BlownCoronas 1971 Toyota Corona

So i figured i should finally throw up a project thread for this

discussion: //oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/30375-flibois-1971-toyota-corona/?hl=%2Bfliboi%26%2339%3Bs+%2B1971+%2Btoyota+%2Bcorona

its been close to a year since i took ownership of this fine piece of Toyota engineering,

it seems a few people have had contact with it over the years, all around the country.

I bought it from a guy who rescued it from an idiot that was putting a rotory in it.

he put an 18r and 5 speed into it.

I put a weber 32/36 into that engine, thanks to help from Mutiny and from Valiant, and countless OSers that offered advice,

will eventually be running dual 32/36.

First thing i did was throw the sweet headlight grills on that have been in my fathers garage for years, back when he owned a corona the next model along.

24217106105289422938100.jpg

i enjoy my music so i put together a tidy boot setup to make use of the weird shaped space towards the back of the boot,

ended up with a rather large stereo while still having very usable boot space,

Pioneer head unit,

Response 6.5" components in the doors,

fusion 6x9" & 4" on the rear shelf,

Alpine v12 4ch and Precision Power 4ch amps in the boot rack,

kenwood dB+ sub woofer in the boot setup,

Incorporated spare wheel well in the boot setup.

Probably overkill, but a majority of the gear has been gifts, and i couldn't sell it for what its worth to me anyway.

Plus cant argue that its a damn nice sounding system, its really balanced.

34535135338463166287100.jpg

i also upholstered the parcel tray and the dash top with the same black carpet.

then i bought some 17"s cause that's what the cool kids do.

dscf1127rb.jpg

i picked up a harly exhaust tip for $20, welded it to a small barrel muffler and welded it on, i like the engine note, not particularly louder at idle and cruise, but can get rowdy when you play with the revs.

dscf1124i.jpg

then sold the 17's cause they didn't fit right and i had a craving for more a3a

20110326122534.jpg

50% thanks to Ridal 50% thanks to Ewan at Hayotonka.com

Then some idiot drove into it while i was out purchasing paint.

from this

dscf1326fk.jpg

to this,

imagejpeg0p.jpg

at least the rear bumper is getting sent away for straightening and re chroming :D

Thanks to 4ag_Addict for the new lights and to my mate Brian, Briannz (just joined looking for a dato ute) for working at the panel beaters i can trust.

im picking the car up monday, and then getting stuck right into panel and paint, will update with pics as this happens.

Also have a brand new black carpet kit to go in, water temp, oil pressure and vacuum gauges to go in, a mk1 golf big front lip to modify and fit and an Evo 4 (?) oil cooler ready to plumb up as soon as i buy the lines.

• Like 2

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

some good progress has been made on panel and paint, should see the light of day again by the end of the week :D

apologies for averages photos.

img20110807185636.jpg

img20110807185646.jpg

Also picked up these for a tidy sum

179731545full.jpg

out of a Porsche 924, i doubt the rear seats will fit, but they have good leather on them so ill proably keep them incase i ever need to make a repair on the fronts

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Been a while since i put up an update, apologies for the poor quality phone pictures

got the Porsche 924 seats in, went it extremely well, only needed to re drill the 2 bolt holes on one Toyota rail, and with a piece of angle iron, drill the bolt pattern for the Toyota rail, and the seat bolt pattern on the other angle.

No more sore back on long rides!

img20110921182122.jpg

Also got the black carpet kit in, install went alright and it fits okay, a bit loose in some areas but ill live

img20110921182129.jpg

Also made up a carper pod and installed the vacuum, oil pressure and water temperature gauges, gear boot (thanks to i500gt) and the awesome boso inspired gear shifter that nvmyvl was making up for a few guys, his work was stunning and it fits perfectly, also very nice to drive with, and clears the steering wheel by about 2mm

img20110921182146.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

picked up a can of nice metallic blue hammer finish paint for the cam cover.

engine bay still needs A LOT of tidying though.

img20111017180729.jpg

img20111017180705.jpg

Ive also finally decided on a carb setup for the future, the weber 32/36 runs extremely well so no rush, but ill be powering this with bike carbs, likely Yamaha r1', should be able to have a bit of fun there.

