Vintage Grumbles AE86

Brock-Lee

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

fenix are made locally iirc

Some of them may be, but I think a lot of there stock is imported from Asia or wherever. I bought one of these radiators a few years back for my Levin, ended up returning it after trying to fit it. The locating pins on the bottom were welded in the wrong location so it sat crooked (not parallel with the rad support) and was sitting hard up against the headlight panels. The radiator cap was cheap, and a cunt to get on and off also. These issues may have been fixed since then. When the USD was good, you could get a genuine Koyo radiator for less that 500 to your door.

Run a Fenix in the Civc as they are one of my larger customers over here

Most of there stuff is manufactured in China

Guy who runs the business is Irish and I'm pretty sure he is drunk 24/7

However the rad I got for the Civc fitted perfectly and haven't had any issues with it in the 3 years it has been in the car

• Like 3

Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd it don't fit. Typical. The radiator fouls on the steel either side of it, either its slightly too wide, or the bottom radiator mounts are too far back, pushing the radiator forward into the car. I don't wanna cut/bend the car, so will send it back. Hopefully the original radiator is fixable.

that will be why no cunt ever bolts the things in properly. i have done judging at 4&rotree show in auckland last couple of years and probably a third of the cars had radiators held in with a mixture of gravity, cable ties and hopes & dreams

• Like 5

Emailed redline man, and he reckons he's sold 38 of these radiators without a problem? (sent me all the happy face feedback even) AE86 group on FB tell me the Fenix one will fit sweet, but it looks exactly the same. I'm now starting to wonder if Toyota changed the shape of the steel around the radiator at some point?

Might buy a Fenix one and see what happens.

Get Neil to modify it for clearance. Easy as, job done.

Bahahahahahahahahahaha, Neil and easy job in the same sentence, good one John.

I'm always stoked when I have a valid reason to hit my car with a hammer.

I wasn't keen to cut my car up to fit a budget chinese radiator, its beneath me, haha. (though using one is apparently ok)

I talked to a nice Man from fenix today, and he swears the fenix and redline ones are different, said he would pay for postage back if it doesn't fit straight in, so a pretty black radiator will show up on Monday, and then we shall see. 

• Like 2

its probably because your definition of "fit" means it bolts in and has clearance and doesnt rub on the body and looks right.

whereas everyone elses definition of fit, is the same definition that those big bum poly/maori girls have when they are choosing to wear tights that you can see through because the elasticity has been stretched well past the manufacturers design parameters

• Like 5

its because NZDM

Turns out this may infact be the problem. Rad supports between euro/usdm/nzdm and jdm have different part numbers apparently, so there's a chance they are different.

its probably because your definition of "fit" means it bolts in and has clearance and doesnt rub on the body and looks right.

whereas everyone elses definition of fit, is the same definition that those big bum poly/maori girls have when they are choosing to wear tights that you can see through because the elasticity has been stretched well past the manufacturers design parameters

Lololols, well put. Apparently redline used to tell suby customers hammering was needed to fit one of their radiators, so they may use the term "direct replacement" loosely.

Fenix radiator don't fit either. It's exactly the same as the redline one, just has a different radiator cap on it, no other differences at all. Sooooooo I guess NZDM is different from JDM when it comes to radiator support panel. Gay balls.

SO I have to either make it fit/make new brackets, OR get a custom one made, OR patch up the old one (if its fixable).