johnnyfive's '73 Subaru GSR

johnnyfive

Todays update is bought to you by Nokia cellphone camera, fuck!

Short video of the exhaust, poos I know.

http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a28/waimaks/GSR%20coupe/?action=view&current=Video000.mp4

As it currently sits, no longer as beached on hoist as it was, still gets beached, but not so much. Currently ~80mm at front with adjusters wound 100% down.

Image080.jpg

The inside of my boot with the cutdown and painted billboards removed, note braces and safety fuel tank location.

Image071.jpg

The view from in the cabin with the rear seat squab removed, note safety fuel tank location pt2. Also please never crash into me, I like living.

Image072.jpg

Fuel tank etc removed, view straight through.

Image077.jpg

Rear end droop.

Image070.jpg

Add some more of these into rear trailing arm inner mount = more camber, Techically I should probably have not put them back in to combat the camber I've gained by lowering, but my argument is that they would get lost, so back in they go!

Image079.jpg

Pile of things sitting about.

Image078.jpg

Have a great day!

• Like 3

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Got Wheel alignment on friday, shit was way out.

DSCN1122-1.jpg

DSCN1123-1.jpg

Will be attempting to remedy wheel bearings early next week, then its REGO, insurance, and NATS

Exhaust clearance @ WOF height

DSCN1121.jpg

I spent some time attempting to strip paint off some of the other 14' SSR's I have.

What a cunt of a job, I hate paint stripper and I hate meshies now too.

This is the best I've been able to do so far, might just slam some tyres on there and say get fucked.

DSCN1115.jpg

How it looks for WOF

DSCN1116.jpg

Photoshopped matching wheels

DSCN1117.jpg

And a few other random shots.

DSCN1118.jpg

DSCN1120.jpg

DSCN1119.jpg

Also, found LH lower balljoint was fucked last weekend, and looked very similar to the same item on Brumby. So pilfered one off my crashed Brumby on Monday night. Forgot about it untill Friday when during my lunch break I concluded it would be a good idea to attempt to fit it for W/A.

Turns out it was the right balljoint, except I had overlooked that the GSR's one was riveted to the lower arm with 10mm rivets, and the Brumby item with M14 nuts and bolts.

Enter angle grinder, chisels, drills, and me getting very very furious. Lunch break was extended by 1hr, but got it done with minutes to spare.

So yeah, progress is on track.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Alright, So the cars now handled a pretty good run since ^ then.

Palmy- Nats- Gymkhana(roughly 5th place!??)- Welly- Back to Palmy- Auckland- Hamilton- Rotorua- and finally home.

~2200km in 7 days sitting at 4k-rpm. I'm pretty pleased with how its gone. Exhaust + rear inner guards have taken a hammering, might weld a flexi into exhaust to try and cope with the occasional scrape that occurs.

Brakes are still a little poo poos, after a mild fang through the Rotomas, there was a bit of brake fade evident, along with the pedal feel I'm still not happy with. So that might get some attention.

Getting supplies in Turangi with Vintage Grumble

DSCN1133.jpg

DSC03101.jpg

DSC_1685.jpg

Mid cruise

_R070112.jpg

227991_10150180239646267_574171266_6991681_7587769_n.jpg

222811_10150180239536267_574171266_6991678_7691805_n.jpg

IMG_1750.jpg

IMG_1746.jpg

_R070190.jpg

IMG_1474.jpg

IMG_1308.jpg

5715115153_102d49d016_b.jpg

Would trade again A++

• Like 2

• 11 months later...

Aiight!

So 2012 nats & trackday & velodrome death weekend have been and gone, And I done did a little work in order to attend this glorious event in the JIZZER.

First up, I needed a WOF, I can't 100% remember what I did in order to get that, but I do remember two new WAN-LI tyres 8)

And for my own peace of mind I fitted a new (used) brake master cylinder out of Keltik's old white hatch (RIP), it helped, in the sense that brake fluid stays in its respective reservoirs, braking quality/ability remained meh, but sufficient.

