(was) Yoeddynz's 1968 Viva + Mazda V6. New owner ! Welcome Guzzi rat.

yoeddynz

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest yoeddynz

Mini update (well not a mini..a viva..) but yeah while it rains I'll upload some photos here.

Had the week off work and got plenty done. Have pretty much finished all the wiring. Just some brackets to hold looms in place and some earth points to do. Oh..speaking of earths I must mount the engine earth strap to chassis. I hear that engines like them....

Between the Eunos 500 we tore apart and the engine that came from Westport I have had plenty'o'wire. In fact I have enough to do several cars. I reckon if I soldered all the bits of wire end to end it would stretch from Fosters clearing hut to the Hackett hut in the Richmond ranges. This is just a guess as I have not yet been to the Hackett hut and I don't know how twisty the track is.

But I have been to Fosters clearing many times and fully recommend it.

I would use a lot of solder too.

P1070451_zps5cfabae0.jpg

I was going to originally run the wires intact from sensors, injectors etc in one run back to the ECU but when I found the second loom was complete (unlike the Eunos one which had been hacked apart..I blame Timmy the cat) I decided to use the multipin plugs, change a few wires here and there and have it so I can easily remove the loom from the bay for future mods.

The wiring took a bit longer than I thought. It was not at all complex- in fact the wiring for the ECU is very simple. It was more me trying to do things neatly and keep it future proof. I have added extra wires for essential future upgrades like Klaxon horns etc

Just about to fit the ecu and associated loom in place....

P1070449_zpsa8926d28.jpg

Hannah has been tidying up the wheels before final painting. I don't think they will be ready for (hopefully) our trip to the nats though. Cleaning and sorting out the plug leads. Luckily we had about 4 sets and were able to pick out a combination of lengths to suit the new coils

P1070441_zps3944bf1c.jpg

I made a simple intake pipe from the K&N pod filter that came with the job lot of engine bits. I added a mounting point for the air intake temp sensor. The filter should pick up cold air from the hole I made in the front panel. But the pipe passes just above and behind the radiator. Hopefully it wont pick up too much heat frm that. Will look into it in the future.

P1070450_zpsd44ee5c5.jpg

One job last night was to mount the fans to the radiator. I had a basic mounting kit consisting of those round zip lock things but it was crap. I made some 3mm brazing rod so I ran a 3mm die onto it and made up some neat little reusable mounting rods..

P1070453_zps6ecf744d.jpg

I also added a drain to the bottom of the radiator- always a pain in the arse removing a tight fitting hose to drain the system.

P1070440_zps46001cfe.jpg

The trigger wheel all finished, well unpainted and not pressed on..

P1070439_zpsde604915.jpg

When checking the torque of crank bolt the manual mentioned a timing belt guide disc between the fan pulley and the belt pulley. I could not remember ever seeing one of these and looked every where, checked one of the spare engines. Finally realised I had been reading the page for the 4 cylinder mx6 engine!!!

• Like 1

Guest yoeddynz

Sweeeeeet. Been after a 7 dial dash for ages (for a nice price...) and I just won this on TM... LC, LJ GTR Toranas and HB Brabham Toranas share the same dash instruments as the HB GT Viva. Kind of handy that this one has a rev counter for a 6 cylinder too :-)

fa8bd0506bdabf4704229b2d8446f560_zpse97ba663.jpg

• Like 1

Guest yoeddynz

So I killed it. Well its not dead. But this morning after a cold start tuneup, warmup I decided to take it out for a good drive up some decent hills. But I barely got onto SH6 heading out of nelson, accelerated moderately hard and suddenly this awful loud rattling started. First I thought G/box as the sound was coming up through the hole in the tunnel(yeah still a big open hole where the loom comes in.. its a professional tuning thing, better for seat of pants style tuning as I can hear things...ha)

pulled off road and even at 2000 it rattled. I then thought big end has gone. Drove very carefully to work, hard to do in a grunty twitchy V6 with a slightly touchy gas pedal. Once at work showed boss and others. They love the conversion but not the noise. None of us could pin it down but it was at its loudest inside Cam cover on pass side near the back. It really did sound like either massive piston slap or something sitting on piston.

