10Speed's '68 VW Bug

10Speed

Discussion

1968 Bug, equates to a 64 in terms of US/Europe equivalent body styles I think. Originally a 1300, currently running a 1500. Still OG 6v (only 6v on the site?).

Had it for nearly 2years now, havn't done very much to it until now. Just redone the lowering with adjusters and shocks.

my-vw-05.jpg

vw_00004.jpg

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...

the short form of the long story...

went to a panel beater (close to my old office) for a quick re-spray (about 3 years ago) he took a deposit ripped into the tear down and then basically stalled. I was a bit reluctant to move a car that was dismantled out of fear of losing or damaging parts etc

Recently his business went under owing a fair amount of money to his landlord amongst others I presume. The landlord the seized the premises, forced me to pay storage (I negotiated him down to $100 so it was easier just to pay rather than go to small claims etc).

Yesterday picked up the car (and hopefully all the parts) and trucked it off to a new panelbeaters premises. However I have been using this guy (Elliots Panel and Paint) for years and have always been happy with the service etc. The downside is I have lost my orginal deposit and Elliots will be a fair bit more expensive, but undoubtedly give a better result long term.

Will update in a couple of days once Graham has assessed the vehicle, who knows might be back on the road in time for the end of summer (super optimistic outlook).

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

as part of my 'just fucking get this thing done this year' plan I have commenced on the interior...

stuff I can do at home in the spare room/on the back of the courier. I purchased an interior kit for this years ago, it's all still in the boxes unopened but hopefully all there/the right year and fit etc....

IMG_20120124_212845.jpg

IMG_20120124_212852.jpg

not too bad on the face of it... however the tears are un-repairable...

IMG_20120124_212915.jpg

and under the drivers seat you can see some misguided attempt to repair a broken and missing spring...

IMG_20120124_214759.jpg

interesting construction under the covers...

IMG_20120124_215401.jpg

all torn down.

The base of the drivers seat is had it, will have to track down a replacement. Once replacement is located/acquired I will blast and probably powercoat the lot before re-upholstering them... (unless there is some reason not to powder coat springs that I haven't considered)

really a nothing update so as to give the illusion of progress...

IMG_20120131_220158.jpg

learnt about hog rings and covered the rear seat base in sisel, in preparation for the foam seat pad... turns out I don't have anywhere near enough and this seat has basically consumed my entire supply. will go to storage king tomorrow and purchase some of their moving blankets to continue the job...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

just had my weekly visit at the panelbeaters...

IMG_20120308_120103.jpg

some progress another guide coat applied, still a few dents to iron out, the deck lid needs the inner skin repairs and a badly welded hinge sorted... but inching forward...

IMG_20120308_115314.jpg

this was in the panel shop as well... nice colour...

IMG_20120306_195425.jpg

went through my rubbers (doors,windows,bonnet,boot,fender beading, wind lace, etc) last night, this is the pile of cut/split/worn/etc ones that will be biffed, I have 1 quarter window rubber that might be ok from the original set, not to worry new rubbers were always in the plan...

IMG_20120315_140719.jpg

more straightening of the bonnet... the painter is a grumpy fussy old cunt, who reckons the panel beaters didn't do a good enough job but he'll get it right...

IMG_20120315_140731.jpg

Inside of guard sprayed prior to under sealing (prior to top coat)

IMG_20120315_140712.jpg

ready for guard to be hung so all of the top coat can be done at once with the guards in place...

so keen for this to just be done... my spare bedroom is slowly filling with parts ready for the reassembly...