BlownCoronas 1971 Toyota Corona

BlownCorona

2 hours ago, Roman said:

If you gear the supercharger for millions of boost in midrange with the plan of bleeding the air out, you'll potentially be at risk of overspeeding the supercharger by high rpm. Then from what I hear they melt the telfon linings off the rotors then things get worse from there.

Also you're heating the air twice or thrice by recirculating it, which not only means hotter air at the outlet but less cooling from incoming air through the charger to keep it a little cooler I guess.

I'd be more inclined to just ditch that hot air and get more through.

Yeah can find the rpm specs online for them.

good point about the heat though.

if the charger was recirculating on it self and not causing pressure in the intake would it still create a lot of heat though?

I was more thinking about lowering pressure at low rpm to help with his high comp issue...?

48CBAE6E-2FAC-47FA-995C-0A8C4F550965.png

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Im with ol mate @Roman on this one.  They are bad at heating the air running normal let alone overspinning and air being sent through for another go.     

Also the e throttle idea is basically the same as what the factory sc14 stepper motor does . Combined with the sc clutch  can control when an how much boost . Not sure how much the sc clutch likes being tuned on at all the rpm, but was switching one on at 4000rpm for a short time and didnt nuke itself

• 2 weeks later...

Also, have just jumped in here, have not read the earlier posts: Twin screw (Lysholm / IHI) etc compressors make less heat per boost, yes?

My understandnig is that they snip off a packet of air at low pressure, squeeze it, the squirt that out on the high pressure side.

So it's not pressing againts the high pressure the whole time it's rotataing:

overall, less force x distance

= less physics-work (joules)

= less power (work/time) consumed per boost?

• 3 years later...

not alot of progress unfortunately, but certainly not abandoned. 

it spent more than a year in storage when i sold my house at the worst time in history and got stuck living at my parents. and then motivation and money has taken a heavy hit over the last year. its in my garage now and id really like to kick myself back into building the TT engine and hush the voices telling me to just buy an old single cam 18r and drive it. 

same store with the lotus 7 and the crown got sold for similar reasons and modern daily acquired to in an attempt to free up some time for other projects.