Took it home and pulled the head off. Nothing! checked the valves, springs, collets, HLAs etc. all seem fine. Had me stumped and quite gutted. I reckon the sound was being amplified up the oil drop hole from the block.

Also noted how oily all the piston tops are and how loose the valves are through the seals. I should really have pulled the engine down and checked things out but was assured it was a low mileage engine. I think it is a big end or maybe a gudgeon pin. Will strip and find out in near future.

Oh well- shit happens. I tried my best. Shame it happened so soon as I really was enjoying driving it.

I shall build up the other 2.5 block but not till after I have checked it all out. Will probably get new valve guides too. Or see if the other heads are better.

Anyway- tonight I stayed out late. In fact I only just got in about 9.15. Here are some photos...

P1070511_zps032aba4f.jpg

P1070512_zpsd877979f.jpg

P1070514_zpsc759c094.jpg

P1070522_zps54204f65.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest yoeddynz

Wow- what an awesome last week or so. I hope I don't forget it so this is actually sort of a diary for me.

So the 2.5 litre KLZE threw its toys from the cot. Im not sure what toys its thrown as I have not had a proper look yet. After taking off the noisy head and removing the valves etc, inspecting the pistons, generally standing at my shed bench looking at dirty oily parts where there be an unfamiliar noise coning from somewhere in them, sucking air through teeth, thoughts racing through my head of all the possible potential things that could have happened deep within, I about gave up and started to pack everything up. Then go for a bike ride.

Then I suddenly thought of the 2 litre KFDE sitting at work. It had very clean inlet runners which is a good sign, had never been apart or so it looked, was meant to be from a car showing 140k. I knew it all fitted cause the engine bay was built around it.

I rang Slacker Sam in Motueka and asked if he could help me on the Tuesday to install it. Yep.

Rang work and told them not to lock up and that I was coming to pick up the engine.

On way to work in Van I decided I would keep this all secret from you lot- for several reasons- if it all goes to shit then no need to write anything huh. If it works then what a cool surprise for the Nats!

I was up till about 9.30 pulling the 2.5 out. Next morning I was out there at 7.30 pulling it down and swapping all the new parts across to the 2.0. Water pump, belts, pulleys, thermostat housing- anything modified to fit. By about 12 it was ready to sling in and Sam turned up on time. It went in without hassle and Sam stayed till about 4.30 including through some serious rain! The area around the car had cardboard down on mud and a tarp under the carpet. Looked a mess with bits everywhere. Shame I didn't think to take photos!

Hannah turned up at 5.30 just as I was fitting the coils and filling the radiator. Turned it over without plugs and seemed fine- pressured up quick.

Plugged it up and it started first turn of key! sweet! Followers noisy but soon went quiet once it warmed up.

So we went for a drive- it ran fine. Nowhere near as grunty as the 2.5 but still sounded mean and very smooth. We drove it about an hour and set it up on autotune. Success. But I still wasn't totally relaxed yet.

I wanted to test it following morning up some good climbs. So I did. Its fun! oh the sound. main problem showing up was the passenger exhaust manifold. It would get hot on hard runs and expand- moving the lowest header primary downwards about 3mm enough to hit the front crossmember. So I took the car to work and lifted the engine up with some spacers. Not enough as we found out on trip- it still rattles the exhaust when hot so I'll be fixing that soon.

On the Wednesday I also refitted the carpets, managed to get the parcel shelf back in place with some holesawing to clear the ecu loom. Added an oldschool sticker. All essential stuff.

Come Thursday morning we packed the car up and took off to Blenheim. Uneventful- smooth classy motoring at its best in a not so poverty spec Viva Deluxe. The car managed a very easy about 8.5-9 l/100km too. sweet- as that was the prime reason for removing the rotary..

Up very early on Friday morning and off to the ferry. Then the nats. Yes! funtimes.

After the nats we continued north to Wanganui but not before discovering that the Loctite gasket maker I had

used to seal the lid of my surge tank didn't appear to like petrol. So parked up in the Palmaston north supercheap carpark under the car getting covered in fresh petrol, petrol burns on upper arms, petrol in my eyes, yep a lovely way to spend a couple of sunny afternoon hours.

