q0o.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

So ball has started rolling on this sack. Had Kayne come check it out and its now booked in with him and Im very very happy. Spent today getting it back off the ground and will remove the engine/box tomorrow and get it ready for a trip over the hill.

Few pics.

14r0vl.jpg

5loqjd.jpg

o7jdjp.jpg

2v9c368.jpg

205v8ec.jpg

• Like 1

Towed cholo back to my parents to make it a bit easier for the truck to come pick it up. Bit sketchy as I had never towed it by rope or used the brakes and the screen was taped in on a windy wellington day. Managed to touch 120km/h from Jville to churton park though. Also been a while since I seen my a31 which should fund a good chunk of my toyota.

34j6vf7.jpg

2j4zkg2.jpg

2vte7gy.jpg

9s, adjusties, 2 way, 5 stud, Biagio blah blah ba dadadadadadadada. went through the "drift" stage and then bailed. such a nice car to drive.

281r4o3.jpg

Discuss;

http://oldschool.co....-crustys-jzx31/

• 6 months later...

The X31 is coming along nicely.  This is the first time I have had any work like this done and was very fussy about where it went but know the right person is doing the repairs.  Kayne is a legend and knows exactly what I want in a repair and is nearing completion of the rear end.  Fair bit of work has gone into this with alot more to go and I look forward to up dates and seeing a craftsman at work.

s3fzwx.jpg 

msm1sg.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Rust repairs have been humming along nicely.  Kayne has completed the rear and is working his way around and then onto the heater and previous repairs around the front windscreen.  I receive detailed descriptions of what repairs have been identified and exactly what will be required to fix and protect.  I visit when I come back to Wellington which is nice too.

25aj8yu.jpg

Rear end all done.

2e1brlj.jpg

The only sill repair on the drivers side.  Im pretty sure the passenger side will need more.

6jlmqb.jpg

Drivers door was pretty good and wasnt hiding any thing

2cy5kiv.jpg

Now the damage in the engine bay. Thankfully is only in two spot and Its pretty bad in the heater vents but Kayne said its not to bad and he has seen worse. Made me feel better hearing that haha.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

F/R fender.  This was bad as some one had decided to  use it as a jack point and then some bog was slapped in there.  All better now

2hf8mqh.jpg

Showing some of the inside repairs that have been made. 

2lw41h3.jpg

This little doozle was hiding under the trim.  Im looking forward to seeing how this one turns out.

257iq8k.jpg

Kayne is doing an awesome job of the repairs and I couldnt thank him enough.  Im hoping to get the car back early next year and then attention will move onto engine and these ITB things that all the cool kids have. 

rtg707.jpg 

• Like 5

• 2 months later...

My Toyota is moving along.  Kayne has been trying to find a rear screen rubber so he can remove the glass and inspect for rust.  The plan was to get the rust repairs sorted then get it running with a throttle body manifold, ecu etc.  I am now starting to think panel and paint then ship the car south for drive line as I have spoken to some one having a manifold made towards mid 2014 so planning on working with him.  

2lkyan4.jpg

2s93wh3.jpg

o8cq5v.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

This happened today.  I knew there was rust under here but had no idea how bad it was, so I went to Kaynes and removed every thing to access the damage.  I was actually expecting far worse so Im pretty happy.  Its kind of like the rust just stopped one day. 

23svles.jpg

A couple little bits to sort here

1j93yc.jpg

Annnnd this little dozzle. Bad, yes. Fixable, totally and the rest of every thing under here is sweet

2wlu7fs.jpg

and another from the drivers side

2ppafeb.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Been a while with a few things going on including losing my job for attending OS nats but progress on the car is happening.  These are the latest update photos received from Kayne regarding the heater duct area and a couple old ones from the rear section.  I have also been looking into intakes and have found some thing already set up with 6 throttles so will do some more research and see if it is a good route to go.

Discuss here

//oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/30893-crustys-jzx31/

16bhams.jpg

Pukana, bleh.

28j86xw.jpg

9amovn.jpg

a252e0.jpg

Before

2liu4c1.jpg

After

4gmel1.jpg

Before

244711c.jpg

After

9u8cyb.jpg

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Went back to Wellington last week and caught up with Kayne. Im stoked and the next stage will be the previous repairs around the windscreen and some little dozzles in the passenger door.

deo5uh.jpg

Inside just needs a clean up and etch primed.

2l9tdow.jpg

And this is my favorite from the photos and threads found online.

2afh0nb.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 months later...

Few photos of the passenger side repairs inside the heater duct and lower windscreen areas.  Like the drivers side a section was removed to carry out the repair then refitted when complete.  Kayne has checked that the windscreen fits evenly as the previous repairs had distorted the steel so some more work was required to get it all looking good.  As usual Im very happy and now starting to think about colours.

Some discussion

//oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/30893-crustys-jzx31/

241o5rc.jpg

2dllrh0.jpg

ioeoog.jpg

25hdfk2.jpg

1zvpsn7.jpg

2r2axxl.jpg

2lwobcp.jpg

30m3law.jpg

And the finished product. Super happy.

• Like 7