Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So this happened.

IMAG0307.jpg

I'm not sure what's going on. These are the facts:

• I don't have spark
  • I can connect to the ECU with an ODB tool
  • There are no DTC's
  • The fly-by-wire throttle doesn't seem to be reading anything, which I think is unusual.
  • It has stuttered a little bit for the first 30 seconds the last few times I've started it
  • After work tonight it stuttered quite a bit for about a km then died. I thought it was out of gas. 
  • I have fuel pressure at the regulator in the engine bay.

I'm at a bit of a loss so far. But am shattered so hopefully it'll come to me in my sleep!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 10 months later...

It's so much better. It still gets some vibes but nothing like it used to. It happens when I accelerate from 50-100kph with the foot flat. It never used to happen with the old engine but it's just 'cos the new one can twist the diff nose higher. 

Most people put in something called a Ron Tyler diff mount but it's a bit of a hack if you ask me. 

Been liking ya build BTW; great attention to detail. 

It's so much better. It still gets some vibes but nothing like it used to. It happens when I accelerate from 50-100kph with the foot flat. It never used to happen with the old engine but it's just 'cos the new one can twist the diff nose higher. 

Most people put in something called a Ron Tyler diff mount but it's a bit of a hack if you ask me. 

Been liking ya build BTW; great attention to detail. 

Yea man I like your design, I havent seen it done like that before but makes a lot of sense. As a temp fix for mine i put dowels through the existing front diff mount so basicly it is one piece now, does the trick but not very elegant. I have been amassing diffs, axels, cvs and other junk to attempt to convert mine away from the old uni's as they clunk pretty hard. That is the winter project fingers crossed. What LSD are you now running?

Sweet, so your front mount is solid now? That was an option too but I was worried about vibrations. Also some peeps reckon it's a bad idea to have the diff part solid and part soft mounted as things start cracking, but I've got no experience with that. 

I was keen to go to CV's as well, but have left it for a later project. I'd probably just go this route if I did it to save all the hassle: http://www.wolfcreekracing.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=72&Itemid=61

My diff is a Nismo CLSD.

Sweet, so your front mount is solid now? That was an option too but I was worried about vibrations. Also some peeps reckon it's a bad idea to have the diff part solid and part soft mounted as things start cracking, but I've got no experience with that. 

I was keen to go to CV's as well, but have left it for a later project. I'd probably just go this route if I did it to save all the hassle: http://www.wolfcreekracing.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=72&Itemid=61

My diff is a Nismo CLSD.

Yea front mount is solid which stopped the banging when the diff nose lifted. Probably not really the best idea to do it how I have but was always meant to be a short term solution plus my engine doesnt make anywhere near the power yours does. Doesn't seem to have caused any major vibration issues (there always seems to be weird noises coming from the diff/uni's all the time anyway!) I am trying to use some hybrid abomination of Navara and Skyline stuff with the plan being that I can use an R33 CLSD or similar when it is all done. That wolf creek kit is definitely the best way to do it.

Sweet, I have some supposedly shortened S15 axles if they're any use to you? They're 27 spline I assume? I was gonna do something with them but they look too long too me and it all got too hard. I even designed some 3x2 CV to 4x1 adapters I was gonna get CNCd.

Yeah, my rear end makes some pretty funny noises too. I kinda hoped swapping the diff mount etc would sort them all out but there's still the occasional clunk when going from standstill. Just another thing on the very long list!

Would be interesting to see how those S15 axels compare to the Navara ones I have. Sounds like you are one step ahead of me here (like the brake caliper bracket) with regards to the adapter, if you dont mind I would be keen to check it out and maybe 3D print one. I should probably not be a dick and get the Wolf Creek setup...

You're welcome to the axles, they're just taking up valuable space. 

And gimme ya email and I can send you the drawings I have for the brake brackets. Keep in mind I've not actually used the drawings to make any brackets from. This chap used it as a starting point and CNC'd some thou: //oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/43593-datsun280zs-datsun-280z/?p=1323846

You're welcome to the axles, they're just taking up valuable space. [/size]

And gimme ya email and I can send you the drawings I have for the brake brackets. Keep in mind I've not actually used the drawings to make any brackets from. This chap used it as a starting point and CNC'd some thou: //oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/43593-datsun280zs-datsun-280z/?p=1323846

Ha ha yea that chump is good at stealing your hard work... Sweet that would be awesome bro, keen as to check out your car at some stage too..

My email is: anthony@soons.co.nz

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Mikey, that day you took me for a spin in this, it somewhat stole my heart. I was thinking about it for a week solid like it was some girl I'd met. However I had NO idea of the amount of hours and the detail you'd poured into this thing. Tonight I was on the phone to a chick friend in Wellington talking about a certain road trip that might occur in YAC (yet another car) soon, and on the topic of Nissans, I was telling her about your car. I said "there must be a build thread, so I'll find it for you". I found it. I read it. Even more impressed than I already was. 10/10 :-)

PS, I just bought a throttle body and pedal JUST like yours to dev with, so if you do take the plunge eventually, I may have the PID parameters dialed in for that unit OOTB :-) I don't suppose you know the pin outs of both pedal and throttle, do you? I've not really tried to find out yet, just being lazy while I'm in here writing this :-)

Heyo Fred, it is quite good fun scaring the bejezus out of people in the car. Glad you enjoyed it! 

I've not had any more thoughts re DIYEFI; life has been getting in the way of projects. And now we're moving house and I have no garage!

Also you can get the relevant part of the 350z manual here: https://files.ignitiondigital.co.nz/owncloud/index.php/s/3sJVnH7GynHomRH

The password is your OS username. 

No stress, FreeEMS is like a fine wine, it's taken years to produce, and keeps getting better. Also, for those that don't like fine things, and think they taste sour, there is MegaSquirt/beer :-D

Thank you so much for that document! Perfect! It has literally everything I need aside from the calibration :-)

Where's the new pad, roughly? Just curious.

PS, you'll have to try MUCH harder to scare me. :-)