brought these a while ago now but i have been a bit lazy about trying them on. so here we go.

IMG_20120625_200115.jpg

and my current off set rear suspension setup lol. guess these cars were hand made or something as the trailing arm bar is from a different car and did this. the original one was centre. but its an easy fix just ran out of time before track day.

left, looking good

IMG_20120625_200130.jpg

right, has a bit of poke

IMG_20120625_200150.jpg

side exit exhausts are sweet but they take up to much lowering room

IMG_20120625_200201.jpg

and R200 and half shafts to suit which will be going in soon.

IMG_20120625_200250.jpg

plan now is to get this a cert so i can roll it on weekends. as i have a work car now i no longer need wagon as a daily so this will be going and i will just use this on weekends.

cert list:

-get the R200 in and all setup

-get LSD for R200 as it is a locker currently

-mount passengers bucket seat

-finish setting up suspension and get crack tested

-get fibreglass valance and front spook and fit

pretty short list, just need to be less of a useless cunt and finish this.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

got all my fancy red ignition stuff on. made a very noticeable difference from the get go which is nice.

IMG_20120722_160424.jpg

then i got diff all mounted like so

IMG_20120722_131006.jpg

and everything was going so well to have it back together on the ground then this happened

IMG_20120722_160454.jpg

stub axle fell out of the diff when i pulled the slip joint out to bolt it on to hub. shit. ensure several hours of cursing while i got the spring clip out of the diff to reshape and put back in so the stub stays in. so car is currently still in the air which was not the plan. but should have this sorted tomorrow.

needed a better seat for schedule A so stile one of dads fia rated seats

IMG_20120722_160545.jpg

and when you need both rails to lock to meet schedule A but your car is old so it only has single locking rails. just pinch a matching one from your spare set of seats and heat and bend the end the opposite way. viola dual locking rails :otherbiggrin:

IMG_20120722_164417.jpg

so yeh just waiting to hear back about brake master cylinder as the current news is they need to match selas to it as the kits for it are unavailable unfortunately so hopefully i know by Tuesday so i can still enter dual sprints in time.

and a bit of oldschool love.

IMG_20120722_170725.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

got everything sorted and went to dual sprints. need a new set of rear tyres now, didnt do to many b-owts but locker smoked them.

dooorts.

QOgsJ1yzbIc

Me and Yowzer tuned it on the thursday before hand and its mint as now. Would be quite happy to remove wideband and just roll it.

Next task. a Cert and Hawkes Boes.

Have decided like most people i want more horse power. Factory 240K L24 is a sack and would probably run on 88 octane if it was around. So i need to build something that breaths.

This is my idea.

L24.jpg

Whether it is actually possible to build it i am not even remotely sure. Biggest thing will be if i can take a L24 block out that far with out an issue. Maybe i get an L28 block and plane the deck height down to get the right compression. Basic idea is L28 with L24 crank and rods to make shorter stroke for possibly more revs. Id like an L28 bore as it would make getting my N42 head on to it easier. Need to get a hold of some bits and off to the engine builder to play i guess. As i dont have access to the machinery for this kind of trickery.

• 2 weeks later...

So every time i play with my ignition setup i "loose" my tacho due to buggering up the input to it basicly. The tach in this thing is the same as 240Z in the sense that it is a impulse driven one on the +ve wire. I use the +ve wire from the old coil to turn on the relay that fires up the megasquirt and as such my tacho doesn't even come close to getting a impulse from the coil. Plus when i put the MSD back on you cant hook anything up to the coil any way and the MSD has a square digital out same as the megasquirt.

So i decided i needed to hook the tacho up to the megasquirt so i can play with the ignition to my hearts content. Now if i had a -ve driven tacho a simple tacho adaptor could have been made and away i would go. But no not an impulse tacho. A bit of goolging later as i figured Zed people must mod their tachos to work with newer ignitions and i found this.

http://www.dinoplex.org/tachoconversion/index.html

pretty much uses a programmed eprom as a signal processor to put a 500mV 1ms induction impulse signal on the original input stage of the tacho. so thanks to Ned he is sorting out burning me a chip and i should be away laughing.

Completed circuit with my finger in there for size comparison. Was a little cunty to make due to needing to be as small as possible to fit inside the instrument cluster.

IMG_20120811_135720.jpg

Could be handy for some other Datsun owners on here.

• 2 weeks later...

after last track day i suspected i might be getting some clutch slippage and i have had this cusco super single clutch setup sitting around since i was going to RB this but changed my mind. A few questions later and i was informed it will bolt up straight to the L. Right in it goes.