Then the pipe off the main tank started to leak. Bugger. The very friendly chap at Riverspeed repairs in Wanganui let me use his dry floor, tools, and gave me some fuel line. He didn't want anything in return when I offered. Top bloke! would trade again for sure!

After Wanganui we headed to Opunake and camped there the night. I bought a wetsuit as had been meaning to do for ages and we spent much time in the waves on the bodyboards (not a surfer, not pretending to be but love the sea and is a nice beach btw)

We then headed south again and stayed at the same awesome Doc campsite in the Tararuas. Kiriwhakapapa road. Sweet spot- good bush. Only photo I took of car on trip really- and a pretty shit one at that too. Its dinner time..

P1070650_zpsffb53975.jpg

Home last night. Car went great. No major faults. tuning needed. Averaged 9.4L/100. Ohhhhhh the sound.

Happy.

Now all the little jobs like seal it so it doesn't flood with water everytime it rains hard! Fit new dash. Get brakes working better, replace window and door seals, build up hard as 2.5.

• Like 9

So slacker Sams mate bought this bargain car for not much money - 1500 bucks!!

Then Sam popped by to my work and let me sample it. Quite fast it must be said but with terrible torque steer. But yeah.. Turbos.. Definitely see them in the future.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/mazda/eunos/auction-569237670.htm

a286298ff311d56c5b6bc0da5bd19532_zps676b6fa0.jpg

"**Price Reduced**

I need it gone, so open to any offers, Keen on swaps with whatever.

Details are as folllows:

Mazda KLDE 2.5l V6 engine transplant which has been reconditioned including new big end bearings, seals from crank up, piston rings, valve seals, oil pump, water pump, head gaskets, hydraulic lash adjusters, spark plugs, all o-rings, timing belt and all components that goes with it, and every component cleaned before being put back in. i had the block honed and acid bathed by Entech Nelson so is all squeaky clean internally and has since done 10,000km

Gearbox is mint and had an oil change at time of engine swap, is also an extremely rare LSD. I just recently installed a short shifter in and replaced all the bushes in the shift linkage.

Clutch was replaced also at time of engine swap.

Turbo details are as follows(has only been running turbo'd for 2500km):

T3/T4 turbo

HKS style sequential BOV

Stainless turbo pipes with T3 flange

310cc Mazda Millenia injectors

NZKW 38mm Wastegate

Custom 2.5" intercooler piping

600 x 300 x 75 Tube & Fin Intercooler

Braided feed line

Walbro 255lph inline fuel pump

After market fuel pressure regulator

Megasquirt fully USB tuneable standalone fuel and spark engine management system (not cheap)

AEM digital wideband oxygen sensor and oil pressure guage

Car also comes with 2 side skirts that arent pictured

Tuned at 7psi

New distributor 1500km old, heavy duty racing one i got from the states

Just replaced the HT leads last weekend

Autometer Boost guage

Car runs fine and is my daily driver to work so kms will change.

Needs cert for next warrant so i am selling at a loss but i have had fun getting it to this point, price i definitely negotiable as i am looking for a quick sale as i have a house to pay for now"

More little jobs done yesterday. The afternoon sun came out and all was good in Viva world.

P1070699_zpsf2c10ea0.jpg

Re-configured the fuel pump setup. The last one was leaking around the hole where the wires were coming out and the fuel lines were not fitting the surge tank hose outlets securely.

New surge tank version three was whacked together this time in alloy. Took much longer than it probably should do to weld as still learning how to go round tight bends and curves neatly.

P1070696_zps888c9f0e.jpg

Fitted a new external fuel pump- Holden VN Commodore spec. Hopefully this setup will not leak. Its certainly much tidier.

P1070702_zps53e9c377.jpg

I also got some braided brake hoses made up.

P1070697_zpsaf769714.jpg

Fitted the rear one while pumps were out of the way. Much firmer feel already. I'm quite surprised. Now I am very much looking forward to fitting the front ones as they are even longer.

I think the ones on the car are possibly the original. Going to cut them open and have a looksy.

P1070700_zps4f8a9419.jpg

One more little job in the evening light to do.. spot the difference...

