Goat's Datsun 240z.

So...... some of you may know, and some of you may not, that I in fact own a 240z.

They have pretty much dream cars for me for years, and this one happened to come up at a time where I could do a sweet deal for it, not long after I sold my MS-55 crown to Jordan

So, shes a bit of a whore, but to me, that is kinda the way i like my cars, nice enough to thrash and park and drive without having to worry about it.

Anyway Some info

its a 1972, that has had a bit of a racing life. I believe it was brought over from Singapore in the 90's, already setup as a bit of a race car. has flares etc on it.

Since then it has had a few owners. I knew the last owner for a few years through my old work, so that is good.

Its got a stroker 3.1 using an LD28 crank, however i dont know any specs on the motor besides that. but I am just about to pull the motor down for a rebuild due to low oil pressure etc, so hopefully find out what is inside.

It has tripple webbers already, and some form of extractors. In the few drives I have had it goes fucekn well, lots of torque, which is what these motors are all about.

Also has a winged sump and a few other bits and pieces, stuff i didnt know were even on there haha

Also has 4pot front calipers, fuck knows what off, and an r32 skyline LSD diff head in the rear.

And has a bolt in half cage and a bucket seat.

its a bit of a shame really, as Although I do love the ratty matt / gloss black mix of paint, the zed was originally orange, and I really like my cars in factory looking colours. But oh well.

So yeah, some pics etc

this is how i bought it. Covered in stickers. yuck, and superlite wheels. also yuck. So I managed to sell the wheels back to the guy I bought it off, and pulled all the stickers off besides the fucken sweet ones (rising sun, jeah)

P2210197.jpg

P2210198.jpg

P2210199.jpg

P2210200.jpg

FUCK YEAH!

P2210201.jpg

Pretty much how it looks now (besides the wheels)

P2210202.jpg

P2210204.jpg

Also bought these New old stock universal mirrors which are now on it, However the angles are all up the shit haha

P2210205.jpg

So yeah...... just started removing motor this evening, however camera is in need or a charge, and a new charger is on its way, so Once I can take pictures i will take photos!!!!

Plan is getting this done in time for the August track meet day thing, So have a bit of shit ahead of me heh

Awesome, so happy. LOVE THIS CAR

TALK SOME SHIT HERE

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=28148

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Gah, update with no pics as I dont have a cable for camera hah

Anyway, motor is out, and have started pulling motor to bits. head is off, and has been rebuilt and ported at some stage, so that is super, cam looks pretty factory spec but then again how do ya really know haha.

Might price up some thing fancy,

Um, Bores still have some hone marks, but also has some score marks... So might try some new pistons and an over bore. just not sure what the best pistons to use in there are.

other than that not much to report. Cant wait to get the crank out tomorrow to find out what that is like. just need a punch so I can mark the Caps etc.

So yeah, magic, hopefully have pictures tomorrow

Right, An update with pictures

Cheery

So motor is now in 1 zillion pieces

Crank, rods etc removed.

Big ends and mains are 25 over, which is all good. bearings had some scores in them, and the thrust bearing was down through the harding.

However crank looks like it has survived and wont need a re-machine, but will get a recomnditioners opinion to confirm.

If I was going to guess. I would say the motor ha gotten pretty hot at some stage, which would explain the bearings and there scores, but would even more so explain why Piston number one has some epic scoring on it.

Not sure what the pistons are, pretty certian they are factory but need to do some reading and some measurements to confirm anything. current bore size is 88mm.

So anyway, picture time

The car as it sits now

IMG_6606.jpg

no Engine

IMG_6607.jpg

oh yeah, the flywheel had some pretty decent high spots on it etc so that will need a machine for sure

IMG_6608.jpg

One engine sitting pretty

IMG_6609.jpg

IMG_6610.jpg

As you can see its nicely ported. migth see how well its port matched etc

IMG_6615.jpg

One Cam, looks good

IMG_6617.jpg

looks like I'm going to need a new ones of these, stupid corrosion

IMG_6619.jpg

IMG_6620.jpg

one crank etc

IMG_6624.jpg

What the bores look like

IMG_6625.jpg

Emtpy like KY's Sole

IMG_6626.jpg

piston number one, which the scoring, Ring lands look mint etc, so i assume its from either over heated motor, or i guess the super low oil pressure

IMG_6628.jpg

And one that isnt scored

IMG_6631.jpg

And a bad picture of a crank

IMG_6632.jpg

So yeah, Goodie good times

Plan at this time, replace big ends and mains assume a second opioion comes up trumps with them

And get some new pistons and over bore the block assuming they arnt crazy expensive.

Just not sure what pistons to use.

So suggestions would be amazing

Allan

Not much of an update,

taking engine to rebuilder to get them to measure everything As i dont have the gear, and then decide what my options are.

Work mate is pretty sure that just a hone will fix everything with new bearings etc

Also..... I am struggling to decide what to do with the look of the engine, whether i get everything polished and shiny, or do the rocker cover in black wrinkle finish, and polish up the carbs or something.......

