Romans COD piece

Love your build dude! I live in Blockhouse bay, keen as to help with rolling filming or whatever. You can txt me on 022 012 9633, I have Saturday free but doing the LACNZ thing at Hampton Downs on Sunday.

Cheers  :)

Jordan

• Like 2

• Replies 698
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Roman, as much as I like your mspaint graphs and general ramblings about fuel economy, can you please start directing your energy and time towards something useful, such as making more power, reducing laptimes, or increasing the efficiency of turning tyres into smoke etc?

Lubs

Rookiedave

• Like 7

My thoughts on an MA61 roof wing are that they are disgusting haha.

Since you bring it up though. Based on a fairly shitty model that I've drawn.

One of the main airflow streams starts on the outer 1/3rd of the front bonnet, avoids the windscreen altogether and tucks under the side mirrors and then curves back up and over the side of the rear hatch.
It seems like the air wants to go around the sides rather than over the roof, where it can. My initial thoughts are still that a roof wing or rear wing will acheive pretty much nothing.

Looking at the car in plan view, an absolute shitload of air gets pumped through the wheels to escape the engine bay and trans tunnel etc which is good I guess. But the car has a very wide wake, starting right at the front of the car.

za4qou1h.rwo.jpg

With a model life this setup it's really easy to add a roof wing, or a front splitter, or a sharks nose or a whale tail, various other fish bits and see what happens.

You can set a goal for the simulation to measure total lift and drag. What's interesting though is that it seems very hard to "win".

As in, you do something to decrease drag but then you increase lift. Or vice versa.

As an example, a shark nose helps the flow stay attached to the bonnet and gives a much lower stall point at the front of the car.
But then all of this air hits the windscreen instead of just going straight over the top. So not sure if that's actually an improvement.

Maybe more on this later if I ever come to any meaningful conclusions.

I'm sick at home today which is causing some serious brain fade so no further comment until my brain is braining again.
As this took way too long to write haha.

• Like 5

My thoughts on an MA61 roof wing are that they are disgusting haha

Ew

Haha I'm so gonna test fit one for some photos

Based on a fairly shitty model that I've drawn.

One of the main airflow streams starts on the outer 1/3rd of the front bonnet, avoids the windscreen altogether and tucks under the side mirrors and then curves back up and over the side of the rear hatch.

It seems like the air wants to go around the sides rather than over the roof, where it can. My initial thoughts are still that a roof wing or rear wing will acheive pretty much nothing..

Funny you mention this, even just looking at the car the roof dose seem to stand out a bit.

I'm going to try make a small front lip of some sort

And have thought a bit on a small rear lip. Like 2" flat allou that sticks up like a nascar spoiler

• 4 weeks later...

MY previous coils were part number 90919-02227, however the new ones I bought have a new part number 90919-02275 which is a slightly different shape, they now look like the Altezza ones with the flat top.

But the instructions in the packet say they perform identically to the 27s, the old ones were superceded.

I've found that my ECU does have dwell times set, but it would be dwell times for the Altezza coils.

tm2nxpmr.uhp.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Bahaha!

Nitrous gets a bad rap because it's sold in kits which are literally just hook it up then people "Spray and pray" when you go WOT. From a generic kit where there's zero fucks given about the particular engine etc its running on. And I believe there's a tendency for people to get greedy because its so easy to just upsize the jets and hope your motor doesnt blow up. (and then it does)

In most of the above situations you've got zero consistency with activation rpm, zero compensation for bottle pressure, zero control over ignition timing/knock, zero control over a leanout, etc.

With ECU wizardry, in my opinion, you can cirumvent all of these issues. (Once this is finished I will have used up nearly all of my inputs and outputs)

Example:
-Do not activate if bottle pressure is too low
-have a fuel map based on rpm and bottle pressure
-switch off if lean or knocking
-leave nitrous fuel map on for "safety overrun" after nitrous has stopped spraying
-have a minimum activation rpm
-only use in 3rd gear onwards

etc.

With some understanding of its operation, and running as a dry setup (so injectors provide the fuel instead of a random spray from a nozzle) I think I will be able to get some fairly precise and repeatable results.

Cant say for sure, but that's the fun part. :)

I've got a good plan in my head already but I would say 90% of my time setting this up before first operation will be setitng up smarts in the ECU rather than the physical install.

• Like 4

You are on the money Dave, there really is great things to be done with nitrous. I'm looking forward to seeing you battle evenly with a car for a few laps and then blast past down the straight. Good jerb.

• Like 2

Not sure, I suspect its expensive which is why I tried to avoid finding this out before committing to the idea haha.

As it might put me off.

In the longer term, if it seems like fun.
It might end up more cost effective to get a BOC account and rent a large bottle and then refill the smaller one myself.
Not sure whats involved with having a big bottle at home, cant see why it would be any different to argon or CO2 etc though.

But if you're running a reasonably sensible shot (say 50-60hp) and have some smarts around when its activated.
A 10 pound bottle can last a fairly decent amount of time.