P1070703_zps0ad90451.jpg

P1070707_zpseb723386.jpg

So far no leaking. Took car for trip over to Abel Tasman national park. I always think of it as a fairly normal sized car but parked between some moderns it looks small..

P1070712_zps9656ef22.jpg

• Like 1

My gearbox is a little noisy. Only at really low revs when pulling away even lightly in a higher gear. I think the driveshaft front splined input isn't slide onto the g/box output enough and there is some whip at low revs making it rattle about. Will space prop shaft forwards with a spacer between it and the axle flange.

Also think pinion angle is too high. Under load the axle lifts and prop shaft possibly lines up straight which causes whip. Never did it with the rotary due to less bottom end torque from engine and gearbox sat higher by 25mm at back so I think the propshaft was not lined up with axle. Hence no resonance.

this is all in my head. I have just had a strong coffee.

Alson coffee fuelled thoughts have been sparked by this following table. Look how much closer those first three gears in the mx5 box are. 1st is almost useless in my 85 rx7 box. Second still too low. Me now want an mx5 gear set to swap in.

http://www.mazdatrix.com/g1.htm

• 3 weeks later...

Not much to note recently. Been driving it quite a bit. Is now out of warrant and un-certed but have been using it to get to work. I have clocked up almost 2000 kms since getting it back on the road. All testing in the name of safety of course...

"I am taking the car to work to complete wof related repairs officer" would be my excuse.

I put it through a wof test on Monday which it preceded to fail on two items,

1: A blown number plate bulb

2: An engine that does not sufficiently represent the Rotary engine stated on the cert plate.

Damn.. they spotted that second one!!! :-)

So it goes for a certification in Motueka tomorrow. Not sure what this tester is like. My workmates have been winding me up that he is a stickler for everything. I feel confident that if it fails it will be something small. Watch this space....

The engine is going well and the rear crank seal leak has stopped. It could be one of two things. The oil seal has swelled back supple with use or the engine is out of oil. I figure its the first.

I have anally been keeping count of fuel consumption as usual. With lots of town driving and a few longer trips it has not returned less than 9.7 L/100km. I'm pretty happy with that.

The Torana instruments I bought on TM wont fit in without modifications to the dash. I need to look more into this. The universal door/window seals I bought are not universal and I need to buy Torana ones. Damn- does anyone here get a decent discount at Rare spares?

I also bought an old Motor magazine off trade me that covers the 1968 Earls court motor show. Flicking though it just before I found this gem...

P1070837_zps3eb60c2c.jpg

Wow- I do feel dollyrocket!! :-)

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

Stop!

Viva time.

All is pretty happy in Viva world right now. Since having passed its cert and becoming fully road legal again I have cocked up many miles in it. Its running really well but with heaps of room for improvement. The current fuel table is 12 x 12 and the engine parameters ie rev range x load range on the base table don't cover the full range I actually use the engine. The rev range for example only goes up to 6000. Peak vacuum is actually below the lowest figure on the table. So at really slow idle, cold with lights on etc it can drop off the table.

So I need to create a 16 x 16 table so I can tune these extremes but still have plenty of cells in the midrange commonly seen areas on the table. I have not yet even touched the ignition table where I think I can get even smoother running and efficiency. It certainly has more punch to come in the midrange.

I am awaiting a new serial to usb convertor cable from the UK. My new laptop is running windows 8 and it wont always locate the ecu. I looked it up on google and it seems many people having the same problem with all sorts of devices using serial cable convertors with W8. So for future reference the best chipset to use for a convertor cable is the FTDI chipset. Avoid prolific chipsets- the cheaper usb to serial cables out there use these or clones. No good on windows 7 or 8.

Now the main reason for the rotary being swapped out was economy. How's that going then eh?.. well really good actually, thanks for asking. In fact we have not seen worse than 25mpg (11L/100km) and is averaging over 30 mpg (9.4/100) for mixture of town and open road, spirited driving.

On long runs its an easy 35mpg (8L/100). These figures will all be improved on too- it runs rich on over run in places and ignition can be advanced in most places. All just fine tuning the map once I create the new 16 x 16 table. when I get my cable.

