Vintage Grumbles AE86

Brock-Lee

Yeh, its all welded together. Worker probably knew it was going overseas, and was hung up about the war still, so was all fuck you round eye spec.

I've pretty much decided i'm gonna make the fenix radiator fit (too cheap for a custom one, and old ones not worth fixing) I'll do some hard cone measuring tonight and decide the best way to cram it in there.

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

It used to get to 150deg in two laps of track two, before I put the cooler on. Cooler is mid sized one red line/china sells, can go one size bigger, but unsure it'll make much difference. I assume the 12.5:1 comp ratio is why the oil gets so hot? Increasing the capacity of the sump might be the best option I guess?

• Like 1

Slacker Cam had a similar problem, I dunno why 4gaes get so hot. His solution was to replace China cooler with actual good one (Setrab was what I think he uses) was good for about 15 degrees cooler I think. But definitely use the best full synthetic you can as it deals with the heat way better. As a side note it is lol looking at his data logs and seeing the direct inverse correlation between oil temp and oil pressure.

Slacker Cam had a similar problem, I dunno why 4gaes get so hot. His solution was to replace China cooler with actual good one (Setrab was what I think he uses) was good for about 15 degrees cooler I think. But definitely use the best full synthetic you can as it deals with the heat way better. As a side note it is lol looking at his data logs and seeing the direct inverse correlation between oil temp and oil pressure.

I need to hook mine up so I can log the data's, would be quite interesting. I know 4age's make more power when they run hot, but not 100% sure why they are so hard on the oil, I assumed it was the comp ratio? It would probably be cheaper and safer-er for the engine for me to make up a big fancy sump with gates and so on, as i'll be pulling the engine out next winter for a refresh.

maybe add some ducting  from the cooler up to bumper.   air is probably taking the easiest route,  around oil cooler.

I had thought about this, guess it couldn't hurt to ram more air into it. When I changed the radiator, the area between the oil cooler and radiator was solidly packed with bee's and fly's, so doubt much air was flowing through it, but was clear for this round of doorts.

bigger sump probably just take a few more laps and end up at same temps?  cooler in the starlet looks to be about same size as yours, but mocal branded.  i've been too useless to hook up a temp sensor yet. (so can't make a roman dave graph & maybe talking out my ass)   but judging by lack of hotness coming from the outlet of the cooler, its doing its job.   only difference is its mounted beside the radiator, with nothing in front or behind it. so easy for old mate wind to go through it.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

125 deg is OK for your oil as long as your aware it will break down quicker the more time it spends over 100deg. We've seen up to 170deg after 2 laps with a looped oil cooler lines (due to hole in cooler). Brand new motul V300 was toast after 2 laps at this temp and had to throw it away for next race (smells burnt as shit and weird consistency)

Big difference between the brands of coolers. Mocal are OK but over 15-20deg less when using a setrab/greddy seem to be the best. 

Try over filling the diff by as much as you can to help keep everything lubed up during cornering. We use the redline shockproof in my daily coon and the rally car. Both take a beating and seem to handle it OK. Not convinced on the redline though have seen some pretty nasty wear in different applications. Don't know if that could be put down to the oil though.. 

Motul is the closest spec to TRD you will find. Worth its weight in gold (toyota might do it relatively cheap - I know they do motul brake fluid cheap as!). Weir performance make new CW+P's in the states. Bout $300usd isn't so bad. I'm ordering a 5.1 for the rally car soon... 

Don't buy shit oil kids. 

Also love this car. Please enjoy more. 

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...