Cute Wee Gem's Mini Clubman

thminiman

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, stripped some of the engine earlier and its not looking great, but not entirely bad... yet, still gotta see the bottom end bearings etc

Has been sitting for a while and was kinda ceased up, little bit of persuasion with a large wrench and a few taps and it now turns over.. pretty keen on getting another engine though, is it worth getting a 1275+? or just spend the cash on this engine?

Apparently the 1098's don't rev all that well, what about the 1275's?, as I'd like to do some mods also.. Cam, +C/R, exhaust and twin carbs or something are in the plans and I like a bit of "revability" :wink:

Btw, I'll be building it so don't take rebuild cost into it, just parts etc

How much do 1275's go for usually? - seen one for 800 on trademe... and thought that was a joke

Well, stripped some of the engine earlier and its not looking great, but not entirely bad... yet, still gotta see the bottom end bearings etc

Has been sitting for a while and was kinda ceased up, little bit of persuasion with a large wrench and a few taps and it now turns over.. pretty keen on getting another engine though, is it worth getting a 1275+? or just spend the cash on this engine?

Apparently the 1098's don't rev all that well, what about the 1275's?, as I'd like to do some mods also.. Cam, +C/R, exhaust and twin carbs or something are in the plans and I like a bit of "revability" :wink:

Btw, I'll be building it so don't take rebuild cost into it, just parts etc

How much do 1275's go for usually? - seen one for 800 on trademe... and thought that was a joke

1098s, IMO, and alot of other peoples, are a waste of time.

998s love revving, love getting thrashed, I seriously reckon they go better than a 1098, esp a late model one (stock with 1.5" s.u) alternatively, chuck a 1.5" on if it doesnt have one already. easy.

either way, twin 1.25" s.u's are alot beeter, and a nice :CB extractor, 1-3/4 - 1-7/8" straight through exhaust. 2" is far too big, even for a worked 1275.

1275s are fun. not revvy thogh. kinda like 1098s, possibly even less revvy, but nice and toreuy. easily sorted with mods though.

my next mini (i'm 100% sure there'll be another at some stage, hopefully a late 90s one) = 1275, twin works 1.5" s.u's (rare, got some though) mad cam, flat top pistons, lightened, balanced, ported hard, and running my big valve head. shal be nuts.

but yuh.

get a 998 that's good nick, chuck a 12g295 head on with a little porting, fast road cam, twin 1.25" s.us, lcb extractor etc etc, disc brakes, and it'll be a fun, and reasonably nimble road car. plus nothings as quick through twisties as a mini with an idiot behind the wheel :twisted:

• 2 weeks later...

^^ got the 2 engines for $150 :twisted: So a 1275 build will be happening shortly, probably after paint :D

Picking them up Saturday.

Just going to go standard head, planed for higher C/R (at this stage, depending on funds may get a better head), extractors & twin carbs. Deciding on what cam to get, theres one on trademe (brand new), 'tis a wade 140 which at 295/297 duration is a bit much for the street. But there is plenty of time for shopping :D

• 3 weeks later...

as above, here are the specs for the wade 140. It will be used with what I said before, standard 12g940 head but higher compression, extractors/exhaust & carb upgrade. what you guys think of this cam and should I get it or go for something more sedate? I will most likely want to continue building the engine up later on when I have more funds so thats why I'm considering this cam. keep in mind I don't live in town and this is more of a "weekend" car and not a shopping cart.

wade140wt2.jpg

Scum...

20060930image0002im3.jpg

5mins worth of sanding

20060930image0006ei6.jpg

Ok, so I need opinions, as I'm spending most of my money I have atm I won't be able to afford mean mags.. so I have to make deal with what I have. Should I leave it with that "brushed" look and clear coat them or sand with 1200 wet and polish them up?, also paint the indented part of the holes and the center or strip the center paint?

Got camber? (yeah living in the country is sometimes boring.. lol)

20060930image0010fc9.jpg

20060930image0013bh5.jpg