I love driving it. So easy and smooth. I have not grown tired of the V6 sound at all. In fact its so lush I tend to drive the car much faster than I used to.

So other than just driving it what else have I done. Not a lot. I have actually been a bit lazy now its all go and often find it hard to make time to sort out the little things. Jobs that are easy, maybe fiddly, but simple things which can really make a difference to daily driving.

One job I have done which I have been intending to do for many years was this...

P1070917_zpsc135955d.jpg

horrible dried up, broken and sharp side window weather strips. I had bought some universal ones from Basis in Renwick ages ago. But When I removed one of the old ones I discovered that the Viva has really odd deep strips, moulded to clear the rivets holding the door chrome. Bugger! but luckily Rare spares stock the proper seals moulded to suit the HB,LC,LJ Toranas- which share the same doors. Well that's nice isn't it. So I ordered some and they fitted perfectly. See....

P1070916_zps54d7b958.jpg

While I was at it I dried out a door card that had weirdly got damp- maybe the very heavy rain we had and terrible door seals. Of course even after clamping the card straight it has still dried to a wobble. Damn!

P1070918_zps12e49e7b.jpg

I have also 'fixed' my damp carpet problem. When ever it rains hard the carpets would get wet. I have looked several times still cant locate the exact entry point of the water. Somewhere in he heater channel there is some seam sealer lifting or something.

But I can locate where the water dribbles out from the A pillar base, pools and then overflows into the carpet. So I drilled some holes and now the water flows into the sill and drains straight out the drain holes.

P1070901_zps11a427dc.jpg

So no more wet carpets *

The leaks had been wetting the seam between the inner sill and floor pressing. Luckily after cleaning out all the old seam sealer I only discovered a teeny bit of rust just on the edge of a lip. Cleaned, sanded the areas up and neutralised it all. I like it when I catch rust sneaking away.

P1070899_zps35b3bda8.jpg

While replacing the lower balljoint for the cert I discovered that the inner bushes in the front upper wishbones are stuffed. very perished and sloppy. This will totally explain the squirmmyness that I get in the front end under heavy braking on rougher roads. lots of movement going on where it shouldn't be.

170520132185-002_zpsd5de2899.jpg

I need to research a bit on which bushes to fit. polyurethane or oem rubber. I have heard a few bad things about the poly items not working well in the front. Or not lasting well.

I tried my torana gauge unit I bought on Trademe. almost fits but too tall and would require some hefty dash cutting to fit it. I'd rather not so will instead make a new dash layout to my own design. here's the space I have to work with. Note the huuuuuge amount of wiring going on. Pretty techy car.

P1070994_zpsa425cdbe.jpg

Righto. That's all off my chest I can get on with chilling out on this rainy winters evening :-)

*Its a British car. Its always going to leak and the carpets will always be damp.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Updates on Vivadom..

Its not getting wet carpets anymore!!!! :)  My drain holes must be working.

I have finally got a new serial to Usb adaptor cable. No one in NZ could guarantee a cable to work with windows 8 and they all either had the prolifec chipset (no good) or couldnt tell me what they had.

I ended up buying one from the UK via Ebay and it arrived 4 days later. The new cable has a FTDI chipset inside and this works properly with windows 8 without constantly disapearing etc.

Next time I build a MS2 I'll build an adaptor inside the casing so I can just use a Usb cable straight out.

So after putting this job off for ages this afternoon Hannah and I created a new 16 x 16 fuel table to replace the current 12 x 12. With the new extra 4 lines we have filled in some areas where the old table would run out- mainly below 30 KPa and above 6000 rpm. Along with this the new table has more bins in the middle area for the most commonly seen areas in usual driving.

I thought I was going to have to start a new project in order to go up to 16x but then discovered I could just change the table size in general settings. Sweet as. This saved heaps of mucking about.

So I warmed the car up first and then Hannah loaded the new table on. The engine ran fine as the old table figures where still there. But with new areas not yet tuned we went for a drive and tuned it using the autotune feature. It still blows me away how quick, effective and easy it is to tune this megasquirt on Tunerstudio. Within 15 minutes the car was even smoother than ever on the new bigger table. Idles better because it used to fall off the bottom line below 30 KPa and use the last seen figures. Now its tuned properly in that area. The engine falls back to idle smoother and the general cruising areas on the map are neater. All equating to a even nicer car to drive about town. Off throttle with the new lower lines its running much leaner where it used to be quite rich. Economy will be even better. It still drops below 20KPa on a closed throttle but I will reinstate the fuel cut again and can then save more petrol.

