Vintage Grumbles AE86

Brock-Lee

What is it sprayed in VG? base coat clear coat? and it is a metallic aye? Metallic is a c$%t to spray well, and touch up jobs never look good, so bear this in mind if you do decide to ask them to paint bits again. I'm surprised that they sent it back to you with a run in it though, as they are super easy to fix, I got 2 in my Alfa and they were gone in about 3 minutes, I just used a razor blade with the corners taped to scratch them back level with the rest of the paint and then hit it with the 2000 grit and it buffed out.

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mate- I think that is bullshit.

Probably 500$ back because they feel bad about a shit job- but a shit job is not what you wanted so IMO is as good as not being done at all.

You 100% deserve to get that car back in the good condition you expected and paid for. If it was a very cheap job then you can't expect panels to be dead straight etc but everything there seems to be pure sloppiness- like a new apprentice has done it.

Spraying metallics might be hard for you or me but for a professional it should be easy- difficulty of laying an even coat should not come into it- if they couldn't get a good result they should have said " this paints shit won't be perfect" and you should have had every option to get shit done elsewhere or differently.

My cousin has a paint and pannel shop- if you'd like I can ask him for any opinions or advice- he's super unbiased with me atleast

What is it sprayed in VG? base coat clear coat? and it is a metallic aye? Metallic is a c$%t to spray well, and touch up jobs never look good, so bear this in mind if you do decide to ask them to paint bits again. I'm surprised that they sent it back to you with a run in it though, as they are super easy to fix, I got 2 in my Alfa and they were gone in about 3 minutes, I just used a razor blade with the corners taped to scratch them back level with the rest of the paint and then hit it with the 2000 grit and it buffed out.

Yeh, its metallic with clear. He buffed that area too, so no way he didnt notice the run. I'll hit them up about it when I go to pay today.

how much did paint cost?

Couple of G's, and they swear theres a grands worth of primer/paint/clear on it.

Man if he colour sanded it and didn't get that run he did a half arse job, also if its wavy I would say he didn't get the car straight enough when he blocked it.

Yeh, its def not the panels, its like he put the paint on too thick and its kinda wrinkled, but length ways along the car, rather than top to bottom (if that makes any sence?) Thats not really that bad tho, and I cant really make them redo the whole car, plus it may not come out any better the next time.

Did Whittikers do it? I had my Shuttle done there and the workmanship was a little poor in places, but it was cheap like the car so I didnt care in my case

Nah I had heard a few bad things about them, and they mucked up a roof I got painted years ago, so took it to the guys in kawerau, as noone had anything bad to say about them.

Mate- I think that is bullshit.

Probably 500$ back because they feel bad about a shit job- but a shit job is not what you wanted so IMO is as good as not being done at all.

You 100% deserve to get that car back in the good condition you expected and paid for. If it was a very cheap job then you can't expect panels to be dead straight etc but everything there seems to be pure sloppiness- like a new apprentice has done it.

Spraying metallics might be hard for you or me but for a professional it should be easy- difficulty of laying an even coat should not come into it- if they couldn't get a good result they should have said " this paints shit won't be perfect" and you should have had every option to get shit done elsewhere or differently.

My cousin has a paint and pannel shop- if you'd like I can ask him for any opinions or advice- he's super unbiased with me atleast

Yeh, thats how I feel, I told them I was fussy, and to take their time and and that I expected it to come out pretty damn chur, but I feel its not quite up to scratch, from someone who paints cars for a living.

Oh well, i'll hit them up about the run and chips and see what they say, its better to try sort it now before I put the car back together.

Yeh, its def not the panels, its like he put the paint on too thick and its kinda wrinkled, but length ways along the car, rather than top to bottom (if that makes any sence?) Thats not really that bad tho, and I cant really make them redo the whole car, plus it may not come out any better the next time.

you only see a shit blocking job when you look length ways down a panel, if he layed the clear on to thick it would colour sand up ok when he fixes/fixed the runs & orange peel. Anyway hit him up about the chips etc for sure, .

Yea tbh it sounds like most of it would come good with a good colour sanding job. The chips are a bit different though, unsure if it would be worth doing with out looking at it, but they can definitely be sanded out and touched up, but depending upon where they are it could be a repaint of the door jam, or of the entire roof and rear quarters to make it look right.

It was $2500, was quoted $3G to start off with. The chips are in the door shut, but the front one is partly on the roof, so I guess they would have to do the whole shut and roof to make it look rite. I'm pretty damn sure the trims and rubbers dont cover them, so would be seen even with the door shut. I have a bit of left over paint, but assume it will come out all flat and funny looking if I tried to fix the chips myself with a little brush.