Mitsubishi Engine & brake Conversions.

lowlancer

Cross-members/Engine mounts

1200 aka 4G11 crossmember will not bolt up to rwd 4G63 mounts. 4G11s are found in a variety of vehicles common to the 4G63 conversion. In particular, Ex lancers. Use either a crossmember from a 1600cc aka 4G32, which is found in a variety of Mitsy pasenger vehicles as well as Galants and Sigmas, or the 4G63 crossmember. Both will bolt into any 1200cc vehicle.

All engine mounts are the same bar locating pins on 1200cc mounts, remove these. 4G32 rubber engine mounts won't work with 4G63 metal engine mounts, the stud sticking out of the mount is in a different place.

Gearbox and Clutch

-Starion crossmember will not fit Celeste or LA-LC lancer, use standard Celeste/lancer crossmember.

-Sigma xmember will not fit either. Just use the mount from Sigma/Starion and mount that on the standard x member. All passenger vehicle gearbox mount bolts are the same, regardless of wide block or not.

-Automatic ex lancer tunnel is completely different to manual. The gearbox xmember mounts are about 200 mm further back, and will not bolt to a std gearbox mount without major alterations.

-You can use a standard 4G32 gearbox behind a narrow block 4G63, using the 4G63 flywheel, release bearing and clutch cover and a clutch plate from a 4G52 Sigma/Celeste.

-If using a FWD flywheel you'll have to get it machined to take a spigot bearing

-LA Lancer crossmember uses different stud pattern for mounting to gearbox. Use Celeste or later LB-LC crossmember.

Driveshaft

Standard Automatic driveshaft from La-LC Lancer and Celeste requires shortening to fit 4G63 with gearbox from Sigma

Driveshaft from Sigma does not fit Starion box

Clutch

Clutch cable swaps on all models

Throttle cable

Use either standard sigma or starion throttle cable on Starion motor, both fit

Standard Sigma throttle cable should be used for N/A 4g63 conversion

Steering and Suspension

-Sigma antiroll bar bolts into the EX lancer

-Can use sigma engine crossmember in EX lancer, but have to use the sigma idler arm as well

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fitting Vr4 into 1200 cc EX lancer

Engine

:Got custom made engine mounts, using factory ex lancer rubbers

:Made water plumbing out of tube and bends, so it runs under plenum and ex mani, water pump is under plenum at the front

Gearbox

:Used factory ex lancer gbox mount, modified to fit sigma gearbox

:Used sigma n/a rwd gbox

:cut gbox hole in floor 25mm larger

Diff/Driveshaft

:used sigma discbrake diff, bolted in apart from toparms which needed to be lengthened 17mm to bring the diffhead straight

:used ex lancer d/shaft lenghtened 25mm *i think*

:used 90ish L300 Flywheel, pressure plate, clutch

Boltons

:made custom headers from steam tube

:got intake plenum reversed and cut and shut

:got accelerator cable lengthened to fit

:clutch cable was ok

:ex lancer radiator made into 3 core tho

:surgetank under bonnet, using the factory fuel lines

STARION STRUTS INTO EX LANCER

PARTS NEEDED

-Starion struts (change tophats to lancer)

-Starion lower control arms. (Can use some sigma arms the later model sigmas are more like a non turbo starion than the early sigmas, need to be the type that are roughly 365mm long and the earlier models are shorter which leads to positive camber issues like isnowi had)

-Starion knuckles (2 bolt as opposed to the Lancer 3 bolt type)

Can use either;

A combo of starion/sigma inner r/h tierod and l/h tierod spacer (rest of tierods, both outers and the l/hand inner are all the same for Lancer, Sigma and Starion)

or

Use the starion main drag link (centre steering peice) and kept everything else lancer

Also of note is you can use the sigma sway bar, which is about 8mm thicker than the lancer style, but only if you are using the sigma engine crossmember, it will not fit with the lancer engine crossmember.

Can mod please sticky this. It is increasingly apparent that these conversions are becoming more common, and thus the same questions are popping up.

My plan is to make a thread where all the questions common to this conversion can be answered

Can all those with experience please PM me with any additional info, anything appreciated! Anything and everything, VR4 conversions, Starion conversions, 1300 to 1600cc conversions, whatever.

be cool to have an awesome thread for this stuff!

In regards to "wideblock" vs "narrowblock"

As a rule of thumb:

Turbo + North/South orientation = wideblock, 330mm between bottom bellhousing dowel pins

All others (including East/West orientation Turbo) = narrowblock, 310mm

There are exceptions to the rule though, some 4G52s and 4G54s are wideblock depending if auto or not, and some later model 4G64 van engines are wideblock also.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

just a note that the 4sp and 5sp mounts are different wit the EX and colt lancers.Thats the hassle that im having atm with mine.Cant just slap a sigma one in there with the colts unless you can find a celeste gearbox crossmember, witch bolt in and use the same bush as the sigma.For the 5sp conversion in a colt you gotta find an l200 or 5sp lancer or colt bush.

