• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

have done a half assed tune with the new cams. waiting on bigger injectors as current ones are maxed. but seems to go pretty decent. is gutless till about 5500. then comes on strong and power is on the rise, all the way to the limiter. (8300 at the moment) with a fresh block, more compression and a few other tricks. should go pretty sweet.

sold the forged internals for my fwd starlet. and brought these for the 4a instead:

PIC_0001ps.jpg

1mm oversize bringing it out to a massive 1627cc. 11.3:1 compression ratio with stock gasket. should be near 12:1 with trd head gasket

have a silvertop block getting built at the moment, with the above pistons. arp rod bolts and balance. so should be good for some more revs without flying apart. will give head a tidy up when its swaped onto new block.

• 1 month later...

so head went to the rebuilders along with block.

sweet valve grind

Pic_0005he.jpg

shimless buckets

Pic_0013he.jpg

trd head gasket, arp studs, toda pistons.

Pic_0008blk.jpg

head back on.

Pic_0006eng.jpg

engine dude still has my crank pulley, flywheel and clutch. so thats about it for now

• 1 month later...

kinda boring update,

new engine has been in awhile and clocked up 1500k's or so. running sweet with a choice lumpy idle. goes a bit better than the old engine. isnt as guttless under 5000rpm thanks to the higher compression. still need to play with the cam timing to get the most out of it. its dialed into the recommended settings from kelfords at the moment.

Pic_0008aa.jpg

• 1 month later...

been working on this thing a bit lately.

had to make new brake reso relocator, as rubber hoses on old one couldn't handle the brake fluid and melting away and shit. kinda dodgy yeh! so made stainless one,

Pic_0002br.jpg

made new megaphone pipe, seems to have gained a bit of power in the lower revs, kinda hard to tell tho. hopefully will have it on the dyno soon, to set cam timing and see which pipe works best.

Pic_0001mga.jpg

Pic_0006mga.jpg

was having problems with it throwing oil out the breather at high revs. put massive breather and catch can setup on it. seems to have worked, as hardly anything comes out the breather now, must have had too much crank case pressure.

Pic_0005cc.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

had it on dyno. couldn't get much more power out of it! my road tune was pretty close. some small gains were made advancing the timing and playing with cam timing. i recon something is holding it back, gonna try some stuff with exhaust and see what happens

dy.jpg

• Sad 1

• 1 month later...

have installed 2.5" exhaust and changed collector slightly. gained heaps of midrange going by ass dyno and afr. but not much at all up top. megaphone must be doing it job now it hasn't got a cork after it.

been trying a few diffrent air intake / trumpet setups as well. ended up with this: (isnt quite finished yet.)

Pic_0003ba.jpg

Pic_0001ba.jpg

will get it back on dyno soon hopefully.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

had this thing on the dyno a few times over the last 6 months.

blue line is original run,

green is with 2.5" exhaust and modified inlet ports and inlet manifold, as above

red line is same as above but with different extractors & inlet cam retarded slightly. (made slightly more down low and didnt hold as long up top before changing cam timing)

all runs done with the same inlet trumpets and filter etc..

Pic_0001dyno111.jpg

the dyno does fairly low compared to others, if your wondering were all the power is.

huge gains below 5500rpm from changing to the 2.5" exhaust system from the 2" one. im 99% sure the gain had nothing to do with the port filling. and was also the cause of the drop in peak power(keep reading). probably done it all wrong who knows.

these are the extractors used on the redline run:

Pic_0010xxt.jpg

Pic_0002s-2.jpg

have gone back to the original stainless ones now. as they make it a bit nicer to drive on the street. had to repair and brace them as they were cracking near the flange. exhaust mounting the ground on every bump, doesn't do much for your stainless headers !

probably going to sell the black ones above. make me an offer if your interested..

had the inlet manifold off just recently to add some vac hoses, turns out the stuff in the ports ^ was about too fall out! was pretty much over it just ripped the head off, bashed it out, biffed head back on. port entrys are a bit golf ball spec now from where i roughed up the port to get the devcon to stick (fail) and inlet mainfold is miss matched. but, now ive had to add a bit more fuel from 6000rpm onwards, no change below. goes the best it ever has now . weird!

• 2 months later...

went to meremere in feb,done a 14.0 at 160km.

then i changed some stuff, to surprise a few people (secret weapon)

looks the same outside

Pic_0009ssc3.jpg

isnt pretty, but cheap and fast build

Pic_0001ssc2.jpg

Pic_0004scc2.jpg

turns out the dude i wanted to beat, crashed his car into a pole, last weekend!

stink. went down again anyway.

skid

not bad for having a big boost leak and only running 3-4psi boost.

• 6 months later...

hmm this has been back n/a since about a week after the above post.

bit of techo stuff for those that are interested,

the green line in this dyno sheet vs the blue line. is basically the difference between my old 2"(blue line) exhaust, and the 2.5"(green line) i changed to. pretty sure the filled ports were partly responsible for the lack of top end on the green line run.

Pic_0001dyno111.jpg

ok so i cut off the rear muffler, 2.5 internal dia, but chambered design, it went lean in the midrange. so modified the muffler, internal dia now being near 3.25" and bigger chambers, hoping it will flow near a 3" pipe. results:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v178/ ... ermods.jpg

looking at the afr:

green line - new muffer - actually a little leaner than with none

brownish line - no muffler. lots loud

blue line - old 2.5" muffler

thats around an extra 10% fuel in required in midrange. which in theory should be around 10kw. similar amount to when i changed from 2" to 2.5. looks too be some small gains at high rpm also.

conclusion: revision is not your friend. and wives tail that you will loose torque with large exhaust.

edit: also awaiting another toda part..