SP450andLE's Austin Mini 1000 LE

SP450andLE

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

no 1100 plz. build a screaming 998 or a 1275 based mobile plz.

I had one of these, albeit a clubman LE, as my first car. was awesome. such a sack, but solid as (no rot at all) and mechanically choice. killed 2 1100s though, but christ it took some punishment.

was boned as shit with hi-lo thingeys in there, weber downdraught which live son my bro's '75, and lcbs and shit that live on my sister's 1380.

wof guy hated me for how slammed it was,

lcb hated me for how I didn't care how slammed it was. smashed so many exhausts as a result.

everyone should learn to drive in a mini. teaches you so much about shit.

Pretty sure death in the 1100's is due to rod length to stroke ratio or some such? have seen a few give up the ghost around the centre main..

Sell hot 1100 and purchase factory 1275/1300 possibly? i have some old (real) photos of my mini somewhere, it used to rock some widened cooper s rims and a008's until i did the disc brake conversion..

Right, so I've decided to go for the 1100, and tune it up a bit (machined head, different cam, bigger exhaust/manifolds etc).

I have talked to several people about the 1100's and they all praise them quite a bit

- My Dad had an 1100, and he used to thrash it around Kaiwaka/Maungaturoto, and it never missed a beat. - He had a 2 1/2 inch exhaust, with a straight though tractor muffler too :mrgreen::mrgreen:

- My Dad's ex wife's neighbour had a mate with an 1100 Mini, and they spend basically a whole weekend with it around the coromandel, on the rev limiter the whole time. He said it eventually blew up, but lasted waaaay longer than they all expected.

So basically, if I get it to a reasonable state of tune, and don't thrash it over SH16 too much, it should be sweet :badgrin:

• 1 month later...

Got the 1100 engine out today.

Now time to start upgrading it! (As soon as goindf picks up the Clubman and gives me the cash :mrgreen: )

I was thinking... Would it be cool or uncool to paint the engine in crackle black, for a different sort of retro theme?

I wanna make it stand out, but stand out tastefully... :|

• 1 month later...

measure the diameter of the thraot. looks like a 1.5" form your pic. should be, on an 1100 or a late 998.

i wouldn't bother painting engine but that's just me. i'm a rough bugger.

also, upgrading to twin circuit brakes was the best thing i ever did to mine. even on drums.

allsooo, drop front subframe out so it's choicer to paint engine bay. piece of piss to do now that you're this far.

Kay, I'll measure it tomorrow.

And I do want to paint the engine, so I can lift the bonnet and actually be proud of what's under there.

And I cbf removing the subframe, I'll just paint it as is - I'm sick of having the thing sitting around, I have hardly had it going at all in the few years I have had it.

And I'll keep the brakes as they are, I think they work OK, they actually suit my driving style.

Oh, and I'll get around to putting elec ign in when I get some more monies...

Chur all :D

You can get the engine bay reasonably tidy for bugger all time / money. I didn't bother taking the subframe out of mine, there isn't much chance of rust etc around the front end.

Now is a good time to do a few of the simple things whilst the motor is out, replace the nasty bypass coolant hose, timing cover gasket, crank seals etc.. clutch hose check the flexible portion of the fuel supply and have a look at the rubber in the engine mounts..

• 2 months later...