Big mistake of mine was to cap the load at 95 KPa. I didn't think the car was seeing that high being N/A but I was so wrong. The last table went up to 85 but I never thought much about it. Now even at 95 it still goes off the map under heavy load up hill in say third and goes super rich.  Bugger! So I will look over the table and merge the closest lines so creating a new line up to 100KPa. Then more driving and smoothing of the map where it doesnt get seen so much.

I have not even touched the ignition table yet. But it seems safe enough for now with it in mind that we will hopefully get even better power and economy when we do look into it. I will get a friend who has done much tuning to help me with this as I am still learning. But boy its fun- Both Hannah and I are loving it! Beats the shit out of messing with needles, jets, springs etc. :-)   Its so cool to click a button then feel the car getting better and better as I just drive it.

So some exciting pictures of lots of numbers for them that like lots of numbers... Any advice will be much appreciated as so much to still learn. Fun stuff this.

P1080215_zps6b02f1d1.jpg

070720132250_zps973750a8.jpg

Fullscreencapture707201364739pm_zps87c50

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Shitty shitty Quinton Hazel balljoints!!!! :doubt:  I replaced a slightly worn Lockheed one last year sometime with a QH item and then come the cert 2 months ago it was found to be sloppy. So I replaced it with another new one and its already gone sloppy! 

I have located some new lockheed items in Blighty and just paid for them tonight. Hopefully next week I'll get them.

I took apart a QH one and a lockheed unit for a looksie. The Lockheed one is much beefier and has a strong coil spring to keep it under tension. The QH one relies on a little piece of rubber pushing down on a plastic bush. Just crap. I have since heard that QH stuff was quite often poor quality.

P1080301_zps78790d1d.jpg

I have also ordered some new bushes for the front upper arms from the same supplier.  Total bill $370-  ouch.

This evening however was lovely and on my way to pick up Hannah I got a nice photo near Nelson port..

190720132297_zpsef13ba08.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

New ball joint time. The replacement balljoints and bushes arrived from dear old blighty on monday. Tonight after work I stayed in, cranked the music up loud and set to. Took a photo just because there is always a cool collection of different old cars at work and it looked sweet.

310720132316_zpsb5fd1ad2.jpg

side by side you can see how much beefier the new ball joint is.

310720132317_zpsd49a6b8f.jpg

New one went in without trouble- annoyingly I have become quite quick at this job. Hopefully I wont need to do it again for a while- at least on this side. The ball joint on the drivers side is an original lockheed item as per this new replacement so is still OK.

Finished job and first turn of steering wheel to move car out I strraight away noticed the steering felt much lighter. I think the knackered balljoint had developed quite a bit of friction!

Drove home with less rattles and sweeter steering. Happy!! :) 

• 1 month later...

Oh- some photos from the weekend trip south to Hanmer Springs for an oldschool.co.nz meet. The Viva drove so well and I'm sure it now running at a proper temp helped with economy too. In fact on the way home I mainly cruised except for some very fast driving through the buller and and over Golden downs range. Even with that we managed to return 40mpg (7L/100km). So stoked with that especially as fuel just keeps going up. Its still running a bit rich on cruise and the overrun fuel cut needs to be back on so there is more to come. Economy aside it was such a blast and the roads south were great. I forgot how beautiful a drive it is down through the centre of the South island.

Hannah having fun driving on the way down...

4a737ce6a02df4c8a769f5cd72604ffc.jpg

At Lake Rotoiti where we met the crew from wellington..

20140829_145029.jpg

Me trying my best to dress to the Viva period..

20140829_140347.jpg

20140829_145536.jpg

P1080680.jpg

Near Hanmer..

20140830_120002.jpg

20140830_120225.jpg

6aa6f05f06c81cbfc99d3603411bca8b.jpg

• Like 9

• 2 months later...

