BlownCoronas 1971 Toyota Corona

updates have been pretty no existent. but progress has not! 

had 10 days total off work over the Xmas break, and excluding the obvious days where i had to participate in festive activities, i went hard spinning spanners on this car. 

a brief list of the work ive completed;

• finished bolting the engine in
  • fitted starter motor + wiring
  • oil and filter change
  • change over all the front pulleys
  • mount the radiator forward and fill fluids
  • modify fuel tank to suit efi (this may require a surge tank in the future but ill see how it goes)
  • fit a fuel pump from a celica XX with an edelbrock prefilter
  • run fuel hard line with rivnuts and pclips to lvvta spec, and hosed up the original fuel line as an efi return. 
  • fit fuel filter and hose up the engine bay for the new system. 
  • extract the wiring needed to run the engine from the entire body loom i was given (this took so bloody long) 
  • remove the brake booster and fit the master straight to the firewall, and hose it up (this will likely get modified further but i wanted a baseline) 
  • painted and polished rocker covers

and probably quite a bit of other little things ive forgotten already, but none the less, today i hit the key and it fired right up and it runs so well. im stoked. shes idling a little high and hunting a bit, but there are a couple of vacuum lines not hooked up so im not worried. 

one think i didn't get sorted was cutting and welding the down pipe to my existing exhaust system as i had loaned my welder out. so it sounds like a rally car currently. 

Things to do now are;

wrap the wiring loom and put it through the firewall.

bleed the brakes

sort out a throttle cable that lets me have more than the current 40% throttle!

join up exhuast

go for a drive!

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

things i have done now. 

fit a mazda demio throttle pedal, got it from pick a part as it was loosely the right size, and just needed a small adapter plate, but the main reason is that it actually had a metal pedal. also fit the throttle cable from it, but had it shortend slightly and a different firewall fitting to suit. must get a pic of the setup at some point

finished the loom and wrapped it in tape. looks tidy enough, but will likely get changed again when i put the ecu and supercharger on in the future so haven't gone crazy with this. 

welded the exhaust flanges back in the right spots. its still bloody low to the ground and scrapes on everything. so since i dont want to raise the suspension, i think 14" wheels might be on the cards, ive had 14s on it before and the guard gap is the same so the style isn't upset. but its a good inch or so higher (with 60 sidewall tires)

hosed up the factory master cylinder minus the booster and bled the brakes, i think ive still got a bit of air in it though, but its not at all terrible. will still likely modify it to be better in the near future, might also have a line on some 4 pots that apparently would fit this, so will see how that plays out.

took it for a thrash! and man does it go well. the car starts first pop effortlessly and simply performs. its quite noticeably faster than the old engine and revs out much further. its really very enjoyable to drive. sounds great too

there is one weird thing though (and honestly im so stoked that there is only one issue!) and that is, sometimes, but not always and not predictably, the engine will pulse, its seems like the engine is cutting fuel for half a second before reintroducing it, the engine never actually stops, and it only drops about 200rpm before it comes back. itll sit like that for ever if you let it, and if you crack the throttle i revs out like normal, and sometimes returns to idle with its pulse, sometimes its back to a smooth idle. i do believe i have a vac leak somewhere as its idling at 1500rpm and i cant close the throttle any further, but i doubt its the cause of this.  have had a suggestion from the guy i got the motor from that it could be the ECU coolant temp sensor 

discussion thread here for any input //oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/30375-flibois-1971-toyota-corona/page-7

need to charge my go pro and get some driving footage!

• Like 4

over the past couple days ive had about 2.5 hours seat time in this, and i love it, the new engine just works so well. 

couple little things ive noticed and will sus in the near future is that weird pulse, and there is sometimes a rattle from the timing chain on cold start which will probably call for new tensioners, though it could a do with a touch thicker oil, as i just used the 15w40 i had on hand and im going to engine clean and dump it after a few kms

my mechanic brother enlightened me to the fact that there is an actual order of wheels to bleed the brakes, so this should sort the air bubble im sure i have. he also noticed the firewall flexing due to the booster, and its brace being removed, so i will make up a new brace and that will also help with pedal feel im sure.

The radiator fan also sucks, but Im not surprised, it's not cowled properly and its a China unit I bought from scarles for cheap, but still too expensive really. 

took some flash pics with a proper dslr and got a short gopro video of driving. i sure do enjoy looking at it.

DSCF1427.jpg

DSCF1432.jpg

DSCF1437.jpg

DSCF1430.jpg

• Like 5

• 3 months later...

Have been pretty quiet on the build thread front. Got the 18rgeu engine fitted and driving well before using it for my wedding car. ran awesomely all day and looked great!

