Romans COD piece

That Civic is awesome. Don't do anything like that to the Carina plz

I can only imagine how many intrusive stares you'd get in that Civic while trying to drive around.

You can only look back at so many repugnant stares in traffic before it starts to get to wear you down haha.

Probably cops pulling you over to WTF at your car as well, that cant be good for mileage :P 

From factory the Carina did have an undertray under the front engine bay area, but I had to ditch it because the sump came down too low and the new swaybar hits it. But thats all behind the radiator line, nothing ahead of it. I should really dig it out and see what I'd need to chop out to make it fit, probably the easiest way to address that half of the issue easily.

Probably the easiest ways to make it a bit more economical currently though: (Not planning on all of these things)

1. Switch fuel over to the modelled fuel equation so I can see realtime fuel consumption in datalogs.

2. Do some more testing with repeatable cruise control / motorway method to try leaner AFRs and see if there's any real economy there. Or whether it just means foot down further to make the same power.

3. Change final drive ratio to 3.7 or 3.9 (pfffttt)

4. Narrower tires on wheels that fit more inside the gaurds, so the tires arent exposed to airflow.

5. Fit a taller tire profile to reduce 100kph rpm some more.

6. Make front undertray thingy to reduce drag

7. vortex generator(s) on trailing edge of roof to keep the flow attached further down the rear screen. (Would look gross though, do not want)

8. drive the car in such a way that means I may as well be driving the Echo. haha.

• Replies 698
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just figure out mod to fuel saving $ amount before you decide on anything too drastic.

Eg, I was talking to a car salesman and he was amazed at the people trading their nice cars + cash for more economical and shit vehicles when if they'd just put the $$ into fuel they could have kept their bigger vehicle for years longer.

• Like 1

Yes but old cars start costing money big time as they age if you don't fix them yourself (many cars fall out of warranty and cost people thousands and thousands).  For most people here pursuing gains in our irrational hobby never ads up, ever. You have to chalk up the money as learning and enjoyment

Anyway spamming this thread haha. Cool Carina bro, you should try a K24.

• Like 2

It's not for saving money so much as for interests sake and learning something new. 
Or, learning about the theory of things, but then seeing how the theory holds up with some practical tests.
It's also about being smug, that's my real main hobby.
The best way to save money with this car would be to put it in a crusher haha.

I'm done with the idea of driving old or high km cars as a daily though.
My next car wont be something so Echo-ey but will aim for something around the 30 thou kms mark again.
Not a single dollar or hour spent on problems for that car, in ~60,000kms driven so far.
That's beaten any previous vehicle I've owned by several magnitudes haha.

you should try a K24.

2GRs are coming down in price...

• Like 3

By all means please do! 

Get a link to run it, I'll help you tune it. 

Then I can pass the baton to the next generation of people using a Carina to draw pointless graphs on the internet.

• Like 6

By all means please do! 

Then I can pass the baton to the next generation of people using a Carina to draw pointless graphs on the internet.

Haha nah nah, don't think I have the patience to do graphs like yours

Don't want that weight on my sholders

Now and again I drop in on this blog:

http://www.motherearthnews.com/green-transportation/green-vehicles/max-fuel-economy-zmgz12aszphe.aspx

Old flier builds lotus reps, and has a kubota 3cyl diesel  +T.

His aim was for 100mph / 100mpg, and it looks like he's not crazy far away. The pages where he works out how much radiator hole are a good example of careful methodical engineering.

His economy aims have led to a retro 50's racer look, from when HP was the limit, not grip.

• Like 1

Awesome! 

What's interesting from some things that I've been reading at the moment. Unknown to me in the 30s or whatever people had a VERY good understanding of aero stuff.

(It never made sense to me that people knew how to make aircraft, but gave zero consideration to car shape)

Although it still seems odd that aero downforce came into play quite late in the piece.

In my mind it's always seemed that the 90s were the first sort of times that aero was considered for mass produced cars.

Oh how wrong I was! 

• Like 1

I dont think so, if you look at F1 cars from the 60s they would have massive power V12s and skinny tiny shitty tires and were absolutely nuts to control.

They all would have been way more drivable and faster with aero stuff.

Lately I have been having really good dreams about a 2GR S2000.

I think everyone would enjoy a hoon in said contraption

Wonder if it would fit being so wide? Being v6 it would sit behind the struts still, unlike the v8 and v10 swaps they do it Mericur

If I ever win lotto I'm gonna put a synergy V8 in my rina :D

I find these tests you are doing with air pressure and resistance rather interesting. Will be following closely.

As a side note, I wonder how much difference glossy paint vs matte paint makes for this. We've probably all joked about it at some point but there must be a difference, however, probably immeasurably small.

• Like 1

Joker said in the fuel economy thread that waxing your paint can actually help marginally for whatever reason.

It wouldnt make any difference to my bonnet or windscreen, as its completely dead air at this part of the car.

But might make a slight difference at the areas at the back where flow detaches or reattaches.