Romans COD piece

• Replies 698
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh yeah, how do you have launch control setup?

I think it'll just be trial and error but happy to hear other peoples experiences

Its set for 5000rpm - cuts spark

I find the reed switch works really well, when ever the magnet is within 15 mil of the switch we have action, this seems to work well as IMO you  want it engaged a little bit before the clutch is full depressed and same again for clutch release

Make fun noises when engaged and can get a small amount of boost to register, plus u can get funny looks from people at the traffic lights

• Like 1

Haha!

Yeah I've been thinking about that, having the engagement/disengagement adjustable would be a bit better than what I'm planning.

But I might be able to work around that with software or whatever I guess, will see how it goes.

Yeah thats how the bolts came, I put in brand new Toyota ones when the flywheel was last off.

I dont think engine or gearbox oil was anything to do with the clutch failing though, because the whole thing was completely dry when I took the cover plate off. It was only when I undid the flywheel bolts that it was oily.

It was the side of the friction material facing the flywheel that nuked itself.

In fairness it's been an el cheapo standard clutch that's lasted for maybe 8-10 trackdays, 14 dragstrip launches with (lame) burnouts, max rpm clutch dumps, and 10,000km or so of street driving.

Not too bad I guess.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh yep good point!

Perhaps it's even greater than 17% when you consider that the first mm or two of lift are probably useless.

Main thing though was that apart from the cam specs, out of the things listed there didnt seem to be too much different going on.

I'm pretty sure that they run a non square bore/stroke as well though, as in short stroke so they can do higher rpm without standard cast pistons blowing to smithereens.

although that doesnt much explain how K24s seem to do zillions of revs without exploding. As they'd have a higher piston speed than an 86x86 2.0 litre engine at the same rpm.

It's a bit of an eye opener reading some of the K20 forums though, man some of those guys have got shit loads to spend on building motors.

Very interesting, i may just need to get around to removing my silvertops and replacing with my blacktop ITB's on.

The other option is GTR ITB's. Which surprisingly are not to hard to find. They are 45mm too from what i have read, will confirm soon.

• Like 1

Yeah it depends on the shape of your adaptor manifold, whether it would suit silvertop or blacktop throttles.

As blacktops have the silly shaped exit hole, silvertop a bit rounder.

Yeah I think there are some bikes running bigger throttles than that. Some of the other options are trickier to adjust the spacing between the throttles, I think the GTR ones are in cast pairs?

I was browsing some Honda forums and a lot of those guys run 50+mm or 60mm quad throttles, they've got off the shelf kits... but they cost a friggen fortune!

• Like 1

Yeah it depends on the shape of your adaptor manifold, whether it would suit silvertop or blacktop throttles.

As blacktops have the silly shaped exit hole, silvertop a bit rounder.

Yeah I think there are some bikes running bigger throttles than that. Some of the other options are trickier to adjust the spacing between the throttles, I think the GTR ones are in cast pairs?

I was browsing some Honda forums and a lot of those guys run 50+mm or 60mm quad throttles, they've got off the shelf kits... but they cost a friggen fortune!

Don't know if you have seen this.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=894326063

An interesting combination of quad throttles and standard intake.

386246542.jpg

• Like 2

Ahh yep!

I remember seeing that way back in the day.

I wonder if it was in the rules that they had to run a factory plenum or something. Interesting setup!

EDIT:

I remember some more information about this now.

The motors werent 280hp, they were 250hp, due to being class limited to a 10:1 compression ratio.

I remember a set of pistons from one of these engines came up for sale at one point.,
People wtf'd because the pistons were a bit spendy, and the CR didnt really make sense for either a turbo or NA build for people who didnt need to follow those same rules.

The point is that a lot of the characteristics are similar on paper, including how much power they make from a standard engine. (+-10hp depending on verison)
K20A doesnt use exotic materials or anything unavailable to any other 2 litre engine... Yet K20 responds well to mods, beams (and a lot of other things) do not.

Even if you get the most agressively spec'd $$beams toda cams$$ available, it still has 10 degrees less duration than a standard Honda item.

Does that not strike you as something remarkable about the K motor, compared to .5mm valve size or whatever?

70 degrees difference in duration is a shit load! And in my mind goes a long way towards explaining why basic 'breathing' mods work well on Honda stuff but not so much on beams.

Nice strawman though.