Silly things to be worring about at this stage, but if i want stuff polished, now is the time

oh Well,

just got the call from the Engineer

looks like the pistons are shot, the have shrunk 8 tho, clearly from the epic amoutns of heat this had taken in the past.

So new pistons are currently being priced

Good news though, crank will come up mint with a polish, and the bores will probabaly be sweet with a hone, however we wont know until they have been honed.

looks like they are Z22 pistons, which are good.

So if the bore needs more than a hone, then will need to go z22 plus 1.5mm over

So thats all good and bad

bad because new pistons are going to cost coin haha

So over the last few days well in my mulitple wasted states, i managed to make this happen

From this

IMG_6647.jpg

To this

IMG_6654.jpg

So i'm pretty happy

Now I just need to try and make the carbs a little prettier also

Might try polish and steel wool and see what happens

IMG_6644.jpg

Gah, motor has been honed and is not looking good at all.

So Now i need to make a decission, I can possible bore out to 89mm using z24 pistons, and paying stupid money on a head gasket to suit, on a block i dont like that much due to a known fault around one of the frost plugs

So next option is find another block, and hone that to 88mm using the z22 1mm over size pistons, Or, 87mm using standard bore z24 pistons.

I'm not to sure which road to take, and they are all moneyish things that my money ish might not make up in time for August track day.

I kind of like the idea of the 87mm pistons, as that gives me options later on, rather than going maxuimn everything and then having a rooted block if something goes wrong

Gahhhhhhhh........

So i got another L28 engine while I was in wellington this weekend

I stripped it down at my mates work and left it with him, as they do engine rebuilding (custom works in NaeNae. Fucken good cunts

So its all ready for the rebore to suit the pistons, But.! i have no pistons!!!!!!!!!!

i dont know what the pistons are out of the old engine... they measure at 88mm diameter, So logic says z22. However, from what i have seen Z22 pistons have dished crowns.

the pistons I removed from the old engine have Flat top pistons pretty much....... So now I'm not sure!

And now I'm starting to worry I'm going to run out of time darn it.

Still, have corona as back up for track day, but that is besides the point!

So back up plan is now in Action.

Muiltple posts no picture fails!!!!!!!!!!

hot240.jpg

L28 block, honed. factory l28 everything. new rings and bearings

My ported head, carbs cam etc.

Should go alright.

have been thinking of this route over the last few days. then Tim13 said i should do it. And i thought, fuck yeah might as well

Build up super sweet motor later.

• 2 weeks later...

Cricky,

So many builds going on I see this was bumped to second page haha

SO its been mental

Block got cleaned, honed and decked (after the broken head stud was removed from the block)

Pick it up at swap meat thanks to hemi and bizzo

Since then, I painted the block, inserted new frost plugs.

then thanks to some timing luck the cranks got polished and some big end bearings and rings turned up on friday

So then it began, started gaping the rings etc (this shit takes heaps of time, i really had no idea how long it would tsake to put A motor together)

Anyway, the crank, rods, pistons with new rings, head and timing chain are all done

had an issue where for some reason one of the head studs broke. So I had to pull off the front cover again, and the head, to remove.

Still not sure why it happened as I simply un wound the broken stid out of the block.

So that set me back as far as time wise goes, as I had to make new front cover gaskets etc

But anyway. Hope to have it running tuesday night, and start running it in

From here its sump and oil pump on, paint and fit rocker cover. Fit machined flywheel, and box etc, then mash into hole

Pics!

Block cleaned and machined

IMG_6705.jpg

painted and frosted

IMG_6709.jpg

Rocker cover ready for wrinkle paint

'

IMG_6711.jpg

fuel block ready for polishing (is done but no photo)

IMG_6712.jpg

Block

IMG_6714.jpg

B,lock with a crank'

IMG_6717.jpg

With rods and pistons

IMG_6721.jpg

IMG_6722.jpg

Head, timing, covers, all that shit done after a hard weekend

Thank god for white spirits haha (vodka and gin btw)

IMG_6723.jpg

And the mess as a result

IMG_6726.jpg

Lack of pictures is gay, however

So spent till 100 last night battling this thing.

Essentially the motor is now in the hole, however, to my delight, I noticed when i was bolting up the gearbox cross member that the clutch fork has sepertaed from the bearing carrier....

So now i need to pul the gear box off again, not an easy task as it took me 1 hour just to get it on right.

So I'm not looking forward to another battle this evening. Still, good progress really. With some luck everything should be bolted on tonight ready for test driving / running in.

Shame it doesnt change the fact there is still heaps to do on the bike for summit also..

