.: SR Coupe :. Toyota Corolla ke36

.: SR Coupe :.

After reading up on everyone else's projects threads for far too long i thought itd be cool to have one of my own.

First up is my recent daily, its a kp61, jap import, meaning its got electronic ignition, air con and had in cab adjustable fender mirrors (until one of the previous owners thieved them for himself haha), mint haha. got it off a guy i know for a good price who cooked it and warped the head. got the head skimmed new gasket and set the tappets and she now runs like a dream! 4k 4speed... 5 speed waiting to go in.

Came with polished sprint wheels, new wof, and lowered, also a nicely painted satin black bonnet, which i like more than i first thought... this is how she looked

dsc02731mq9.th.jpg

Gave it the mad clean, vacuum and polish and she started looking a little better, trimmed the rear springs up to make it sit level haha, has brand new shortened shocks so everything is nice and captive.

got some fender mirrors from pick a part off an 80s 323, thy suit the black bonnet.... starting to look a little jdm i feel :)

I also have a ke36 thats sitting pretty in the garage for now and thought the 14" ssr's with 195/45's would look ok on the starlet, whilst the wagon isnt doing anything. brought it closer to the ground coz of the low profile too, cant complain :D

dsc02795ei1.th.jpg

Thats all its got for now, pretty damn happy with how shes looking, planned just to flick it on to make some $$ but probably gonna sell the fxgt and drive this instead haha. Any suggestions would be awsome, i was thinking oil cooler with lines out the grill might suit it and add a bit more flavour. . maybe even paint a thin whitewall on the tires . . . . what you guys think ?

heres some pics

dsc02820ng1.th.jpg

dsc02829mb9.th.jpg

dsc02814fu3.th.jpg

Also the wagon, havent got any of the build pics on the comp but has had panel and paint work, lowered etc, otherwise standard, info and progress on that will come one day..

dsc02656hs0.th.jpg

dsc02648zr0.th.jpg

• 2 months later...

Long time no update on the starlet, havent been driving it at all, has just sat in my grandads drive as ive kinda filled ours up (again) by buying a 84 st140 Corona. Pics to come.

Gonna sell the fxgt now (4 cars aint really a good look when still at home), drive the Corona as a daily and for new years... and 4age the starlet.

Have been collecting parts and its nearly ready to be converted.

Brought a bluetop 4age out of this ae82 gt NZ new that was crashed around Shelly Bay. Got to see it running before removal and compression test it etc. Was a good purchase as got every little bit which will save money and hassle in the long run.

4ageprojectkp612007004pq5.th.jpg

4ageprojectkp612007001fx0.th.jpg

Progress so far has been the loom chopped and all unecessarys removed by Hamish from Import Enahancements (reccomended). Its now a 3 wire job to make the car run: constant power, acc power, and cranking power all off the ignition barrel. Also had him fit a fuel pump relay so it will turn the fuel pumps off incase i crash, haha.

Before:

4ageprojectkp612007027xb2.th.jpg

And after,

holcarprojects001dd8.th.jpg

(3 wires, 3 plugs too ecu and the fuel pump relay)

holcarprojects002le3.th.jpg

Have purchased a T50 20 spline gearbox which will save changing driveshafts as k series are already 20 spline. VL fuel pump from pick a part for the high pressure EFI pump, sucking from a 2litre surge tank( off trademe, should arrive tomorrow) being fed from a facet fuel pump ( tomorrows purchase along with 8mm steel fuel line). I didnt want to run the surge tank in the boot and after much time lieing on the ground looking underneath have decided to run the surge tank in the engine bay, cert man said it was OK.

Have brought engine mounts off Trademe, and had the fwd inlet manifold chopped up and switched to rwd, more pics to follow as i document the build!

Will hopefully build a fun streeter and weekend car that i can tow behind the corona too track days etc. would also like to play with turboing the bluetop once the novelty wears off. More pics will come over next few days as uni exams are doooonnnee and have 4 months of summer holidays to work on cars (and work to pay for them) :D

Progress is good. Yesterday brought a facet fuel pump, 36gph and like 4-6psi which should be perfect for filling surge tank, and only $55. Surge tank arrived also, brought it off the Sinco Customs man on trademe who makes them to order. Such quality work and custom made and on your door in like two working days all for $95, cant go wrong.

