Now CrazyTim's 1980 Vauxhall Chevette Wagon

mikuni

Back together again... radiator weeping as I dropped the car off the block and squished it a little... have purchased some grunty as fuck stop leak to get me thru next month or 3...

Bleed brakes is last thing to do... any westies got a spare half hour or so? Cold Vailima's await...

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Right... picture update!

Firstly are the pics when I first jacked the car up to see what was going on...

Chevettewagrepair9.jpg

Chevettewagrepair10.jpg

Chevettewagrepair7.jpg

As can be seen the crossmember is toast. The sump has been pretty damned scraped as well, sump plug is no longer hexagonal... that will be on the to do list...

So last thursday I tore the car down... friday I stripped doner x member, cleaned/modified/painted etc (from a gemini- slitely gruntier) and Saturday I got it all back together.

Chevettewagrepair6.jpg

Gemini crossmember has extra gussetting on the bottom... with care and extra strength hopefully this doesn't happen again!

Chevettewagrepair3.jpg

Gemini crossmember has no holes...

Chevettewagrepair2.jpg

took it to my mate Tristan (who will be putting his details on here soon for rust/fabrication etc) who munched a hole on the drivers side for the steering union thingy to sit into. (wasn't sure this was necessary, but would rather have done this than not done it and have to pull it out again...)

Chevettewagrepair5.jpg

Bump stops needed some adjustment...

Chevettewagrepair4.jpg

Amazing how squished it was... the steering rack mounts were out by over 30degrees meaning the wheels were pointing in different directions.

Chevettewagrepair1.jpg

Another view of how mashed the steering rack mounts were.

In all there was little modification required and little expense, mainly just time, a can of paint, brake fluid and the radiator stop leak which was my bad...

Chevettewagrepair.jpg

Oh yea, this is a pic of the stud I had to grind, drill and retap to get new crossmember in... wasn't too hard in the end, was a little worried about it prior to jumping in and doing it.

The things we do for slam... glad its all go again!

• 4 months later...