5ss2pxoo.hmb.jpg
p4thxfol.53d.jpg

once the wedding was over i started on the supercharger side of things.

the factory air con bracket with some chopping pretty much fits perfectly up to the blower and ill make the top mount after all the piping is done. 

spent today getting all the pipe work sorted and its now ready to weld up, just need to find someone to do it! 

cnqaqfs2.uzw.jpg
g3ulfbj3.sx5.jpg
grnnack0.qqs.jpg
aea5raiy.iae.jpg

space is at an absolute premium, so have been taking my time planning the whole setup out. there's not alot left to do, but im not looking forward to wiring in the ecu again. 

notes - the center silicone joiner isn't the right size, just sitting there to show what i plan, ill pick up a 63mm joiner with the bubble thingy in the middle to provide flexibility in the system and that pipe under the blower/inlet is just scrap metal helping support the whole lot for the pic

disussion thead - //oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/30375-flibois-1971-toyota-corona/&page=8

• Like 9

• 1 month later...

very happy today to discover/finally get around to test fitting,  my modified dizzy, with the trigger wheel and pickup, from the old bike carbed 18r fits in the 18rgeu (although i sent both dizzy retainers off with the engines when i sold them!, the RG dizzy has a cast on retainer)

but this means a bunch less work to do all over again, and i was secretly hoping that it would plug and play! 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

So i have been pretty quiet on the corona front, 

Firstly due to needing/wanting to build a new bike for QCR Dirtmasters '17, which saw me spending every evening in the garage for the best part of a month smashing out this pretty wild gn125 powered XL80(mostly) build. 

Dirt_Masters_QCR_6523.thumb.jpg.24f314b99dc9ec3228491c6595884e1a.jpg

Whilst all that was happening i went through a couple of jobs and money was very tight (the xl80 build was only possible thanks to the epic group that is QCR!) but things have started to come right, and ultimately ill be making a big career change in the future, but its almost guaranteed financial security so onward with the projects!

things i have done but dont have pictures of are 

fit the 450cc injectors

Modify the fuel rail to have a AN- fitting on the regulator side to facilitate a boost referenced fuel regulator which i am yet to purchase.

die grind all the internals of the pipe work after the welding, and formed a bead for the silicone joiner to secure  over. 

make a top bracket for the blower so now its rock solid (you can see this in following pictures)

Paint the new wheels and polish the spokes. now need to polish the lips before purchasing tires and fitting. 

Yesterday i set up all my heat lamps and gave the blower, brackets and pipework a good coat of wrinkle black and im so stoked with how it looks. the pipes not look almost like factory castings. the intake pipe will need a touch up as an area obviously didn't have enough heat to wrinkle up but no big deal.

the HT leads will also be run underneath the manifold. longer ones may be required but i have a few sets here to try out.

sorry about the blury photos, i had to hold my lamps up and take the picture with one hand since i cant roll the car out of my gloomy garage!

ldvhxwxu.tym.jpg
smrbqgxp.2yn.jpg
jilyv13l.sg0.jpg
gy2alucb.w24.jpg
vowdiqjs.hvf.jpg

Discussion - 

• Like 8

• 1 month later...

Today i went around to my brothers house and used his ta63 carina as a lathe, and polised up the WORK Lesco Pulse 1s. 

all i can say is that i am so far beyond stoked with these wheels. my cellphone pictures dont do it justice but the fitment and style suit this car down to a t

4hj0lh1x.vyz.jpg
wcrc0f4k.vud.jpg
rfzi2nih.i1u.jpg
xzh0zzio.hio.jpg

and a couple nicer but still cellphone photos of how the engine is looking,

2p43nhi3.kcq.jpg
rc342vvz.0mc.jpg
4htpfcoq.ree.jpg

its getting dangerously close to firing up, with the only things left to do are

finish welding the tensioner (have wire now) 

wire up the ecu and a sensors

hook up a throttle cable

track down a water pump pulley

discussion - 

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

today the company i work for held a track day, nothing like getting paid to blast around in your car, and some serious race cars! (s12 silvia is even OS worthy) 

got some really good tuning in, in the morning before i snapped off the secondary header pipe. the car sounded like a rotary with massively unequal headers, think 30cm for 2 cylinders and 2.5m for the other two! 

last week i discovered a setting in the ecu that was wrong and the cause of all my hard start and fouling problems, with that corrected the map was super rich and required re-tuning pretty much from scratch, after the track day its still not 100% there, but it is closer. had i had the full day i probably would have it sorted but such is life! bloody good day. the corona is a horrible race car, but is going to make an awesome street car. 

the car is making alot more power with the fueling corrected. so im considering running less boost for the same desired power, and having a more reliable engine. currently its running about 2.5 - 3 psi while i tune the sub 100kpa area of the map. 

I would love some proper headers, but for now ill just weld up the cracked pipe and stay focused on getting it cert ready. 

i fucking love the look of the car with the spoiler and new wheels.  

• Like 5

also some pictures of the completed painted spoiler. the Toyota logo is stenciled stainless steel and the whole lot clear coated. the bootlid is painted but had some problems with it. so ill just fit the spoiler to the original bootlid because i like it very muchDSCF4493.thumb.JPG.101d0bd2cea781739d1b3ffe3abbb6e2.JPGDSCF4491.thumb.JPG.d9c835c27766d995b55c218d3c1ca511.JPG

• Like 4

Remove the cracked extractor section. It's pretty fucked, I'm very close to just building some flows for it, but I don't need another side project distracting from getting it certed.

So I'll just weld them up as is, they'll probably fail again, but hopefully that will be after cert and I can then make something nice for it. 

20180829_212012.jpg

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Got a few items back from a friend in the airforce. 

Reupholstered the rear seat back rest and wrapped the factory steering wheel. 

One day I'll probably do a version two of the wheel with some extra padding wrapped around the wheel to make it thicker, but I like it very much. 

20180923_173757.jpg

• Like 1