Pic of the facet, surge and engine mounts:

cars001ym7.th.jpg

This is a pic of the oil cooler i plan on using, its real similiar to the one in my projects discussion... might be plumbed up as imitation for a start as 130ish on a thermostatic oil cooler adapter is money better spent atm.

cars005qn2.th.jpg

Pic of the dirty Pick A Part VL fuel pump, hope it works :lol: Does anyone know what the other thingy next to the fuel pump is ? fuel filter im guessing?

cars003pn7.th.jpg

Also my FXGT had this cool looking Kingspark coil device on it that looks very frash, and now im selling the car i thought i should take it off and use it for the starlet. Anyone know anything about these things?? it has its own mini loom and all:

cars002wd2.th.jpg

cars004ra0.th.jpg

Progress today was good, whipped the 4age onto the engine stand, drained the oil and took the sump off and cleaned it up. Took the fuel tank out of the car and took it and the sump down to Import Enhancements to have a new 8mm pick up braized on the fuel tank too suit the new fuel line i brought yesterday (5/16 or 7.9mm and 3 metres of it, should be enough). The sump is having an oil return fitting welded on, i figure its a safe guard for if i go turbo later, saves taking the engine out to get to the sump right ?! :lol:

And a couple of the pics of the wagon that i scanned on, have no real pics of how it is now sorry.

Shows how rooted it was when i got it lol

waghd1.th.jpg

Tidying it up

wag1ck6.th.jpg

How it is now, next to my old starlet.

wag2pw1.th.jpg

Ive since dented up the front right hand side guard, coz im an idiot and clipped a stupid fence when reversing out of a drive way. :cry:

Any suggestions on any of this fire them away guys. cheers

• 2 months later...

long time no update.

sold this-

dec07028al3.th.jpg

Brought this

dec07043ep1.th.jpg

Spent most of my time leading up to xmas sorting it out to a level that wasnt and embaressment for tripping round over the holidays and new years etc.

ended up looking like this-

dec07014uj9.th.jpg

rotoitixmas2007133bh1.th.jpg

Lowered it, polished it, cleaned it, put the good ol SSR's on it ( slutty wheels been on all my cars) and boso inspred twin tips out the back.

4age wise.... have decided to sell the starlet, and turn wagon into the donor vehicle as it seems more sensible having one project and two cars rather than three.... so if anyone wants a cool little starlet with all the goodies (4k-u twin squish engine, 5spd, air con, electronic ignition blah blah) let me know

wagons progress so far, engine out, k series loom removed to under dash incase i want to go back to original, de loomed engine bay lighting and stuff all hidden. cleaned up the engine (some new gaskets and lots of silver/ black spray) and its now in the hole. Fuel line bent up (8mm) etc etc. got it a wof (first pop) before eng came out so have six months with no cert also :D

Some pics-

ash012ar9.th.jpg

ash015oj1.th.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

So progress has been good with the wagon, but like all things wayyyy slower than what was planned for :lol:

Its running, and real well, its a nice engine, luv it.

Had problems with the clutch and being far too hard to engage, needed to have legs like the incredible hulk, so mounted the master cylinder further down to get better pedal throw.

Has been sitting ever since as i do all the jobbies on it: pics do the talking-

dsc03884az8.th.jpg

Mongrel looking thing. sitting in the carport, it kicked dads car out

dsc03885nk0.th.jpg

dsc03889jw3.th.jpg

Sitting real low at the moment as no rear suspension.... or bump stops haha. If only it could always be like this, too much choppie choppie involved though. Im redoing the rear as it used to have reset leaves that where too reset and bent the wrong way and pulled it onto bump stops. Have mixed and matched original leaves with reset ones and thrown another in to get it sitting higher and then will add a 2inch block to bring it back down, but hopefully have suspension travel thsi time. Im sure mixing different tension leaves like this not the best idea

but not paying $200ish to have reset again at this stage.

Have also had the drivers door and front right guard resprayed as both where rooted.

dsc03891nl5.th.jpg

Heres a pic of the engine bay, pretty happy with how its turned out, all wires etc hidden.

dsc03894mt5.th.jpg

Carpet on order from Know Auto Carpets Australia so pulled mine our ready to tidy up underneath etc. They dont make a boot one for wagon so got some extra length to make one up. Orignal copper loop pile should look nice.

Refitting original door cards as was an idiot and cut my last ones up for speakers, if i run a stereo this time it will be headunit glovebox and speaker under dash. Also looking at a few gauges atm (tacho, water, oil press...an boost) will try make them fit the dash and look orig. Inspiration comes from Simon in Aussie's (Taz RX on forums) dash. See how hes mounted a tacho in one of the two bigger gauge holes.

dashwi3.th.jpg

Also brought equal length turbo manifold, with new copy T3 turbo and wastegate :lol: Will go on later though.

Thats all for now.