Thousand [2150?] Dollar Supercar's 1988 Alfa Romeo 33 1.7QV

V8Pete

[quote

I know Murray from Webber Specialties - he reconditioned my carbs and gave a talk at an Alfa club evening once. I didn't realise he had a dyno though, maybe he should be the one to retune the carbs after this project's over.

he doesnt have a dyno but theres one over the road from him that he uses , so it can be quite pricey as you pay for his time as well as the dyno time ($300-400 for a tune )but its worth it

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

haha was just reading your latest post about your new 1.5 33 and its warning lights / alfa remote control, and dude i feel ur pain!! my daily driver is a 1997 155 2.0 and all the warning lights on the dash are constantly on even though ive been assured theres nothing wrong so long story short i just took the bulbs out haha works a treat!

• 3 weeks later...

dynos are all dodgy. dont trust them unless you were involved in engineering them.

if you want to know the torque, back calculate from the power. the torque measured is probably directly that of the rollers including tyre to roller ratio, diff ratio, gear ratio etc.

a sensible "loss" % for your box depends on its layout inside. vw beetle and fwd ones are in the 10% range rwd is 15 - 20 usually, but its not linear in any case, ie, if you have a factory rwd car it might be 20% at 150hp, but when you turbo that engine on the same box and make 300hp, you may only lose 12% sort of thing. the rwd setup is less efficient for two reasons, A hypoid drive diff B except for fourth where its perfect efficiency barring bearing friction you have TWO pairs of gears for each "gear" in a fwd or vw you only have one. the fwd has a helical diff too so its a hair better than the beetle. also, if you have a massively over rated box from the factory, you will lose more power to it. if its piss weak from the factory, you'll lose less.

lol @ buying many alfas good luck keeping them all under control at the same time :-)

i need to pm you with my latest cunning plan too!

fred.

lol @ buying many alfas good luck keeping them all under control at the same time :-)

That part is actually proving more difficult and expensive than I anticipated. :wink:

I've attempted to come up with a formula to calculate the number of Alfa Romeos a normal full-time employed person can maintain simultaneously, but cosmic alignments are difficult to incorporate. I can tell you the answer seems to be approximately two.

Last night I found the grey car's radiator reservoir had mysteriously emptied and that some of the smallest cooling system hoses were blocked with rust. :?

The black one looks so good for the amount of rust repairs it needs... although, ...it is italian :lol:

Its fwd aye? with a transaxel gearbox?

Blardy rust repairs. This pretty minor rust at the top of the black car's windscreen had been there for ages but some bits of paint finally came off from people poking at it, and a new WOF place I'd never been to before decided to make me fail.

Yeah my 33s are FWD although 4WD was available. The layout is similar to this Subaru diesel boxer:

http://www.motorpasion.com/images/2007/03/motor_boxer_diesel_subaru_2.jpg

(diesel boxer? A recipe for rattles..)

Engine and clutch are infront of the axle line, then somehow the diff squeezes in the middle while the gearbox is out behind.

• 1 month later...
that sucks bro, he was definitely deemed as being at fault by the police eh?

What police? :cry:

is the grey one up for trackday? haha

If it could get an outer CV boot and its timing belts and tensioners changed in time. I was hoping to do these myself but I'll have to pay my mechanic if I want to meet the deadline. I don't know whether he'd have all the parts just hanging around either.

As for insurance, I only have third party so I have to chase up the plasterer's boss myself and convince him to give me his insurance details. He hasn't responded to txts today, so I'll ring him tomorrow but I'm not liking my chances.

No police and no witnesses? I don't like your chances man.

Also, they don't like you to know it but there's clauses in the 3rd Party contracts that allow 'x' amount of spending on repairs, might pay to see what you can get done via insurance.

Yeah, your insurance can fix your car and then sue/charge the other dude/boss/insurance and leave you out of it. That's usually the case anyway. Bummer about the car. Lessons learned. Last time I went to pass a car that was moving left but about to do a surprise right on the right I was doing nearly 130, same shit, fucking lucky to have lived, let alone dodged them! I've always been wary of pricks doing just that ever since. Only miles can teach you that shit.

Yeah, your insurance can fix your car and then sue/charge the other dude/boss/insurance and leave you out of it. That's usually the case anyway.

Might be the case if I had full insurance cover...

Plasterer boss man didn't answer his mobile when I called and hasn't returned my message. Went to see the cops and got a crash/complaint form to fill out. The tyre place that just sold me four new tyres took a look at the sliced tread blocks from the accident and said don't take that on the track, it's dodgy. Get it replaced under the other guy's insurance. :rolleyes:

Dude most third party insurance has other party accident cover for times like these. You need to name the driver though, for your insurance co to chase up.

Do you know the name of the business? If so go pay them a visit.

Might be the case if I had full insurance cover...

No, what he said above.

Actually. No.

What Phil and I said above.

Also, they don't like you to know it but there's clauses in the 3rd Party contracts that allow 'x' amount of spending on repairs, might pay to see what you can get done via insurance.
Dude most third party insurance has other party accident cover for times like these. You need to name the driver though, for your insurance co to chase up.

My panelbeater had a car in one time that was hit at the lights, not his fault he only had third party too and the insurance, as I said, has a clause in the 3rd Party option that will cover 'x' amount of damage. They're not going to widely advertise it, or repair without a push but it exists and you're entitled to it.

I looked through my policy and all I could find was $3000 cover for being hit by an uninsured driver. The guy who hit me reckoned his boss did have insurance, it's just that the boss has yet to answer his phone or return my calls.

Do you know the name of the business? If so go pay them a visit.

I got the guy's address today by paying $2.20 at a Post Shop, showing my ID and filling out some little form. :twisted:

Seems like a residential address - the business is probably run out of his house.