grunta's 67 vc Valiant

grunta

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

Got it installed , linkage works perfect , fired it up and ran ok when revving but wouldn't idle .. found leak with setting idol high ( so it would run ) and spraying engine start around the carb , throttle shaft bore is worn so I've got the carb apart and will sleeve with phoz bronze and bore ... photos to come 

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Had it alll back together and on , still had symptoms of a vac leak and couldn't find it after hours of trying nothing i did would change engine rpm or show signs of where it was leaking... , so borrowed an osgc's air fuel ratio gauge and wide band o2 sensor, which showed me i was correct in my assumption of vac leak  , turns out the venturi gasket was leaking so one is on the way from " mikes carb parts" in the usa, was  $4.95 and so got a new accelerator pump plunger and main manifold gasket too , hopefully they will show up this week... and now with o2 sensor tuning it will be sooo easy to get it dialed. 

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

update:so yes it was showing it wss running lean , and stuttered when i banged it / showed lean reading(15.5:1)  , but i think its a spark problem... the o2 sensor only reads burnt gasses so its showing lean but im 99.9 % sure there is no vac leak and the carb settings are all correct...

will mess with points  maybe even set with dwell metrer..

options after that include electronic dizzy $260 from e bay/china and a 12 v coil... 

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

well... i got a new electronic ignition is in with high power bosch mec717 coil and runs , the same...( fine at idle fine on main jet circuit but power valve circuit isn't getting enough fuel through)..   have now had the carb fully apart 5 times... been back through settings 100 times... next option is Getting a Carter 2 barrel bbd off a buddy so will try that...?!   FML

Chrysler-Valiant-Slant-6-Electronic-Distributor-Up-Grade

• Like 4

came to work this morning and drilled jets... They have "251" stamped on them , and the only thing i could find on the internet was in reference to CFM and not in any way related to holley jet numbers ... so went up in size from .053 to .056" or 4 jet sizes. if its too big i can easily make  new ones but i highly dout this will richen me up enough... Watch this space...

• Like 2

.056 or 1.4mm wasnt big enough , went to 1.5 as have no drills between 1.4 and 1.5 ( nothing imperial , no number drills or gauge drills... need actual jet drills )  ... it was slightly on the rich side ... drove sweet when hot but still stuttery when cold... might have a bung plug after all that... will throw plugs at it this week and see what happens... if it fixes all my problems i might have to kick myself in the face

• Like 3

New plugs went in yesterday and took it for a decent drive...still did stutter over half throttle under heavy load / acceleration unless full throttle then ok...  pulled plugs , again number 6 plug carbon fouled .. im guessing im down on compression on that cylinder... and slightly over carbed due to the low comp... anyway its not lean now so will rock it for a while... will still try a carter 2 barrel i have coming... also will build compression tester and check that too...

• Like 1

made a comp tester which will fit in tight space ... what ever the comp ill just be driving it now until such time as catastrophic engine failure... or go back to single barrel... guess well have to check the compression first..

comp testern.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...