so i failed at track day. i was about ready to turn the key and try start it this morning but i realised it was 11am already and thought nah stuff it, might as well just pack up and go down and see how every one else got on and then subsequently had to come home again but thats another story.

so here is a mash of pics of where it was at this morning. had tonnes left to do really. but its painted and it wasnt to bad for my first time painting but there is a few runs and some patches where i layed it on to thin and it has gone rough. luckily i brought way to much paint so im going to let it harden and in the mean time finish my boat. Then i will wet and dry it back and fix my fuck ups and paint it properly in the day time this time so i get decent lighting and it should be mint.

PAINT!

IMG_20110819_110654.jpg

IMG_20110819_110716.jpg

IMG_20110819_110916.jpg

IMG_20110819_110905.jpg

Fuel/phill (lol)

IMG_20110819_110709.jpg

megasquirt

IMG_20110819_110728.jpg

my sweet little seat dad gave me.

IMG_20110819_110732.jpg

inlet all plumbed up mostly

IMG_20110819_110748.jpg

IMG_20110819_110818.jpg

IMG_20110819_110823.jpg

will get some better pics next time.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

so i have been doing heaps on this but its all just small boring things to take pictures of like finishing of all my wiring, throttle cable, reassembling stuff after painting it, putting in oil catch tank, tidying up fuel lines and so on, all those small jobs to make it tidier which wasnt needed for track day haha.

i probably wouldnt have had it track day anyways as i have been having some spark issues which i have all but solved now. my distributors clearances i had modded it to were a bit tight and it was driving it mildly eccentricity causing some dizzy rotor issues and giving me cross firing and so on. but thats all fixed now.

so i can prove it does in fact run haha yowzer took a small video while i was fucking with some shit, so here is a few minutes of throttle butterflys moving...

zGv98ltY4Tw

i am probably at the point where i would feel happy to start road tuning it now but i have no doors on it yet and i am yet to still finish painting all the bolt on stuff (i wasnt going to paint this for track day) so im looking to get the bits acid dipped as the inside skin of my bonnet is rusting from the inside out and i dont want to de stitch it all so im going to dip it and blast rust treatment all up in there.

but yeh its getting close, debut at hawkes boes!!

EDIT: discussion is down VV there

been alloy soldering up my trumpets. my welder just tacked them in for me so i could solder them as i didnt want to put as much heat into them that was needed to fully weld them as being 3mm alloy they would have buckled to shit.

so you get these fluxless alloy repair rods, they are pretty sweet actually, just bust out your oxyacetelene or if your not that flash even a butane torch.

biggest thing i found with them is you need it up to optimal temperature or the alloy solder just wont take to the alloy at all. it looks like it has but any one who has done normal electronics soldering will notice straight away that it hasnt.

takes a bit of practice but tonight was my first time using them and i managed to get a finish like this.

IMG_20110908_194921.jpg

IMG_20110908_194911.jpg

so yeh just looks like i soldered them up haha. its pretty easy to get the hang of.

so yeh pretty choice. i would recommend them for any one wanting to do some DIY alloy welding stuff. apparently you can fix all kinds of shit with them, even to redoing alloy threads and such. this stuff only sticks to alloy so you can use a normal old bolt and flow this stuff in around the bolts and fix alloy threads with it.

if any one else wants a jam this is what you need

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Crafts/Other/a ... 693268.htm

or www.durafix.com.au

boring update but just been at shed, nothing to take pics of but made sweet progress in the fixing up heaps of shit that wasnt working right.

done:

- found massive vac leak in brake booster line, fixed this, idles mint as now. score.

- finally fixed my radiator after huge amounts of fucking about, soldering these things up can be cunty.

- during the many warm ups fixing my radiator i noticed my temp sensor being in radiator top hose was not warming with the engine as it is after thermostat so cold start enrichment was not working properly, moved that.

- fixed cold starting to not to bad now as i had to warm it up like 3 times when fixing radiator. can start and idle pretty sweet now.

- fixed electric cooling fan and removed engine driven one.

so yep all sorted for road tuning time now.

my bolt on panels are at the acid dippers at the moment and im hoping to get them back next week some time so once they all painted up i can bolt it together and start dorting down the roads

• 4 weeks later...

no picture update this time but mainly to say HUGE thanks to Ky. He gave me a thermostat housing to fix my temp sensor issues and turned out the housing already had a hole in the right size for my odd ball huge GM sensor so no tapping needed there, whew. And he got a steering boss from Japan for me so i now have my nardi on which makes getting in the car easier with bucket seat.