One cusco clutch.

IMG_20120819_125106.jpg

Pulled the old clutch out and as i suspected it was pretty much toast.

One disc almost at the rivets.

IMG_20120819_140731.jpg

And a pressure plate showing some signs of heat.

IMG_20120819_140749.jpg

The upside to the cusco setup is it is almost half the weight of the factory setup. So im hoping a little more throttle response is gained.

All i need now is to find a suitable release bearing. The L series one is a bit big in diameter and acts a bit to far out on the clutch fingers for my liking. So im going to go check out a RB one tomorrow and see if it measures up the same as a L one but with a smaller diameter bearing.

• 2 weeks later...

Big thanks to Ned, sused the chip out for my tacho converter for me. Its all in and working awesomely now. So that should be my tacho problem all solved.

Clutch is now in and the extra clamping pressure is very noticeable on the pedal. Might need to look at a smaller clutch master or some adjustment to the hydraulics to make it lighter cause it a bit heavy for casual driving. On the up side it grabs awesomely so hopefully some new found speed. Bring on hampton downs this weekend.

And cause pictureless updates are ghey here is a picture of a poster i brought of my car from last track day

IMG_20120828_193601.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

So my first package arrived from Japan today and it housed a rather expensive metal nugget.

And this is it, a Nismo 2 way LSD nugget that has been full reconned.

IMG_20120910_172027.jpg

Last major piece to the cert puzzle. Bring on being road legal.

And a better shot of the Feroces, Should have all 4 on by this weekend.

IMG_20120901_132740.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

slammed some filter socks on it for road use. the biggest ones i could get, havent driven it yet to see if they restrict it much as LSD is the last thing i need to sort out before cert.

IMG_20120913_190508.jpg

and mock up of front spoiler. still on stands so couldnt roll it out and get a good pic but you get the idea.

IMG_20120923_140156_zpsaf01a124.jpg

IMG_20120923_140138_zpsa32f9bc0.jpg

restored panels are fucking awesome. such a mint fit right out of the box.

• 3 weeks later...

went for a cert today. failed on technically 2 things but only 1 is on my fail sheet, the fact i had not got round to getting a horn button. the other thing i failed on is it measures 99db on the exhaust test so it is a bit loud. but certifier said just get a MSNZ log book and be exempt from the noise rules as driving its has a note but its not super loud and droney in the car plus i intend to do club stuff with it anyways so might as well just get a log book.

August Feroces all round.

IMG_20121008_182405.jpg

IMG_20121008_182335.jpg

shot japawags for chucking the tyres on for me. now to reassemble it a bit more and see if i can make it a tad quieter to cruise in. 3500rpm at 100kph is not going to lend well to fuel bills haha.

• 2 weeks later...

Hopefully the last of the painting on this all done now. Assemble this weekend and WOF early next week and she will be all go for hahei.

IMG_20121024_181526.jpg

IMG_20121024_181551.jpg

I painted the chin spoiler the same metallic grey as the tail light panel. Is a cool colour i hope it works well.

• 3 months later...

Racing at taupo with the Z Club this weekend. Going to do fluids tomorrow but have sorted out my shit gear stick setup. So i have slapped in the proper C110 gear stick now so my elbow doesnt hit the seat trying to hook second gear hah plus it feels like i have put in a sweet short shift kit with the amount of play i took out of it haha.

Have mounted wide band in the dash and turned on the EGO settings in the MS, so now im using the AFR target tables. What a awesome difference target tables make for fine tuning your tune on the fly. Hits perfect AFRs about 99% of the time now.

Stay tuned for next update probably containing video's, lets see if i can smoke some Zeds haha.

Was a awesome day and Don has so much knowledge, defiantly a top bloke. He took me for a ride in his C110 with L3.1 and i have to say my L2.4 plans have taken a backwards turn. So much go from stock parts. But i did take it home on a trailer, had ignition problems again, blew another coil driver and fried my coil. Fortunately it happened half way through my last run so still had a full day of hooning. LSD's are max fun so much extra grip and controllable over steer/sideways. Gearbag is gay though Dons closer ratio box is way sweeter for hooning.

So with the coil noobed out when i put the MSD coil on and should have checked primary coil resistance my dwell settings were sweet for my shit old coil i took of it but lush new spec coils with low primary resistance need low dwell times so i was over charging the shit out of it and subsequently why it has cooked everything, oh well new coil and set it up properly and ill be away again in no time.

Thanks to Tom, Rob, Morgan and Shane for rescuing me.