Thousand [2150?] Dollar Supercar's 1988 Alfa Romeo 33 1.7QV

V8Pete

I looked through my policy and all I could find was $3000 cover for being hit by an uninsured driver.

Key point here, is that the insurance company deals with it, not you. You just say "this happened, here are the details" and they either get the cash from the other insurer, or the other dude via court if they have to. They fix your car, and then collect the costs on your behalf. Most have this anyway.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I rang the other guy's insurer again today. The situation is:

• [*:pi6nietg]My story says he u-turned into me as I passed him
    [*:pi6nietg]His story says he was waiting in the centre of the road to turn right into a side street, and I drove into him as he started to make this turn. He only then did a u-turn instead to sort out insurance etc
    [*:pi6nietg]His insurance company say it's my fault, that I can't make assumptions even about drivers not indicating, and that if I want to dispute it they need a statement from me, it'll go to a disputes hearing etc etc

It's all a bit debatable. Guess I might just have to call it quits and look at getting the Alfa repaired myself. :cry:

No way man, write a very wordy letter stating your intentions and draw an awesome diagram of what actually occurred. An indicator is there for a fucking reason otherwise they wouldn't be a goddamn warrantable item!

Surely even turning right (presumably) from the non-right most lane would = him at fault. Unless you overtook him on the wrong side of the road. Small claims/disputes tribunal ftmfw though.

Unfortunately Shortland Street's only one lane in each direction and I did cross partly onto the other side to get around him. The damage to my car (http://www.axys.co.nz/ben/alfa33/accident1.jpg) doesn't really start far enough back to provide indisputable evidence of him hitting me vs me hitting him.

Nah, fuck.

The insurance company is just trying it on. They know your an individual in a 20 odd year old car. They are making assumptions about your ability to step fight the fight.

1. The dude was not indicating. Assumptions or not, the dude turned into the path of a following vehicle without giving prior warning. Strike one.

2. Clearly, he turned IN to you. Had he started turning before you were along side him, You would have damage on the FRONT section of your car. You dont. This means he did not check his blindspot. Strike two.

I have had a very similar accident and i did have to battle the insurance company. But n the end, they paid out and teh car was fixed at their cost.

Everything he did, was wrong and was a direct contributor to the accident.

Do diagrams (in visio if you can, remember - these people assume you are stupid) write a well written and detailed account of the event, and be assertive!

yeh i agree with twisted, it is a tricky situation but i say go for it an insurance company is gonna try it on but if you word your story right it shouldnt be hard, have you got any witnesses to call on also?

Fight it hard. These guys are right, except : Indicators don't mean dick legally. (some of our laws are SO fucked up...)

I dug up this thead because I'm going to the Nurburgring for the weekend and this car will be there :

http://www.mende.belgienet.be/homepage/show/1437927.jpg

I'll try to snap a few pics of it for you if you want.

Fred.

dont read to much into that dyno result as i got a really low reading from the shore performance dyno , also found that they didnt really know what they were doing and didnt get much feedback from them .

the dyno that murray from "webber specs" uses is good and he really knows what hes doing if your on carbs , hes in parity place in glenfield .

Shore performance are a pack of halfwits.

I took my Mach1 muzzy in there to have a flatspot in the low rev range sorted,they reckoned I need a new coil,so i told them to biff one in,still bucketing at low revs.....they said maybe a new dizzy...sure bif it in i said.....then it was the fuel pump...again....biff one in....then it was the carb...too small for the 351 clevo so I got a brand new 950 dominator which they rejetted to an 850 or something............yep......it was still farting at low revs....then they dyno'd it and told me it was making 190kw at the wheels....when i know it was a good 280kw.......was a late 10sec car.

All that work was dont in one day,at a cost of almost 2G,and they still couldnt remedy the prob...or be bothered to tell me anything other than "oh,it must be a sticky valve"

Smegheads.

• 1 year later...

just had a quick browse through and noticed these wheels:

RF_SMALL.JPG

Think they are the same as what I have sitting in the garage:

watanabe1.jpg

Have you kept them? I am thinking about getting them stripped and powder coated.

Semi-pointless post,

Oh and weird @ tyre bulge, was that related to the accident or did it just decide to do that on its own?

Yeah, those teledial alloys are still on my grey car. The steel wheels that came on that car went to the scrapyard on the silver demolition derby car.

Don't you powdercoat your wheels that yellow, that looks awful. :P

I reckon the tire bulges (there were two) can't really be blamed on the accident, even though they were on the wheel from the area which got hit by the other car. That tire had been requiring weekly inflation over the past month and it was feeling slightly square on the trip down to Hamilton, before the crash. The bulges developed gradually on the motorway on the inner shoulder of the tire, where you don't think to check. =|

• 1 year later...
I reckon the ticking noise could well be a leaking exhaust.

I thought about that - even moved my hand around the headers trying to feel a leak with the engine idling. Haven't found anything though. Maybe I should have another look, but an exhaust leak's not gonna make one spark plug sooty is it? Perhaps that was a coincidence / perhaps each cylinder has separate idle mixture adjustments and I need to get them tuned..

As for more slam? The ride is already trading off improvements against crashfulness and bouncification. If I go lower then the existing problems of positive front camber under cornering, the need to also reduce roll, to shorten the panhard rod and to compensate the brake bias compensator might get harder to ignore. Basically if I were to go further I'd have to do it properly, and there's other bits of the car that need money / time first.

I reckon the ticking noise could well be a leaking exhaust.

I thought about that - even moved my hand around the headers trying to feel a leak with the engine idling. Haven't found anything though. Maybe I should have another look, but an exhaust leak's not gonna make one spark plug sooty is it? Perhaps that was a coincidence / perhaps each cylinder has separate idle mixture adjustments and I need to get them tuned..

jam a bit of garden hose in ya ear and point it at stuff until sound gets loud and thats where that shits coming from