Yelo76 1974 TA22 Celica

yelo76

Discussion - //oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/21200-yelo76-1974-ta22-celica/?p=543791

Hiya all,

I was planning to wait until the panel work had been done, but here goes anyway.

What I have started with, A TA22 Celica (Actual year is 1974), has been registered as a TA23 (Previous owner has swaped the chassis plates at some stage). I now have a solid plan for fixing this up involving deregistering it , changing the plates back (As he left the original one in the car) and registering from scratch.

Here is the state of it when I got it, didn't look too bad..... (and as the Tui add goes... Yeah Right)
celica004140605jz0.th.jpg

celica003040605ca9.th.jpg
Apparently all it needed was to have the wiring for the dash re done and it was good to go, the more I cleaned it up, the more rust I found.
Anyway, I quickly realised that it was going to be a back to bare metal job and cut out the rust and rebuild it.

Tried getting it quoted at a few places, most wouldn't even consider it due to the amount of work. One guy said, he would charge the earth, why not get a mig and have a crack at it myself. So that is where I am at.

Some of the passenger sill and the progress on it.

celica034100406xm5.th.jpg
celica039100406vh7.th.jpg
celica041is9.th.jpg
celica051hk5.th.jpg

What got cut out of the sill

nov06007lk3.th.jpg

The rebuilt item (Sills were folded up through a work contact for nothing, Pretty stocked about this)
kaylamar06001nx4.th.jpg

One side stripped and more patches done at the top of the pillars.
kaylamar06002se2.th.jpg

Anyway this has taken a good 6 months to get to this state due to having a young family etc. (Only get a few hours a week on it and a limited budget thus far)

image009hu2.th.jpg

Plans for her are:
Finish removing rust
Shave locks and side mirrors
Do as much of the filling and prep work myself
Paint (Undecided at this stage, considering 2 tone, silver bottom and yellow with touch of orange candy on the top)
New chrome all around
17" wheels (Undecided yet)

Engine:
2TGEU to be built (Will run with 2TC twin carbs to start with)
Sc-12 supercharger (Setup like Tim Frost's one was)
CRO2 cooling system (I don't like big intercoolers and want something different)
Deloomed engine bay + Battery in boot

Handling:
Upgrade of front discs to something larger
Change rears to discs
Try and work out some way of getting an LSD into it.
New bushes all around etc.

Interior:
Well the door cards I have a pretty rotten, the Dash is stuffed and there is no parcel tray, So I am considering fabricating fibreglass versions. (Going to have a crack at making a mould for the dash)
Recover rear seats and some new seats up front
New stereo in dash
6" speakers up front, 6X9's back parcel tray, 10" in custom enclosure in the boot (Using the right side well)

I know it is a bit of a list, but I guess I am in no real hurry to get there, as Budget allows. The main goal is to get it back on the road. Hopefully before the end of the year

• 2 weeks later...

And cutting out the cancer continues, the driver's side sill has been chopped out, revealing more work than the passenger side. Here is the front foot well with the patches to the floor pan done. (bar the massive hole under the pedals)

celica28mar07001bv7.th.jpg

And looking rearward, you can se the large amount that had to be chopped out to get back to some decent metal, a bit of fabrication required

celica28mar07002cw8.th.jpg

celica28mar07003xw6.th.jpg

celica28mar07005jm5.th.jpg

Managed to get a few bits cut out tonight and ready to go in, time to start welding back together I guess.