Threeonthetree's Rover SD1 2600SE

Threeonthetree

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fully considering one of these for a tow car once/if I sell the wagon/probably end up with a volvo! :lol:

I've actually owned a 2600 5spd manual. Dad had two - one good one, and Vitesse that he wrecked/pillaged parts for his..

If I can find the owners manual and some other interisting reads I'll send them up to you..

Did you know they're basically the same power & speed at the 3.5's - the 3.5's only really beat them toward the top end of rev range/over 130kph..

Massive motor isnt it? need some pictures for rest to see..

Does yours have a crack in the left hand side of the dash? And saggy hoodlining?

Also, on the note of sd1's, I own this : http://csracing.spacejunk.co.nz/sd1.html

Plans?

Fully considering one of these for a tow car once/if I sell the wagon/probably end up with a volvo! :lol:

Well I did read they were Caravans Monthly tow car of the year back in the day, on account of their height adjusting suspension don't you know. ;)

If I can find the owners manual and some other interisting reads I'll send them up to you..

I would appreciate an owners manual. I've been asking the SD1 forum what all the buttons do! ;)

Did you know they're basically the same power & speed at the 3.5's - the 3.5's only really beat them toward the top end of rev range/over 130kph..

The web tells me that British Leyland had to cripple the 2600 a bit to make sure the old 3.5 looked better. I'm already eyeing up the restrictive-looking hot air intake system for potential removal, and the 2600 exhaust headers seem to turn an unnecessarily sharp corner right out of the engine block considering how much room there is. Massive engine, but massive engine bay.. I will take some photos probably after christmas, cos the only christmas shopping I've done so far is to buy myself that Rover..

Does yours have a crack in the left hand side of the dash? And saggy hoodlining?

Some warping of the dash and headlining sagging a bit near the rear window, yeah. ;)

Plans?

I don't want to spend much on it to begin with, because I'm supposed to be buying a house and spending money on the Alfa. All going to plan, I'm going to be poor. But the Rover may well end up coming to the Nats in February, so it'll need to be up to that.

I'd like the Rover to be more of a daily driver than a project car, if that's possible. I can spend a bit getting it to that state I guess, because I'll still have saved money vs buying a boring Jap econobox to run around in (fuel bills excluded)..

If/when I get around to modifying the Rover, I guess I'll look for a smaller steering wheel, and ways in which I could make the car stand up to a few laps on the track or be better suited to faster driving. More of a sports barge. I'm not gonna debadge it, slam it on widened steelies with stretch tyres, fit boso exhausts, paint it matt black or any of that stuff. :P

i think perhaps even though its new oil it may pay to ditch and get some of a known viscosity grade. perhaps something on the slightly thick side. while whats fresh is in there rock some of that cleaner shit through and you never know

I agree this might be a plan. What's in there now is Caltex Havoline, according to the window sticker, but it's quite overfilled and an engine flush might be an excuse to replace it with the right amount of a gloopy old car oil.

First though I'll need to make sure the car is getting up to temperature, so it'll be more effective if/when I drain the oil.

I can not believe you removed the venetians.

venetians1.jpg

I can. That's them all lined up, and it's bad enough, but once I open the window some of them will get blown downward and I won't be able to see the queue of cars behind me any more! :wink:

They might work better if the window was closer to vertical. I've kept them, anyway, and won't throw them out since everyone seems to like them..

Goodness Gracious me.

These a choice as, in a British Leyland type of way..

I totally wanted an XJS, maybe just a 6-cylinder one cos I'm not clever enough to do manual conversions, but I guess this is a compromise. It caters to buyers in that market segment between reliable newschool city car and V12 gas-guzzling old Jag. :lol:

oh man, you thought owning an Alfa was bad.

welcome to a world of never ending face palm. and you plan to daily this? im wishing you every success but shit man, this thing is gonna be a world of hurt.

history doesn't shine to kindly on this car and its brethren.

from the many many hours ive spent working on the other products that british leyland had to offer i can only offer you my condolences.

sheepers. (the negative grumpy old bastard)

oh man, you thought owning an Alfa was bad.

welcome to a world of never ending face palm. and you plan to daily this? im wishing you every success but shit man, this thing is gonna be a world of hurt.

Duly noted.

I've been basically daily-ing the Alfa for over half a decade (with recent exceptions), and the times I've been temporarily or not-so-temporarily unable to get anywhere in it have been:

* Timing belt tensioner broke (they weren't changed when they should have been)

* Rear brakes seized on (doesn't happen now and is easily dealt with anyway)

* Moisture in distributor (hasn't happened for years, but I carry CRC now just incase)

* Bad connection in battery cable (age-related, fixed and won't happen again)

Most of the car is badly designed and constructed, and yes there are certain to be some minor things wrong with it at any given time. But the bits that allow me to travel from place to place are too mechanically simple to give much trouble.

The only added complexity I can see in the Rover is power steering. I have a workmate with Morris Marina horror stories, but have had a former SD1 3500 owner come up and tell me his gave no trouble in 3 years. I'm sure I shall find out whether the Italians can comprehensively out-engineer the Poms (in my experience they could hardly engineer themselves out of a paper bag - those Poms better be pretty bad)..

Like grandpa used to say, nothing ventured, nothing gained. Rover ventured, still nothing gained.. ;)

Hows the 6 and manual treating you? Go well?

I haven't taken it past 3000rpm and have stopped driving it until I can confirm whether or not it's getting up to temperature and has proper oil pressure. Just don't tell Old Man Sheepers. ;)