I also had some downtime at work so stripped down the dualcarbs + manifold I have. Back together using the best bits of 4 carbs, ghetto'd some wee brackets and things together and a hardly functioning airfilter housing. Re-routed rocker breathers into some things. Doesn't spew as much oil into as many places.

IMG_20120411_132741.jpg

Revs out a bit more freely (power tapers off by ~6k) and has gained what feels like a few more powers. So thats worth it I guess. Doorts a bit too.

Water pump shat itself at this point. So it got replaced.

Then I went to nats! Car performed well, developed a misfire during the trackday which I haven't bothered to try and find yet, and suffered some sabotage during the poker run, so is currently minus locks.

DSC06486.jpg

Felt pretty good on track, smoked a lot after RH turns initially, turns out I'd overfilled the oil a bit in my hurry to change it before nats, Was sweet once it'd burnt enough off.

IMG_8043Medium.jpg

Only had a pair of quite worn semis on the front again. Slowly getting to terms with how much grip it has/hasn't.

6936836732_f303eb6321_b.jpg

I probably had a lot of room for improvement braking-wise, was going pretty lightly under brakes due to my dis-trust of the brakes in it. That said, it pulls up pretty well, and didn't show any signs of fade even later in the day when I spent quite a while just fanging around I think.

7079204141_ede9e38c55_b.jpg

With a set of 4 slicks it'd probably be a bit quicker again, I mean its not fast by any means, but I was pleased that I could keep up/gain ground on a few cars through the bends. It's just lacking a bit of zoom when the track opens up a bit.

7082909423_429cd72218_b.jpg

Overall I'm pretty pleased with how it performs, feels zippy enough for what is realistically ~60kw, with mostly standardish everything. Makes me wonder how well it went back in '73.

Photo credits go out to you lovely folk with cameras, you know who you are 8)

Also, I've been thinking possibly about moving on from this thing, are there many people who would be genuinely interested in owning this and doing it justice (read: doing more than me)

Discussion

//oldschool.co.nz/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=11232

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

So I got word today from my old man that somethings fallen over in the shed where its on hiatus and has smashed the rear windscreen, Haven't checked it out yet personally.

But if anyone who reads this has spare glass for a Subaru 1400 Coupe (doubt the hardtop glass is the same) years '71 through '76? 

Discuss/send me looking in a paddock here.

//oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/22150-waimaks-gsr/page-15

Alternatively if anyone wants a GSR or a Brumby project giz a holla, I want some achievable projects (read:easier)

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Got this running and drove around a bit yesterday. Needs attention obviously so hopefully there hasn't been too much deterioration on the mechanical side of things.

This mess

IMG_20160117_114500.jpg

Turned into this

IMG_20160117_150425.jpg

No matter how thorough clean up you think you're doing, goddamn chunks of glass everywhere/my feet.

For the matters of public interest I have received a quote to make and fit a custom rear window by an Auckland company 

$850NZD + GST and I understand the car is needed for 2 weeks in Auckland.

I don't think I'll go down this path, because well, $50 car, and I'm one broke mofoker. 

• Like 6

• 3 months later...

Spent some time liberating the rear screen from the green turd yesterday. I suspect the green one was a low spec model compared to the orange GSR as it doesn't have rear demister. 

IMG_20160507_160502.jpg

Spent a bit of time with some window cleaner and a razor blade to remove the lichen and funk. Perfect.

IMG_20160507_163648.jpg

And so the green one was parked in an open yard next to SH3 since the year 2000 it would seem. Subsequently anything easily removed like lights, trim and badges has been. 

Funnily enough, this pair of badges don't appear to be worth stealing.

IMG_20160507_165506.jpg

May order some window rubber I think matches from Basis' selection this week if credit card says yes.

Tell me stuff about window demister kits and tetanus here.

//oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/22150-waimaks-gsr/page-19

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...