Update time. I have been a busy little squirrel in between riding my bikes. First off.. fuel leak. Ever since adding an extra fuel line into the tank it has been weeping. It has slowly got worse and got to the point where apart from money soaking into the ground it was a hazard. It was weeping out around a dry solder joint I had done.

I took the tank out, took it to work, degassed it by sticking the exhaust pipe from a running car into it. Then cut out the whole section with the pipes and made a new stronger setup brazed together. This I then soldered onto side of tank. much stronger and no leaks. Sadly I forgot to take photos.

Next job was the steering wheel position. Its always been a bit 'Italian' and quite a stretch. only needed to be 1" closer and would make all the difference. Plus the boos is a really old alloy one from many moons ago and quite sloppy on the splines. I always had fears it might strip. ouch.

I had the original Viva wheel which I cut the steel centre out of and machined down to something usable. I then machined up new bits to weld it into and made a new, very strong..slightly heavy but industrial boss. The new position is great and the splines are a lovely tight factory fit. Tight enough I also made a little puller so not to stress the steering wheel when removing it.

Again sod all photos..

P1080907.jpg

Its now in wrinkle finish black.

Moving on from there- that rattle in the drivetrain. I thought that maybe the gbox was a bit buggered. So we took it out, stripped it down and discovered nothing really wrong at all. I ordered a full rebuild kit from these guys.. http://transpartswarehouse.com/ and it arrived 5 days later much much cheaper then any trade price I got in NZ.

Hannah and I put the box back together and that was good fun. Hannah having never seen inside a gbox before and I reckon she would make a good fitter as she has a good eye for the details. Sadly we didnt have a shed full of extra mazda shims (pricey and only available ex japan according to local mazda dealer) so some of the clearences although factory Ok I think are too much. I would rather them a bit tighter and give less room for rattles. My plan is to keep a lok out for another box and rebuild it really tight then swap in. Hopefully a mx5 box with the higher first 3 gears.

Box removal.

71c3c10a3d4e68f5e619ec59dce65763.jpg

Hannah giving the gbox a clean over before stripping it.

58951733177e220ca3f5ed074f6e41b6.jpg

one area of clearance being measured..

f142438f47656b9b1996ae2e44565b10.jpg

No photos of box bits all over place- was to immersed in it all and forgot but here's a good view from underneath the tunnel showing the wiring, fuel and brake lines hidden away..

750ece42d1c2df773b71dd658a8637e0.jpg

So new bearings in a box that was ok anyway didn't stop the rattle/vibration. Next thing to look at was the propshaft angles. I knew they were out but not sure how much and couldnt adjust them to try. Fortunately we had a Nissan Silvia come in with knackered adjustable rear toe in arms. They were replaced and I got the old ones. These were perfect for what I had in mind...

2b0c4e5ec0ec0786dc2226b1c37f0d18.jpg

Then fitted..

20131030_195458.jpg

angles measured and adjusted...

b290136585bd43a837918ea3d600dd7e.jpg

I set them bang on the same then drove car for two days. adjusted them a bit to try a pinion point up higher and was horrid. Ended up setting them the same angle (as should be really) then pulled them out and measured them. 5mm longer than the standard viva top arms was all i needed so I welded up the old holes, added some extra metal and re-drilled them.

7547239df3b93b5ef184a7e993185a9a.jpg

The angles are now sweet. The rattle/vibration is better but still there. BUT in doing all this I have discovered that the propshaft I had 'professionally' welded and balanced has a run out at the back of 2mm!!!!  This pisses me off. I never thought to check it as always presumed it was fine- they said it was all good and balanced well.  I took the Viva to the 'specialists' on friday and showed them. They are going to fix it. I hope properly. Will require the weld being machined off and done straight as it should have been.

I should have welded it myself then got it balanced. I had asked them to face the end of the tube before fitting the yoke and I reckon they didn't. Tut tut.

Next on the list is making the new dash instrument layout and putting the 2.5 litre engine back together and sling it in. But its sunny and my bike is calling me.

Discussion here..

//oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/28897-alexs-1968-oldman-special-hb-viva-discussion/page-35?hl=viva

• Like 5