Fliboi's scooter project full of issues

BlownCorona

So im building a scooter out of a bike frame i had built when i was younger, and a 50cc full frame scooter engine.

i've got the engine mounted in really nicely and made up a sprocket to go from scooter axle to bike chain/rear gears.

now i've run into a problem where when i start the engine (sometimes hard) it will idle really lumpy and wont rev at all, no matter where the throttle is. in fact if i open the throttle up it starts to kill the engine.

then it will die and wont restart for another 10 minutes or so.

i have a feeling this might be to do with the angle the carb is on, but ive positioned the bike so the carb is flat and it dosn't seem to fix it.

I really want to get the engine running smooth before i start on setting up the gears and tanks etc..

20110104171445.jpg

20110104171426.jpg

20110104171407.jpg

Bit of info about the project. im in need of a cheaper way to get around and to my course this year and i had this engine in a little grass cart i built. the engine runs extremely well and although its a Chinese motor. i constantly had it on the rev limiter while drifting on grass :D and it was more than happy to cope. i plan on linking the engines output (with its centrifugal clutch, to the rear gear system from a mountain bike, giving me a 5,6 or 7spd scooter, depending on what wheel i go with. should in theory be good for skids in low gear and have a decent top speed in high gear.

I built the frame when i was about 10. and thus will, im sure, need welding properly :lol: and please pay no attention to the terrible welds that are on it currently that where done with my fathers arc welder with the wrong sticks. these will be redone with my new mig welder. :D

was sitting for about 2-3 weeks. i took the air filter off so you can see the carb in the pics. dosn't make a difference. however when the engine was in the cart. taking the filter off had the same effect as it has now minus the starting issues. and its got an electric choke,

so i may be back on track, put the oil in the oil bottle and just petrol in the tank, put in a clean spark plug and fired it up and it runs alot better, it revs up but is smokey as hell, i suspect that there is alot of unburnt oil in the engine as the plug that came out was soaked.

• 3 weeks later...

So i have made pretty good progress with this, the engine is running nicely, and the gears seem to work.

Pics will follow

I just would like to know, what sorta base settings should a little scooter carb have, its a mikuni something, can find out if it makes a difference? im pretty sure i messed them up when the engine wasnt running and its not getting the full potential from the engine.

• 2 weeks later...