lofreq's '87 mark II boso/garuchan/shakotan/etc etc project

lofreq

hello all. yes im gonna go boso/garuchan/shakotan (whatever you want to call it) just to make people go nuts. intent is to drive this thing legally on the street while applying mods to the extent of NZ road law.

subject is a 1987 cressida mark2 grande. love this car as is, but stock can only be stock for so long.

050412%20-%20the%20new%20beast%2003.JPG

heres some initial pics from when i first got her.

http://www.defy.net.nz/lofreq/pics/Car% ... w%20beast/

plans for suspension are underway - having difficulty finding people with conclusive knowledge about what to put in here to have it slammed but as captive as possible. tossing around ideas for ae86 rear shocks, custom springs, front possible ae92 inserts with spacers in the stock struts, or apparently MR2 rear coilovers?? still in progress.

engine is the 3hp 1G-EU, straight 6 non-crossflow motor. on the track at hondavstoyota drag day she managed... 19.6@108kmh. so effectively it takes 19 secs 0-100, and uses a quarter mile to get there. lovely.

plans are for a 1G-GTE swap, in december, running standard twin turbos for a while, with an F series LSD to be installed as well. single turbo upgrade then will happen later when i get proper engine management, the hybrid turbo for this sits in my room looking at me for now ;)

you cant go boso with out the ridiculous rims. so im getting them made to spec. before i did this, i decided to take all measurements to see what i had to play with, then mocked up a 'rim' to scale to test interference with suspension etc. also it was a fun thing to do on a sunday afternoon :)

051016%20-%20deep%20dish%20mockup%2010.JPG heres what it looked like. you'll have to imagine a tyre stretched on there for dear life! ;)

http://www.defy.net.nz/lofreq/pics/Car% ... %20mockup/

have finalised measurements and will translate the design onto computer with proper drawings, then send them away with measurements, to be made. final face design will differ from the '8-slot' design in the pics. still tossing up some ideas. rims will be too wide for body so bolt on flares will be required. to follow on with that whole look :)

todays effort was conversion to twin headlights/grille from a gx51 cresta. installed pics soon.

let me know what you think/any ideas etc. i guess either you love it or hate it, so its ok either way :)

the google japanese-translated web page header says it best:

"It is for the GX71 car fumbling beginner who yearns to the highway racer made is."

more updates coming soon :) cheers all

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

twin headlights installed! took a bit of custom bracketry and some of the rangiest angle grinder cutting ever but they are in and work great.

not sure if it is wof-able. will find out in the morning! wof runs out tomorrow. but anyway here we go - can light up the inside beams seperate to the mains! enables ambulance/cop car style flashing if you get the rhythm right :P

http://www.defy.net.nz/lofreq/pics/Car% ... index.html

051024%20-%20twin%20headlite%20conversion%2005.JPG

i think they are a marked improvement over the factory upperclass looking Grande grille! - once i get some chrome trim to fill in the gaps should be sweet!

suspension and some temp wheels going down this weekend. should be scoring some WORK wheels, 15x7 / 15x8 for temporary cruising till the deepdishes get made. will allow mockup for correct suspension height :)

here they are fresh from the yard - apparently called WORK Ewing II

IMG_4469.jpg

also - will be getting wiring diagrams for 1GGTE installation from tup off toycrazy.net - also lots of tips on the swap! thanks mate!!!

motor swap in mid dec. hoohoo! project on!

work done over the weekend! in between blowing shit up for guy fawkes (go the exploding 'cascade' bombs!)

saturday:

http://www.defy.net.nz/lofreq/pics/Car% ... %20sacked/

sacked out the car! obtained coilover platforms from FBI for only $100!!!

051105%20-%20sacked%2001.JPG

the box said they were for VW Polo. i shrugged - turned out to fit perfectly. top hats matched stock cressida struts perfectly. we couldnt believe our eyes. $100 coilovers, keeper springs, the works.

