mikey

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

I've been working away but it's not very interesting stuff. 

I've cleaned up all my wiring and mounted the fuse box and rebuilt all the heater stuffs.

IMAG0261.jpg

Dash is back in. The tacho is being a total vag so I'm ditching that stupid circuit and replacing it with a stepper motor at some point when I care enough.

IMAG0262.jpg

Replaced the rubber bits on the quarter windows.

IMAG0264.jpg

If things go really well I might be driving this on the weekend. There's still lots of things to do; some upholstery, put all the windows back in, door lock actuators, all the interior panels, indicators, seats & belts. Mostly a million little thingys. 

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

My tacho is working ZOMG!

ProZac sent me a spare stepper motor and I happened to be off sick yesterday when the courier arrived so I spent the next three hours stripping the guts out of the tacho and replacing it with the stepper and the worlds simplest circuit board. I wrote a simple little program and she's a good un. 

Finally!

IMAG0298.jpg

• Like 8

• 6 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I've been researching a new axle conversion, and have been collecting some parts. I've heard of people using these axles but not this combination before. This is where I'm at:

IMG_20160109_142913201.jpg

On the right is the stock 240z axle with the twisted Wolf Creek R180 side axles. And on the left is the 4 cylinder D21 axle with factory inner CV and a VX Holden Commodore outer CV. The side axle is from an S14 I think and plugs straight into my R180 diff. 

If I measure the length from the side axle circlip groove to the outer face of the CV/UJ flange the stock axle is 489mm and the Terrano one is 458mm which means I have 31mm to play with without being any worse off. I had no binding issues in the past - i think, guys running R200 diffs might struggle thou.

The Commodore CV is a knock off of a 108mm Porsche 930 CV, and they use it on the big heavy V8s so it must be solid.

So now all I need to do is mate the Commodore CV to the 240z companion flange. There're two options:

These adapters which are a measly $92USD 

650-086-900x900.jpg

Or these replacement companion flanges which are a whopping $700USD

800-601-900x900.jpg

I'm trying to do this on the cheap so I'm going to order the adapters. I have the 240z 25-spline stub axles anyhow so the companion flange wont work, but if in future I upgrade to the 280z stub axles then it's an option.

If this works out I've managed to convert to CVs for really cheaps:

D21 Axles: $200

Commodore CVs: $60

Adapters: $200-ish

YAY

• Like 8

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...