HAH

So i now have the motor all together, oil in the right holes, water etc

Have wound up the oil pressure so i know that is good, and have fuel at the carbs.

battery is a little low in charge due to epic winding over to get the oil pressure, so might swap for a new grunty one seeing as motor is all new and tight anyway.

tried to start but no go, probably timing or just a result of low battery. To late to check

Anyway some pics

Flywheel all machined and pretty

IMG_6727.jpg

Carbs and crap on

IMG_6730.jpg

Wrinkle finished rocker cover (got runs which was a fail)

IMG_6731.jpg

And it all back together (besides dizzy cap)

IMG_6733.jpg

IMG_6734.jpg

Wish i had more time to detail everything how I want it, however there is always later, like when i build up the 3.1

Anyway, another few hours work And i should be driving the bitch............ to taupo!

Heh, attempted to drive it to work after fucking around for ages getting timing / fuel to do it's thing.

in all my haste i had failed to notice the the bottom radiator hose touching the alternator cooling fan, So didnt get very far. however called my worker and he towed me into work.

trip down to repco netted me the perfect hose and now everything clears. Got it warm and checked timing, shit is perfect.

So now its time to go fuel up and take for a decent teste run on some flat roads to get it run in abit more

• 4 weeks later...

So bit of an update

For those who didnt know i made the track Day!

Was a fucken fun time, drive over the napier taupo was something else, glad I left when i did as there was some snow around, and it was on the brink of snowing at that time too

Um, the whole time it was coughing back through the carbs, i had kinda put it down to maybe oversized jets or something as it was tuned for a 3.1

However once at the track, i wasnt impressed at how well it was reving out, so once i did my running in oil change (at the track) i had a bit of a play with the timing.

Which i had some trouble with!

turns out when i chucked all the oil pump and dissy drive back in i didnt allow for the fact that the dissy can only go in one location on the shaft,

So i either ended up with not enough advance, or maybe a little to much

I opted for a little to much and it totally changed the vehicle!!!

however, it still also has low oil pressure. So i'm guessing the oil pump is well worn. I have a second hand one that i'm going to chuck in, and change the shaft at the same time to setup the timing correctly.

but all in all, freaken awesome

pic of it at the shit before leaving

IMG_6738.jpg

And yes, you can fit bikes into the back of Coupes!!

IMG_6739.jpg

And fuelling up once again at taupo

IMG_6741.jpg

magic. might post some pics from the track later on

• 1 year later...
Guest Seedy Al

Well, have been working away in this to ry get it some what sorted for nats

Was popping out of second gear, so pulled the box out and ripped it apart, found the shaft for first slash second gear has a bit iof wear where the detent goes, and was going to replace the synchro, but that was 330 plus, and 2 weeks ex japan

i dont got time for that shit

plus I have been informed you can adapt a s14 box pretty easy,m so would rather hold off for that, as then short shift kits etc are easy to come by

So the gear box went back together, put some redline oil in it, and added a few washers to the selcotr detends to try add a little more pressure

just sepnt a tiny bit of time checking timing etc as i read that with tripples you should be running 16 TDC instead of the factory 8.

Checked with timing light and mine was saying it was around 20. Was still not sure, so pulled number one plug and ran a screw driver down the hole while I turned it over to top dead center. According to my super awesome 360 degree crank dial wheel, it was reaching TDC at 10 degrees on the wheel.

Super. So I need to advance my timing by 6 degress

Sunds easy, until you find its totally maxed out.

So will pull the dizzy, and moddify the base plate to give me some extra advance.

hopefully will get rid of the damn spitting back through the carbs it has under light load.

Also got my semi slicks fit to the rims.

Also a mission. the tyres on the car were that old and hard they were a total cunt. and the Semis!

Well, they are super wide fior my 6.5 inch rims, and proved to be a major fuck about, but are on now. So I'm happy.

Also been filling in my lunchy breaks building up an A frame and mounts so i can tow it down to nats behind the crown,

that should be done pretty soon.

might chuck up pics later of the box for laughs

Guest Seedy Al

Um, right

Fuck

So I just took this for a drive to the pterol station so i could get some warmth into it to set the timing.

Sweet as, got back, checked timing and set it at 16 which is where it was meant to be but could never get to without modding the dissy

Revs a little high, but also keeps the oil pressure up so i can live with that

however since i did the rebuild i have always thought the top end sounded a bit rattly, so thought, well its warm i will pull the rocker cover off and reset the tappets, as i had not done it when I did the motor, just bolted the head on.

Firstly, it would seem that you need super narrow feeler gauges to get into the tappets.

but ignoring that, second thing i noticed, was that number 3 inlet rocker was totally just lying in the head, along with the retianer and a broken valve guid rocker, which is what the rocker acts on to open the valve.

So now I'm all like, WTF! wonder how long its been like that.

Sooooo, will have to go through my parts, and see if i have a spare.

If i dont i will have to pull the pin on this for nats, and take the crown round the track instead.

Which isnt a bad thing for me to be honest.

but yeah, will stop in at my lock up on the way home and see if I have what i need.

Crazy and dissapointing.

• 5 months later...