the double-22!

Steelies

discussion viewtopic.php?f=18&t=16693

scooters are all the rage, so we threw a little something together at pinkys for a larf, speed trials on otaki beach proved successful but she needs work/changes. took a bit of a hit during a limp-home excersize hence missing chains etc. top speed (down wind) seemed around 40kph, poo but fast enough when youre on it

ingredients:

- 2x 22cc 2-stroke rock-core drill motors, one with 33cc carb cos thats what i had - free

- 1x healing super sprint bike from tip shop - $5

- 1x 'sheidter' kids 12" bike, also tip shop stock - $5

- 1x set of alloy 12" mags from a 'Le Bike' - free

- 1x shitloads of other stuff perked from work or given/lent by mates - free

- 2x 10t chain sprockets, just about the only thing bought specifically for the project - $13ea

- cable splitter for throttle control, centrifugal clutches already on the motors, rags to stop carbs eating sand bla bla

at the mo its missing primary drive chain and the foot pegs.

test chain on

DSCF0684.jpg

the rest are today at work, post test/breakage:

DSCF0687.jpg

• 1 year later...

the deuce deuce now has:

22" drum brake front wheel

tele fork

20" rear with sturmey archer 3spd hub

chainsaw carbs

gay seat

awaiting test and tune, still need to mount gearchange etc. officially the worlds moct difficult to ride motor bicycle, complete with every sort of danger you could want - from burning, through chain mangling, to shameful build quality - ie: perfect

• 3 months later...

grunta and i took this round a velodrome yesterday, was brilliant at full noise. took a lot of fucking with and was a bitch to start the whole time. both my arms are stuffed form pull starting haha

had a few laps though, Joe and cam too. feels like about 40something kph.. speedo next.

Jo had his boyscout chopper but rear wheel failure hampered any record breaking. next week it is so on

• 4 weeks later...

race day yesterday, was fantastic.

tweaks since last run:

- brace to stop motors creeping together

- thermal spacers for carbs

- airboxes for still air

- higher primary drive gearing

had a wicked time at the velodrome last night, only just beat danny on his villiers 84cc boardtrack racer due to his low gearing and my 3 speeds... but hah thats a victory in my book, 44cc in ya face! will need serious luck to keep up on next race day in a fortnight. will need added facial scrunching and hunched riding position i think. astounding breakneck speeds, estimated around the mid 50 kph range! only casualties were me for not wearing earplugs and a fucked pull starter. need to convert to wind-on rope spec.

grunta had his machine in attendance but technical difficulties led to no racing for him.

roll on race day!

DSCF1003.jpg

DSCF1002.jpg

DSCF0999-1.jpg

• 2 months later...

had a good race day last week, shat on by lukes 160cc of course, given a few more laps would have been passed by joeflangegoat on his villiers machine of slow speed building insanity, but luckily had a bit more go than Sam on his 50cc couch, see pic.

motors seem to be fading earlier and earlier each race day, about 5 laps and theyre feelin hella tired. wish i knew more about two-smokes.

velo.jpg

• 1 month later...

new bars and seat, old seat too pussy

SAM_0030.jpg

new carb adapters with pulse from crank case to run fuel pump

couldnt get it to run. yay

SAM_0037.jpg

will probably give it a break and work on wagon for a couple months.

plus, will get velodrome kicks riding the latest incarnation of grunta's bike, some big block briggs doom

that is all

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

homemade springer fork care of 2x old bent forks, 1x Ariel spring, 1x bit of kk's slam-trailer offcut haha.

also, speedometer is now present..

SAM_0292.jpg

edit: brakes

thanks jeremy/kicker - hooked me up some fa50 drum brake bits that go straight into the gayelectricscooter front wheel i have. the forks top out as soon as you touch the brakes, yay for sketchy geometry change and lack of suspension under braking! perfect

• 1 month later...