051105%20-%20sacked%2006.JPG

using Falcon rear springs, cut on the back (still captive) ended up being a bit too low on the rear. bounced around like this on sat haha

051105%20-%20sacked%2015.JPG

sunday - back to pick-a-part, got the hell deals! set of 40cm radiator fans for an electric fan conversion... more ford falcon springs to re-cut (these were some thick as green? coloured springs we randomly found in an old red falcon in takanini pickapart), and spotted an old corona in the yard, that had some cool headlight shrouds in chrome. thought they could fill up the gaps in my twinheadlight conversion earlier... took the chance. also found an old oil cooler for the boso style! wahey!

so we cut and fit the new springs, no problem. lots of ground clearance still. rides great, flat turning! front only has about 1.5" travel so shortened struts and AE92 or AE86 inserts are the next mod.

then the headlight chrome, after some skilled angle grinder cutting from my mate, got them to fit on my car almost perfect! the front of this car is a great mishmash of toyota goodness now! wonder how identifiable it is now! hehe

heres the highway flasher lights for fun :) AND new headlight chrome surrounds! like ya bought one!

highway-flasher.gif

SPECIAL THANKS to my mates alex and aaron for their help this weekend - good stuff guys!!! next round on me!

next up - LSD rebuild and installation, shortened coilover front struts, and those crazy 15x9's will be underway!!! meanwhile... how to make some crazy exhaust...? hmmm :twisted:

a bit premature but eventually this puppy is gonna be providing the puff for the new 1G-GTE...

051112%20-%20new%20turbo%2007.JPG

Hybrid Garrett TA34

0.58A/R housing

56.5mm T04E Compressor wheel

front 360 Degree thrust kit

full loop turbine piston ring

T/Shaft Hiflow and backcut

50mm exducer

10mm blade height

T3 type T/Hsg flange

internal wastegate removed

apparently good for 350-370HP flywheel (260-275KW)

should spool quick, not big HP but hopefully good torque and not too laggy.

its just sitting on my speaker in my room now waiting to be used... heh

051112%20-%20new%20turbo%2013.JPG

the beast only has a T series diff in it right now, single spinner. will probably shatter once the 1G-GTE is in. so i got this F series diff/xmember from trademe, and an F series diff from a toyspeed member selling it, and sent them in to Diff Spec auckland today, to get installed, re shimmed, new bearings and tightened and lubed up.

051117%20-%20F-series%20diff%20and%20LSD%2001.jpg 051117%20-%20F-series%20diff%20and%20LSD%2004.jpg

will install it before i head down to New Plymouth in Dec for the motor swap... :)

on the board currently

- need front lip from some car to fit on mine, will raid pickapart this weekend...

- get the Work wheels from my mate who is impossible to contact...

- fax Elite wheels my plans for the rims (i emailed all the spec days ago.. then called today.. and they said "oh - computer broken. cant see emails. fax it" ........... :rolleyes:

- get spare cressida struts so i can cut and shorten them for proper coilovers on front to go even lower

that should keep me busy for now... :)

FINALLY got the work wheels off my mate. only 3 of them! 4th one is at his work still! bah. tyres are dodge - good apparent tread but looks crackly - its been sitting on his datto 1600 for months, one was totally squashed (deflated) - i pumped it back up but dunno if damage done. so im not gonna drive on em yet.

2 were on his datto with 195-50/15's, one had giant balloon 205-60/15 on it, god knows wat 4th one has on it. the baloon one's rim has a dent/buckle from an accident. its useable but will be ugly when spinning, the lip is slightly distorted. will take all to Arrow wheels to repair, rebalance, and strip/clean (they are caked with corrosion and stuff and i dont think all the autosol in the worlds gonna bring em back...)

nevertheless being bored by myself on a sunday with no flatmates i decided to hack into the car anyway. chucked the wheels on, and got a front lip off a mate who found it in pickapart off a mitsi? decided to see if it would go. its way curvy - and the markII is a brick. however the front fender of the car is thin metal. a claw hammer turned out to be all you need to curve a straight fronted car. sat there banging and ripping away at the front of the car into shape. very t3h satisfying.

this got the front fender to almost be sweet with the lip. sides were like 1cm too long either side, too tired to modify them further, hence the weird 'tipping fwds' angle it ended up with. i told myself that this was actually quite rangi-boso style and so = cool. i was happy hearing this explanation and left it as is.

car is much lower with those wheels, 195-50/15 is smaller diameter overall than 185-60/14 (it should be 195-60/15, which is what i plan to stretch on the 15x9's when i get them) so the jack cant get under the car anymore with those wheels on there. however rule of thumb is that ur car is not low until u cannot get trolley jack under the sills. so sweet.

enough bs talk u say, stfu get to the freakin pics jerkoff. ok sorry.

