VG's Various Scooter Schemings.

Vintage Grumble

Good day, I decided I need yet another project thread on OS. It will no doubt be like accidently sleeping with a thai lady boy prostitute, leaving you feeling dirty and unfulfilled, but hey, these things happen.

ca1ka-l.jpg

I purchased a 2000 Suzuki AZ50X (same as a LetsII I think) from a girl I know, it had been lightly crashed a couple of times, but was in pretty good nick, still runs like a kitten dreaming about purrs. Any who, i've taken all the plastics off, and plan to cut off everything I dont need (like mounts for stuff im removing) and basicly only running what I need for it to be road legal/able to run.

What I need some advice on is, wheres the best places to import scooter parts from? Anyone know of any sites in the US or japan that are good to get bits from? To start with I want a tune pipe and CDI, I will make up my own intake and filter to suit, and then re-jet it. Any advice or help would be great!

Will post up some pics once i've done something interesting.

try http://www.scootling.co.nz/ they have lots of scoot performance parts

Chur, knew about them, but im pretty sure you can bring in gear yourself for much cheaper.

This place has some of the same stuff as scootling for half the price http://japan.webike.co.nz/ but want to be super sure about what im getting, their descriptions are pretty odd due to translation, was hoping there was a good US site to geeze at.

• 2 weeks later...

Im about to order some shit for this bad ass mother fucker, but need some advice. Im going to be running a tune pipe, and want to know what weight rollers I should get. A few places that sell the pipes supply the rollers with them, and I believe they are lighter than standard. Is the idea that by running lighter rollers the scoots will accelerate faster, and get the motor up in the revs where the tune pipe will do its thang? Any idea on what weight rollers I should get? Or how much lighter than standard is a good idea?

pipe manufacturer should have a suggestion, unless its a generic cheapo pipe?

it could be anywhere from 6 to 15 grams on a suzuki

from memory they are a 17x12 roller factory is 6.6 grams

you can experiment your self by filling the holes with bluetac (temporary testing only) and by drilling them out

borrow some decent scales of your friendly neighbourhood drug dealer to balance them all to 0.1g

make sure there are no flat spots on them otherwise this will mess with your testing

going too light (3.5g>) may mean it never hits its top drive ratio and you will be screaming all the time

4.5g is the lightest ive ever put in a suzuki and that was tuned to the tits

Chur, thanks for the info, bloody rippa. I pulled the drive off last night and found it only had three rollers in it? Has room for the std six, im thinking someone has pulled three out at some point? The ones that are in there are pretty worn, one was fucked, like 2g had worn off it. They are indeed 17x12 rollers, but are about 15g. I guess I should find out what it was meant to have in it and go from there? The tune pipe I was going to get is just a dirty old tecnigas, they aren't completely shit are they?

oh noes! ive ran out of 6.6 gram rollers.HMMMM? ill use half as many but about twice as heavy

i should know i have done it, personaly get a set of 6.6g and 6 of them and see how it goes, if it feels like it only starts to go all VTEC just before you run out of 'gears' then go down a weight

• 2 weeks later...

Ordered some parts from Japan I did, they showed up today, so I now have,

New CDI:

Progress-rcdi-unit-street-magic_48707.jpg

Chameleon Factory Performance Pulley Kit:

p306.jpg

KN "Ride till die!" drive belt:

belt_image.jpg

I also got this as I will no doubt need a 300kmh speedo, a Trail tech Vapor stealth:

7500-R2_350.jpg

And one of these is on its way from the U.S. of A:

nextR.jpg

Will slap up pics soon of what i've done to the scooter itself. Also i'm picking up an 86 FA50 this weekend, its going to be my cruzer/off roader/wifes scooter.

• 2 months later...

Did some stuff.

Removed all this pointless crap,

DSC01681.jpg

DSC01575.jpg

^ This is about a 3rd of the steel removed.

Then bent a few bits, and welded this bit in,

DSC01580.jpg

Set the seat down a shit load lower and back a bit,

DSC01582.jpg

Cut some more stuff off,

DSC01586.jpg

Made up some carbon blanks, to cover starter and oiler holes.

DSC01584.jpg

DSC01585.jpg

Made up some flat handle bars,

DSC01668-1.jpg

DSC01667-1.jpg

Have started on the gas tank, which will fit under the seat, and have started sorting the lights and so on also. Much excite!

• Like 1

Yeh, people say I need to weld the bars, i'm confident the tape will hold.

I can't bring the bars back, or make them any lower, as im 6'4, my legs/fatness take up most of the space infront of the seat. I may play around with slightly bent bars in the future, I just really want to get this going/do skids on it so they will do for now.

The std bars were pretty much mtb spec, and looked horrid, really horrid, trust me, I know what i'm doing :lol: Theres going to be some sort of front on it to support the head light/stop wind going up my dress, so the front will look a lot different in the end. The led head lights is one of the last things i've got to work out, will maybe run two or so luxeon star led's? Anyone used these as headlights before?