twin cam head on kent 1600 block

d.p.n.s

hi all

ive been doing a little bit of a search on google but was wondering if anyone has heard of any twin cam heads being put on to 1600 blocks.

i know places like butons in the uk still do bda heads and would fuking love one but they are so much money .

so i thought i would post on here to see if anyone has any ideas its something i wouldnt mind doing down the line.

oh a i know there was a guy putting volvo heads on pintos but i looking for 1600 xflows.

cheers

dan

ever heard of a lotus?? = kent block with lotus head (also front timing cover and pulleys etc) but it is a twin cam kent as you ask... :lol:

yeh mate ive heard of lotus ,bda ect,ect

i was just wondering if there was any other types out there.

useing a head off something differant

oh and if you have a lotus head with cams ill have it 8)

How much money you got? i know some people that know some people who have lots of lotus parts.

i wish i had the money for lotus parts mate but i know how much they go for :evil:

what im after is just info ..surly over the years poeple have tryed to fit other dohc heads to the old kent motors.

seriously why would you want to?

i dont realy know lol i was thinking about BDA engines and talking to one of the guys at work and it was them that said surly someone has tryed other heads on the x/flow ... i thought i would ask around ..

and here we are

[

i dont realy know lol i was thinking about BDA engines and talking to one of the guys at work and it was them that said surly someone has tryed other heads on the x/flow ... i thought i would ask around ..

and here we are

There was a guy in Aussie trying it with a Mazda head last year. He was an automotove machinist and as far as I know he failed.

I see where you are trying to go and you are thinking outside the square to try to achieve what your budget wont reach. Good on you I say! Coupled with - it is sadly a waste of time and it will end up costing more than just buying a Lotus ($7k) and will cost WAY more than going to a decent 4AGE or similar.

Sorry. :(

A cosworth twin cam head will bolt on a sierra 205 block. bruce manon does that and gets a healthy 300hp

yeh i know that mate and the likes of burtons and other places in the uk sell bda and lotus heads i was just seeing if there were any more out there.

cheers guys

dan

From researching late 80's and early 90's engines it appears you're out of luck.

You could probably put the higher compression single cam 16v head on from the Endura-E engine, which is a 1300cc from the first gen Ka. This engine was based on the kent block.

The first gen Duratec 8v was also based on the kent block and is available in 1300cc and 1600cc however its not a terribly exciting head and is only 8v and single cam so no great advantage.

From here the Duratec name continued but the engine range was now based on the Mazda MZR engines, so is a completely different design and from what I can see would be as similar as fitting any other twincam head to an old block - not very easy.

Its quite a cool idea that you have and thinking about it almost every manufacturer I'm familier with did just play with earlier push rod (or ohc) blocks and make decent twincam heads for them. I guess even ford did it to a certain extent with the crossflow and BDA/Lotus heads but they just weren't common production vehicles like many other manufacturers.

Although not quite the same obviously... different engines and the like.

If there's a will there's a way.

Chap in the US and his father managed to make an L-series DOHC head, using two chopped up KA24DE heads and some time, experimentation and research (IIRC). There's some vids on YouTube and a thread or two on various places on the e-nets.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=120659

^ thats like the Opel 3.0l twin cam 6 cylinder that they cut down to make a 2L 4 cylinder by lopping off two cylinders. The rear two aswell I think. I posted pics in random pics a while ago I think but can't be bothered finding now. Thats alot easier than trying to make a head though, shit.

totally spam/off topic

but I worked on a chaps Bambina that had half a Fiat Uno engine in it.. The guy could never get it going right/vibration crazy as -

IMHO opinion but noone would believe me is that the firing order was out of sync. it had half the crankshaft from the uno - but with the journals 180 degrees apart,

I stated it would have run much better having the journals siamese then you could have run the firing 360 degrees apart instead of firing at 0 degrees and 180 degrees then 540 of nothing until firing again. Noone would believe me and I wonder to this day if that car ever got further than a awesome idea that idled really rough..

remember that a 4 stroke has 720 degrees of rotation for a full cycle as opposed to a 2 strokes which are only 360 degrees for a full cycle..