BlownCoronas 1971 Toyota Corona

so a couple of months ago i had set myself the totally unreasonable goal of having this car finished by new years as im leaving for the airforce on the 19th of jan (less the 3 weeks away now)

At that point i has rust, two tone paint and an engine that was running like a bag of shit on poorly setup bike carbs

now being the 1st day of the year im very please to be able to say, thanks to the help of alot of Oldschoolers, that my car now has the rust repairs, brand new paint, redesigned intake manifold and better tuned carbs, and the interior tidyed up ALOT. 

I also have a 90% built hotted up engine that is awaiting the conrods to be repaired and then ill be bolting the head back on and its right into the car. 

the list for this car is now incredibly small and i am extremely happy!

1. Buff new paint

2. Install fresh engine

3. Fine tune bike cars to new engine

4. Finally enjoy the car and the fact that it looks exactly how i have been trying to acheive for the last 3 years. 

paint doesn't look very good in this pic as its overcast and a pretty crapy day, but even unbuffed looks awesome when the sun hits it, so hopefully when its buffed it will clear up a bit more. 

IMAG0112.jpg?t=1388558160

tryied my hand at a metal flake paintjob on the rocker cover, black paint with blue glitter chucked over it and clearcoat, the clear went a bit weird so i may redo it, but i like the overall look! just trying to decide if i paint the head blue or black.

IMAG0114.jpg?t=1388558066

PS. in these photos you can see the sort of working space i have. 1 small as fuck garage that doesnt fit a car and barely fits and engine stand, so ive done everything on this car outside, sometimes while raining, often while dark into the small hours with spot lights set up because thats the only spare time i get! so quietly stoked at the car I, and those that have helped, have produced!

• Like 6

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

out with this heap of shit, 

IMAG0117.jpg

planning on painting the engine bay on sunday, with the hopes ill get my repaired conrods back on monday and the new engine will be dropped in!

the new engine is looking pretty exciting aswell, now that i know the extractors dont leak ill tidy the welds up and heatwrap them. also going to ad a V band clamp because i hate the old style sleeve joining,

IMAG0118.jpg

IMAG0119.jpg

• Like 1

just picked up my conrods from MPL automotive, new ARP bolts and re sized, they've done me a huge favor in getting them sorted so fast!

ill now be putting everything together finally and once the bay is painting (hopefully tomorrow) it will be right in!

cutting it fine for my leaving date being the 19th haha

tomorow should be an exciting day, 

just need to get my oil pressure sender back from being re threaded, and hook up the fuel lines then watch it catch fire and burn to the ground or something

finnally an engine bay i can be proud of, i was gonna do a full wire tuck, but thats alot of work, so will happen a ways down the track when i have more time to do it properly. for now P clips will suffice, there are also no trumpets under the filters yet, and the filteres need a good clean!

IMAG0129.jpg

IMAG0130.jpg

• Like 5

bit of a bitter sweet start to the day. but its still mostly fucking awesome!

after some issues last night where my starter would hardly crank the engine over, i came to the conclusion overnight that the earth was bad and probably my timing wasnt good cause i only did it by eye, so this morning i re ran and cleaned the earth, and properly timed the distributor, hit the key to see if it would spin properly and it promptly fired up in a split second! 

And from there i ran the engine at 2500 RPM for 20 mins as per the kelford cams instructions to run the cam in, and while that was happening i ran around the engine checking everything for leaks etc, all checked out mint, 

so first test drive time it was! and shit me does this engine run awesome, it just has a perfect amount of get up and go, and i wasnt even leaning on it very hard, im just incredibly happy with it and how drive able it is. 

que the last corner into my street, the BMW radiator fan that i had used exploded and put a hole in my radiator. which isnt the end of the world and after a quick check of the engine all i could do was laugh, probably because of the adrenaline from riding my new engine, and the fact the radiator was shit anyway, 

no videos yet because i thought to myself "ill just take it for a quick drive and then video it"

Ha!

• Like 1

Huge props to Burnside radiators! i took them 2 radiators at lunch time (dads starlet one needed the same attention) and had them back at 3! for 40+gst each

the guy really knows his stuff and did a superb job, would highly recommend!

none the less here is a video of the car running, 5 mins later i decided to check the timing and found is was about 15 degress out haha, runs much smoother now, but i still need to balance the carbs to get it running perfect, 

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

This has now been brought up to blenheim for me to finish, wof and drive!

i took it for a short blat to get my head back into the right space for tuning and to get a feel for what the engine is wanting in terms of fueling, and its almost certainly running a touch lean. 

however, it seems the voltage regulator has shat itself and it drained the brand new battery in about half an hour. 

i missed this heap. 

