Seedy Al's Brown Crown

Goat

Guest Seedy Al

yeah man

using 110 loom and trying to wire up the JZ alternator

mainly just need to know which colours are what haha

I have a Yellow and a much thicker White wire in the original loom.

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest coldturkey

So im no expert autosparky, but for some reason I think that you need the alternator connected up to a battery to induce current. So if you are just trying to measure it without anything hooked up then you arent going to get correct voltages etc.

Alternator vs. Generator stz, generator will just put out straight DC. I think thats why you cant just run a car on an alternator without a battery (but you can with a generator)?

Guest Seedy Al

Its more the original car part i am struggling with

i have the plug details for the alternator.

guess will try differnt things and see what happens

might need to pull the cluster out and see if i can figure out what colour the lamp ciruit is.

Could also run a sperate wire to the igniton side of the alternator to by pass one problem of not knowing which one it is.

Guest japawagons

I will check the wire colours when I get home. Pretty sure white is ignition and yellow is lamp on my 110. Yowzer back me up boi...

Guest slacker.cam

White should be ignition/sense. What you can do to test it is ground the yellow wire and see if the lamp comes on the dash.

Guest Seedy Al

yeah man its at work,

just fit the thermo fan, but need a 2 pin pulg as the fucken kit only comes with one side of it. Dman shit

ok, will try earthing the yellow and see what happens!

Guest Yowzer

White should be ignition/sense. What you can do to test it is ground the yellow wire and see if the lamp comes on the dash.

Doesn't work on these cars as they have an overly complicated charge light circuit with a zener diode filled relay block thing. It makes any sort of multimeter testing pretty shit.

Whatever the wiring is, I've forgotten as I though it was one thing but it was actually the other thing but I think it worked regardless of which way around it went but the dash light didn't.

Yeah.

Plug it in and find out. It didn't cause any damage when I did that to Keegans.

Guest Seedy Al

na its all good, I just bought a generic 2 pin.

Will wrap in tap to water proof it haha

I cant believe they sell a kit, where the plug on one end is is a generic 2 pin, but with no other side

And its not water proof, even tho its a push desing fan, so is going to mount on the front of the radiator anyway.

guess thats repco for ya

Guest snapper

yeah, super-stylee. you must be feeling good - you have all of this evening and even tomorrow to get it all happening. sweeeeeeet! WOF on Monday?

Guest sheepers

i had a similar problem with the UZ when i got it running.

one of the power wires to the computer is switched over to powering the whole shebang via an internal relay when you hit the starter.

so all the power feeds to the computer need to be switched via relays triggered off the ignition switch even if they are "power all the time" style feeds.

at least i think thats what your issue is, could be wrong.

Guest Seedy Al

well there is onyl one power all the time feed.

Which is labelled BATT funny enough.

ok, so I shall try pwoering this one through a relay and see what happens

Another thing i just checked before, is there there is a Wire that comes out of the ecu and is the earth for the Map and TPS. it states that this is earthed through the ECU, so should not be connected to chassis earth.

I did an Ohm test and it is in fact connected to earth somewhere

So i now wonder if that could some how be the problem

I cant really see how tho, as the whole oint of doing through the ECU is to give those two sensors clear earths.