Fuk its hard to explain, ill get pics

Fitting Vr4 into 1200 cc EX lancer *Note this is how i did it, dunno if its the best or whatever so go get fucked*

Engine

:Got custom made engine mounts, using factory ex lancer rubbers

:Made water plumbing out of tube and bends, so it runs under plenum and ex mani, water pump is under plenum at the front

Gearbox

:Used factory ex lancer gbox mount, modified to fit sigma gearbox

:Used sigma n/a rwd gbox

:cut gbox hole in floor 25mm larger

Diff/Driveshaft

:used sigma discbrake diff, bolted in apart from toparms which needed to be lengthened 17mm to bring the diffhead straight

:used ex lancer d/shaft lenghtened 25mm *i think*

:used 90ish L300 Flywheel, pressure plate, clutch

Boltons

:made custom headers from steam tube

:got intake plenum reversed and cut and shut

:got accelerator cable lengthened to fit

:clutch cable was ok

:ex lancer radiator made into 3 core tho

:surgetank under bonnet, using the factory fuel lines

:Batt in boot

yeah different gearbox stud pattern........sigma,l300 radiators bolt in to EX lancers and colts etc too.Much bigger than standard 1200 one.

Can use sigma engine crossmember in EX lancer, but have to use the sigma idler arm as well.

Sigma antiroll bar bolts into the EX lancer, tis way bigger.

dont know if you want to add about that stuff and all the bolt ins for the front brakes, struts etc too.Mite be to much.

meh, fuck its never ending mang!!!!!!Depends how much ppl want to know.

Like s13 struts and brakes bolt in, but shit, would take pages to write up, and explain so everyone can understand.

Well, sigma brakes and struts bolt into an EX lancer, same with starion, but for both you have to change the bottom ball joint knuckle as EX has a three bolt bottem bit, and sigma/starion is two.

EX GSR brakes bolt straight into a normal EX, obviosly.

Normal EX and GSR EX brakes and struts will bolt into an LA-LB lancer, but the GSR struts have too bigger spring dia to fit in the strut towers.Welding the spring seats and fitting the springs out of the smaller EX struts or the standard LA-LB struts fixes this.Both struts will bolt into the later colt lancers/celestes etc with no modification as the have larger towers.The GSR struts give about 1'50" of negitive camber, where as standard ones are about 50" worth of positive (i think thats the right way round?)

sigma turbo and starion struts should be the same as GSR EX ones, but on not 100% sure, and not sure on the camber angles.Starion should give you about another degree over what the GSR EX ones would.

Only difference between LA colt struts and EX lancer struts is that the EX struts have about 20mm longer stroke in standard form.

Standard EX and colt struts have a tube dia of 40mm, the GSR EX struts are 55mm.Dave from TSV was very happy when i told him that, not sure why.....

Sigma turbo and starion should be the same as the GSR ones.

theres heaps more crap but i cant be arsed.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

is there any difference between the l200 box and the 2l n/a sigma box?as in is either stronger than the other?the seem to be the best option for a narrowblock turbo any others?

both will straight swap over with the ex lancer cable clutch setup?

what is the best way to get around the cas and water outlet problem?

is it just a case of bash room for them in the firewall and make the water do a quick u turn and run it under the inlet manifold?

sump need modifying?

all vr4 blocks have rwd mount option?the only 4g63t narrowblock that does?any evo motors have them?

sorry if any of these questions are stupid but i only have a 1200cc ex lancer and pics to look at im wanting to get as much info as poss before i go ahead with anything so making sure ive got everything covered

L200 is better only coz it has a shorter extention housing for the shirter, means you dont have to cut the tunnel an inch or so for the shifter.L200 boxes are hard to get, sigma one is still fine.Internals are the same, but some l200 boxes are widebell housing although ive neve come across one.All have been skinny.

the narrow body l200s are the d50 gboxs correct? and the strongest narrow gboxes

a

nd has any one got any pics of there cas and water outlets by the firewalls?cas i guess you just bash till it fits but would love to see how people have modded there water lines to fit.

any one done the frost plug mod?would rather not do this as sounds like it doesnt cool suffeciently

they are all d50 varients, but narrow and wide 4g63 5 speed gearbox is the same, its only in ozz where its different.they have the "jap box" aka km132/sigma 5speed/l2005speed and the borgwaner box, which is a shit box.

The "d50" name is just an american thing coz they came out int he d50 mitymax which is just an l200 i think, therefore the km132/jap box........yeah i think thats right.

ok have been doing even more research :idea:

looking at the starion motor and gbox which i have now been able to find just by stroke of luck after having a converstaion with someone

the increased gbox strength would definately be a bonus but the power output of the engine is :rolleyes:

looking at options like mpi, and a bigger turbo as i would wanting around 250rwhp out of watever engine i put in

going after that sort of power am i better off starting with a vr4 engine as the are just better overall.

i cannot see myselfowning the car for long enough or being prepared to do a vr4 conversion to the starion motor

i want roughly 250rwhp whats going to be cheaper a vr4 engine or a starion with mpi etc

figure the money i would hopefully save on the starion engine could be spent on the upgrades, but if its guna be piss weak then theres no point as i will give it a thrashing

if your wanting that sorta hp your prob better off goin starion block with the twincam head etc, due to being able to use the starion gearbox, otherwise go full vr4 and use some sorta adapter plates oand use a b2000 mazda ute bell housing and a rx7 s6 gearbox mated to that bellhousing or the starion box hehe :wink:

if i was going to go to the effort of changing the starion block to twincam head etc id rather just go vr4 from the start leave it stock and see how the cable clutch sigma box holds up macabres getting 190kw out of his which would do me perfectly :D

rebuild changing all that sounds $$$$

gotta buy two engines so would allready be costing more plus labour and new parts and get all the bad points of the rear of the vr4 head with the cas and water outlets.

perhaps vr4 with sigma box and if im blowing them up constantly then get a stronger box?the b2600 with s4 and 5 rx7 gearbox is only for the wideblock version too according to the yanks?

so the shoc starion engine is bollocks?the only benefit of it seems the gbox?can u put the starion internals in a sigma box?