Tortrons series mm minor of slow

tortron

shes pretty close to painting

everything but the body is in its final primer (need more primer, will see how much pocket money i have this week)

Will start on top coating the interior, door jams, boot and wheel wells/under wings when my new gun gets here

starting to look like a car again

halfprimer.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tortron

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

slow going with this weather, not to mention having the man flu

stopped raining long enough to dry out - so i rolled her outside and got to work

por15sills.jpg

When i first got the car, in fact one of the very first things i did, was to por-15 the interior floor (due to it being entirely surface rust. Not quite at the pitting stage, but with no covered storage and crusty window rubbers it wouldnt have lasted). That was over a year ago now and it has held up amazingly (picture constantly wet, brake fluid spills, engine oil spills, dragging parts (including an engine and box) across it) and no sign of failure. So it meets my tests :lol: .

So today i cleaned and brushed out the sills and chassis rails as best i could. Then sprayed thinned por-15 using an engine cleaning gun/cavity wax gun into every nook and cranny i could find; sills, chassis rails, those bits where the rear wheel wells are, the rails in the boot, rear seat box section- you get the idea. Then gave the cavitys in the boot a good dose before moving onto the wheel wells and boot floor.

Still to do is the underneath of the car (planning on re-bushing all the suspension at some point so will do it then), behind the dash (as i somehow missed this last time) and inside the doors.

This is then to be topped off with a healthy dose of cavity wax, overkill? i think not!

If this car needs any further rust work in the next 60 years i will be surprised :D

- (my "new" 1960's electrolux in the foreground - im a sucker for period accessories)

edit: more work

bootpor.jpg

guardspor.jpg

so got sick of working on the morrie today.

so tried something different. Made up my carb manifolds (well 1 and a half as i must have put 1 of the flanges somewhere where i would remember it :? ).

will be using these filters rather than the previously shown ones

filters-1.jpg

perhaps not as much flow through these, but they are more period looking and gives me better clearance to the passengers shock

manifolds are now made. Just wanting a final clean up, finishing of the flange faces and a coat of something petrol proof

spent a bit of time today modifying the backing plates of the filters (off an old jag, so didnt exactly bolt right up to 1 1/8th carbs). So thats done and while i was at it i made up all new gaskets for the carbs.

so here is what i am left with today (mounted on a manifold i wont be using)

twincarbswithfilters.jpg

looking pretty good if you ask me (minus the greasy fingerprints that is)

so today i have linished all the surfaces relating to the intake and exhaust

- made gaskets for all

mounted carbs and exhaust

finalised choke linkages

made up throttle spindle linkages - need to spend a bit more time on these before im happy with their functionality

attempted to start it

-flat battery (from jumping the bike) and unable to use the starting handle as i have removed its guide

- zowell will have to wait a bit longer to try them out

• 2 weeks later...

^ instrument panel is now smoothed out and in primer

have just been going through the box of parts and sorting them into things to be painted (and what colour) and things to polish

thinking of polishing up the alloy rear light bodies (originally body colour) as i like shiny thing and it should look good against the black body.

cleaned up the glass brake lights too - they were quite dirty inside, so this should make them a hell of alot more visible

rearlights.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Ultimately its the small details that take alot of time

knobs.jpg

been flat out working most of the time so have taken to trying to get just a few pieces done every night - slow progress but progress none the less. Now have everything that was to be polished polished. Just a couple of small parts wanting painting

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

screensstrapped.jpg

not bad for 8 hours of work :shock:

Ask anyone who has done work on a morrie - getting a split screen in (and getting it to stay in) is the cuntiest job possible - far more of a prick than the rear window or even taking the master cylinder out

anyways - the straps are the recommended method

i have set the centre gap to the recommended width for the gasket. Will leave it like this for a day or two for the rubber to settle down (its quite stiff - getting the interior flap to not roll under on itself was the main reason this job took so long).

Then install the centre strip (chrome strip, T section rubber gasket, internal rubber gasket, internal metal strip). Then the two side chrome strips (some say they should be installed before the glass, some say after, i cant see it being a problem to do it after)

You may note the old wof stickers - all from the early 80's. I managed to crack the passenger side glass taking it out, it had several kinds of glue in there so i expected i may break on of them. Fortunately i had a couple of spares, this being one of them.

Also The bonnet and front grill have been installed - again with new hinge gaskets, bonnet bump stops, inner wing gaskets and park light rubbers. The fuel tank has been screwed back in (new tank to body seal on that one too). Will head back out later and sort out the headlights and associated wires

well the screen is well and truly in there now

have just installed the centre pillar, i found that the lower edges of the glass had crept in just slightly making the gap too small - so i dug out a near 100 year old sidevalve valve spring tool and was able to separate them (it spreads rather than closes, to push against the block i guess). The next problem was how to get the inner screen screws (they have an internal thread and the chrome pillar has studs) through the rubber as its a very tight fit. The easiest way i found was to assemble the inner parts (rubber gasket, inner metal pillar and the 4 screws) then poke 4 bolts through the centre rubber through to the inside. Thread the screws on and pull the lot through the rubber.