grunta's 67 vc valiant

grunta

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah someone had to or would have been lost to rust... was he rikki's flatmate? id love to know if it was him that did the heaps of shitty rust coverups and painted it.... o and who welded( badly tacked ) sheetmetal over the origional rusty floor pan..

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I run a 350 Holley on my one with the factory 2 barrel manifold, the adapter plates are available off the shelf for around $30 so its hardly worth the trouble of making one. I went that way because it's a very simple conversion and 350's work pretty well straight out of the box on Slant 6's. If you have a Torqueflite transmission however you need to get a little creative to make the push rod linkages down to the trans work properly.

Anyway to answer your original question, of the two carbs you have I believe the Carter is the preferred option for a lot of people and they work just fine if they are in good condition. Sometimes the older carbs can be difficult to fix up because the shafts and linkages etc get worn over time.

As above the Weber 38 DGAS should also work well. 

• Like 3

Is the engine stock? If so there probably wouldn't be a significant performance improvement with a 350. If you rebuild the Carter nicely, get it set up right and working properly I expect that it will be capable of supplying all the air/fuel that a standard engine can demand. Since you already have the Carter it would be worth a go.

• Like 2