IMAG0321.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

today i spent a good couple of hours pulling my carbs off, rejetting to 2mm jets (it seems the rule of thumb of 1000th of your engine capacity for jets holds some weight), going over all of the air adjust screws and setting them to what research has led me to believe is a good setting, and roughly setting the butterflys balance with a piece of mig wire, and feeling for the same friction between each butterfly and throat, and then again with a piece of hose from my ear to the intake and balance them till they have the same sound, 

and it is running really quite beautifully!, it still spits a wee bit when its cold, and there seems to be a slight flat spot around 1500 rpm, but it pulls very very nicely above this and will cruise very happily.

next on my plan is, as per governersams motorbike induction knowledge, i will make up a plenum to ensure the carbs receive nice smooth air, and will continue to really fine tune the engine. there also seems to be a leak from my brake booster or something, and when i press the brakes, i can hear a sucking noise and the engine rpms drop or stall out, 

• 2 weeks later...

turned the air/fuel screws out one turn more (4.5 turns for reference)  and its certainly lessend the poor transistion between idle and main circuits, i could probably twist them out another .5 - 1 turns and have it running pefect with no filters, but im gonna leave it as is and wait till i get an airfilter/airbox on there. 

• 1 month later...

i just bought an innovate LC-1 wideband controller so i can get up the A/F ratios properly, came to the conclusion, that i have it very very close, but anything now it just twisting screws and trying to feel for a difference, this is really the only way to go to make sure its running properly and safely. 

ive also grabbed the factory exhaust system which i might chuck back on while i set it up, because i think the extractors have some pinhole leaks and this will possible mess up the o2 sensor. 

other than that, i have to swap all the ball joints in the front suspension, sort out a loose UJ on the driveshaft, and i should be able to get a wof again!

I went to drive the corona out to the engineering club on base where im gonna replace all the front ball joints, install wideband setup, and prepare it for a wof.

only to find that the starter solinoid has shat itself.. joy of joys, i guess ill just add it to tomorrows shopping list then.

Discussion Thread //oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/30375-flibois-1971-toyota-corona/?hl=%2Bfliboi%26%2339%3Bs+%2B1971+%2Btoyota+%2Bcorona

Edited by AllTorque
  • Like 1

happy birthday to you

happy birthday to you

happy birthday dear coronas front suspension, steering, starter motor and air fuel ratios

happy birthday to you 

IMAG0409.jpg

LH & RH upper and lower ball joints 

LH & RH tie rod ends 

Starter motor brushed and solinoid (not pictured)

Innovate LC-1 wideband sensor

let the fun begin, 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

all that suspension shit is now in, no photos, cause who gives a fuck about fucked old ball joints. 

starter motor overhauled, new solinoid, and brushed, almost didn't do the brushes cause i don't have a soldering iron big enough, but decided id take it into work and make it the avionics guys problem. glad i did, cause the original brushes were hairs within their llife. should go strong now for many years.

installed the wideband setup, and i have to say im quite impressed with the state of tune i was able to get it to with a bit of reading up on how the carbs work, peoples help here, and general seat of the pants tuning, it all hovers between 12.5 - 15 depending on the load/rpm etc. and from what ive seen on the net, thats pretty good. though its hard to get a definitive answer because everyone says, every engine wants a different curve, how am i meant to know what this engine wants then!! 

i had everything running through the laptop and the software works very well, but i couldnt help but think that the laptop was awkward to work with while driving, so i wonderd if there was a way to outout my laptop screen to an android tablet/phone, and came across a nifty peiced of software called iDisplay, best $5.50 spent ever! it works amazingly and uses the tablet or phone as a second screen, being able to drag things accross ect. it works over the wifi network. but while driving i simply setup the androids portable hotspot, connect the laptop to that and all is well! i will have many  other non car related uses for this and im sure some of you guys could aswell!

IMAG0413.jpg

IMAG0414.jpg

(its a bit fat at idle but thats and easy fix)

though this brings me to an actual question, and i might need to post it in the other thread i had to reach the right people, but ill try here, 

as you may or may not know from said thread, at about 3500rpm at cruise (100kmh) at roughly 1/8th throttle, i had issues with the exhaust glowing hot. i suspected it was lean, and the wideband has cinfirmed this, as in this condition it can spike to around 16.5 maybe worse, but if i feather the throttle a bit, it comes back to 14.5ish. this makes me think its on a transition point, does anyone know what part of the carb i need to be looking at to fix this up? the internet is not being very helpful 

• 3 weeks later...

Merry Christmas corona

IMAG0425.jpg

sorry youre stuck in a garage 300kms away from me. but first thing on the to do list when i get back after xmas is to swap the exhuast manifold and attempt a wof! cant wait to dort this around legally again

also got a new speedo cable to replace the snapped one i have currently.

(edit - i know the wheels not genuine, how ever i cant afford a genuine one and this is quite a good solid replica, just cause i know someones gonna mention it)

Also i ended up having to go with the K&N filters, that initially i thought was going to look like utter shit, but ive not got enough room to run an airbox like i had intended. 

IMAG0419.jpg

But i was glad to see the filters actually look pretty good. im not a fan of the rubber tops, but at some point i want to make up some 'Edelbrock' style tops, and change the word edelbrock for mikuni 

350-4236.jpg

not sure how ill do it, might need to find someone with a mill.

i also need to tidy up the wiring in the engine bay. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

so this is now getting a megasquirt ECU that will run the ignition map, allowing me to do things like advance on light load etc. it should pay itself off in fuel savings rather quickly i expect. 

there's a few other features that will help me tune the engine even better, and so also get it running as smooth as possible, 

• Like 1