But wholly shit!!! i got my panels back from the acid dippers today, to dip clean and derust my bonnet, boot and 2x front guards and spray primer in the cavities you cant get to with a normal paint gun. Guess how much it cost!

Discuss Down vv there.

• 4 months later...

IMG_20120219_174241.jpg

these arrived from australia last friday, should make the old girl breath a bit better

im going to need to make a new exhaust so if any one can get 2" exhaust stuff cheaps i would be keen to hear from you :)

need to get cracking, nationals is creeping up

• 2 weeks later...

i failed at photos but things are progressing on time. got paint on the inside of my bonnet and boot all prepared for top coating next weekend. all measurements have been done for my adjustable rear end and parts ordered for semi adjustable front end. now all i need is to sus an exhaust.

basically spent the last 2 or 3 weekends making these the right shape, dad has spent ages more on them than me but this is them hopefully in the last coat of primer now. hence the lack of pictures as removing dents is hard to take pictures of haha.

IMG_20120310_173013.jpg

IMG_20120310_172947.jpg

IMG_20120310_172852.jpg

IMG_20120310_172755.jpg

still got this one to finish

IMG_20120310_172811.jpg

side pipe 8) courtesy of mr HotDog (thanks man)

IMG_20120310_172719.jpg

adjustable top hats fitted. still have to make rest of strut fit but they fit the car now, they are S13 ones, had to slot mounting holes by something not even noticeable which was sweet.

IMG_20120310_172652.jpg

and going to do a bit of this tomorrow to make the 205 toyos have some clearance, just need to fold up the inside lip, no guard pumping necessary. chur Jarred.

IMG_20120310_172828.jpg

now time for beers

successful day of finishing panels, come tomorrow everything will be white.

so while i was waiting for putty to dry i thought i would see how much guard clearance was in he rear before i bothered to roll the guards any more. so i stuck it on the bumps.

IMG_20120317_170942.jpg

camber

IMG_20120317_171017.jpg

and clearance

IMG_20120317_171039.jpg

so got about an inch of clearance with the lip rolled up to bout 45 deg.

and i now see why every one says chucking shit on the bumps is so motivating, so keen to roll it that slammed.

so got enough clearance to dial out some camber with the adjustable rear.

IMG_20120324_164110.jpg

One assembled coil over. Note the clamp suitable for testing different heights. Though I don't think I can move it much anyways with out getting shorter shocks so going to have to put it in and see if results are desirable.

Also if any one has c spanners I can borrow for the day tomorrow in Hamilton please pm me.

So here is some struts ready to be welded. So Spencer doesn't smash me I'm going to be shortening the shocks.

IMG_20120325_162624.jpg

More interestingly here is one adjustable cross member.

Take one cross member

IMG_20120325_175913.jpg

Slot the mounting holes

IMG_20120325_175922.jpg

Add some adjusting bolts to the current bolts that hold the arms

IMG_20120325_175935.jpg

And you have adjustable toe on the rear. Need to finish the camber adjustable still. This requires some welding as the plate was not quite big enough for the slot.

Will be assembly time next weekend. Getting excited. Not far to go now.

so suspension in, all panels on. thanks to yowzer for lending me the extra set of hands needed to put it back together.

took it for a drive and well tune is going to need all kinds of work but it does drive. im quite certain that all of the leaness was the fact i have zero AE at the moment due to it being dialed out so i can tune my main VE table. but redline in 3rd gear in this car is very fast and due to not being able to floor it so far all road run out of length very quickly/it was also dark so didnt help.

any ways couple quick photos.

IMG_20120331_191739.jpg

IMG_20120331_191719.jpg

also i epicly ballsed something up, see if you can guess what.

Put an MSD on it today. So much improvement in the ignition department. Did some more tuning and its starting to come up not to bad afr wise now which is sweet. Was about to take a video driving into the shed but it once again wouldn't start so no video. I have figured out my optical dizzy is being silly as when it won't go I loose all trigger input.

So big thanks to ky I have a new one on the way to try. GC. And while I'm at it thanks to Jared for lending me guard rollers and c spanners early in the morning. Chris for susing me a set of c spanners and sheepers for welding my struts up. Love this place and the willingness to help out.

Home stretch now, bring on nationals.

• 3 weeks later...

7082912357_b195625eea_b.jpg

Made it. Went well. MSD makes my positive driven tacho not go so was just on the limiter all day and it loved it. Really need an LSD and less 3.5 ratio diff.

Need to finish it now so it doesn't spend the rest of the weekend on a trailer.

Thanks for pic simon.

• 2 weeks later...