• 2 weeks later...

grabbed a roll of 35% tint from mutiny for a 5ver and had a go at tinting my windows today, came out aright, not perfect, but good enough for me to roll with. and ive decided in time ill be getting it done professionally. but i think it suits the light tint and it should hopefully keen inside temps down a bit.

dscf1402m.jpg

• 1 month later...

Coupe grill lyfe

img20111221084158.jpg

needs some touching up but is in otherwise mint condition,

also scored another sedan grill (like my original) so if anyone is after one, ill let it go cheap as.

scored 4 doors with glass and window winders (that i need like hell for my drivers door and its wonky glass)

2 front guards, which ill be throwing into a shop to get made perfect then onto my car before the respray,

front valance

boot lid

and a whole heap more uninteresting but potentially useful stuff.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
  • 4 months later...
Guest Fliboi

How does 60 including freight sound? It won't include a center badge but can do for another 25 bucks if you need one. Drop me a pm some time. And start a build thread!!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Fliboi

HOLY SHIT AN UPDATE!?

So tonight i purchased this

256573325.jpg

After about 2 years of wanting to run this on bike carbs its going to happen.

Im gearing up to undertake a full engine build very soon. only thing left to buy is a couple internal components, and to send a camshaft away to get ground up. will also look into places to send the head to be shaved down a few thou.

excited about finally buying a set of carbs after all these years of talking about it.

they are from a Kawasaki ZX10. not the most expensive set, but since it may be a very tricky item to set up, i didnt want to blow a huge amount of coin on something that may never work just right, but they have been used successfully on 2000cc ford motors, so i expect no real issues.

• Like 1

Guest Fliboi

Carbs turned up broken.

Absolutly gutted, getting a refund, but now need to start looking for carbs all over again.

fuck my bad luck with ordering in parts, so over all the broken and wrong items people send me.

Guest Fliboi

261489291.jpg

Picked up my extractors today, turned out to be brand new bar a few scratches, that sticker on the collector is the original one since it was sold by magoo mufflers, not even any soot inside. good buy for $50

• 1 month later...

i was hoping to have a picture for this post. but i ran out of welding wire halfway into assembling my intake manifold. 

none the less, a MASSIVE thanks to Ben (phiber_optik) for drawing my up an intake flange on the computer that i had laser cut and Sam (mutiny) for lending me his metal drop saw a couple of times so i could precisely cut my manifold runners. and lastly thanks to everyone that had input in my other thread on the design of manifolds, its all going very well, and im exited to see the final product of what is really my first fabrication project. 

hoping to have the manifold finished this week and ill source some silicon joiners to suit and then im oh so close to running these carbs, i can confirm that its going to look crazy with the extractors and manifold i have!

Productive night!

got my manifold all welded together, needs some cleaning up with a flapper disk, but all seems pretty good. ill also need to add a port for the brake booster.

IMG_20130604_211748.jpg

IMG_20130604_211804.jpg

Have ordered some silicon hose to join the carbs up, then i need to shave a little bit from my extractors to make them fit and then its all on!

very please with how its all turning out, wild colours for the manifold are in the pipeline too!, 

also mods, could i get a new page already?! perhaps even chop this page in half? it seems to contain half the internet

• 2 weeks later...

Ive been busy over the last couple of weeks prepping my sisters starlet for paint, and in the down time of that car, ive been building my carb manifold. 

bar forgetting to weld in a boss for the brake booster, i have finished and have them sitting in primer! im going to paint them lime green or something once i weld the threaded fitting in. 

i am VERY happy with how they turned out and i cant wait to get them in the car with the headers and get to tuning. 

IMG_20130613_200411.jpg

IMG_20130613_200354.jpg

i dont know how to make the photos smaller sorry. 

• Like 2