051120%20-%20wheels%20n%20lip%2001.JPG051120%20-%20wheels%20n%20lip%2002.JPG051120%20-%20wheels%20n%20lip%2005.JPG051120%20-%20wheels%20n%20lip%2008.JPG051120%20-%20wheels%20n%20lip%2010.JPG051120%20-%20wheels%20n%20lip%2011.JPG051120%20-%20wheels%20n%20lip%2012.JPG051120%20-%20wheels%20n%20lip%2013.JPG

051120%20-%20wheels%20n%20lip%2007.JPG

click on any of the above to go to the gallery and get closeups of any pic.

she's getting there i think. u reckon?

oh - i also got new tools!!!!! lifetime warranty. yeah! 051120%20-%20xnew%20tools%2001.JPG051120%20-%20xnew%20tools%2002.JPG

Diffspec called. diff is ready! woohoo!

Elite Wheels responded. can do wheels no prob! woohoo!

elite tell me, a set of four 15x9's, designed like i said, extra holes drilled for cap screws (simulated 2 piece effect muauhuahua), powder coated, and shipped to my door, can all be done for 3 figures incl GST everything. how bad is that.

estimated 10cm of dish. IS THAT BOSO ENUFFF!#!@#!@

a few detail corrections, and im putting the order thru. 10-15 working days. BAM! HEADSHOT!@

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE

got the 15x7/15x8 Work Ewing II mags repaired, and fitted.

15x7 front, 185/55/15s on there, 4.9% smaller than factory, took ages to find a pair, proved to be a hard size to find!

15x8 rear, 195/50/15 stretched on, 6.2% smaller than factory, could have gone 195/55/15 but i'll use these up for now, wait for the rear camber to eat these away

this means my speedo is off by perhaps 8kmh or more when im at 100, speedo will read 108 or something. so its ok, it makes me go slower than usual. on motorway i noticed suddenly average speeds of other motorists make me appear to sit at 120kmh :) i end up slowing down, heh

also the lower diameter has increased final drive torque to a noticable amount, straight line off-the-mark acceleration is actually faster! yay! on the downside, car is now quite a bit lower and the bottom of the boot hits the ground when i back out of my drive, whoops.

ALSO ALSO ALSO

Elite confirmed the profile cutter has cut my centers and they are done. Elite are waiting for the centers to come back so they can begin welding them up. also confirmed powdercoating - hopefully by end of week they will be done. yeah! i cant wait to see what a disaster i may have created! so freaked about my offsets and shit.

will clean up car and take some pics of the Work Ewings, looks sharp if i dont say so myself...

got some pics from engine swap owner of the new clutch that is on the 1GGTE im swapping in soon - exedy/daikin number - nice. i hope she holds up

1GGTE%20exedy%20clutch%2001.jpg1GGTE%20exedy%20clutch%2002.jpg1GGTE%20exedy%20clutch%2003.jpg

anyone know if going from the hydraulic clutch in the soarer to cable actuated in my car will be an issue? will i have enough leverage/foot pressure to actuate it?

will also be swapping in his fuel pump, and whatever else we can to get her running. hope it works out and i get back to akl before xmas!

a pic from a recent meet - while we're waiting for updates :)

meet4.jpg

lovin the rear camber. cant wait for the bigger wheels. wheels got fucked up this week - the profile cutter cut the PCD bolt holes out of the centers then sent it to elite. elite drill the bolt holes themselves, not the profile cutter, so somehow they had to send it back and have them re-cut. they just got the new centers this afternoon and will get onto welding them tomoro. gotta wait for powdercoat too...sigh. looks like end of next week before i see them

i leave next week anyway to go to NP for motor swap. so things will be interesting. i hope they get up here in time. i want to see them as much as anyone else!

paid for the wheels. just under a grand shipped back to akl. fuckin hope they fit and i got all the measurements right.

expecting them next week. i wont be here ill be in NP swapping the 1GGTE in..... so i fuckin also hope i swap it without issue and i drive back to akl without incident IE something blowing and leaving me stranded etc

anyone recommend a good guard roller in akl? im gonna need some serious rollage...!#$#@

• 2 weeks later...

what a mission. motor swap in new plymouth... cruised down on the 17th saturday, got there sat afternoon - by sunday evening motor was in and almost everything done. only thing was, wiring - she wouldnt start. well, it started, ran for 4 secs then died. wtf was going on.

we thought of everything from cold start injector to injector resistors to dud ECU etc etc. nothing would work. tried for 5 days and couldnt get her going. finally on friday 23rd, got her on a trailer and towed her back to auckland. gutted!

here are some pics of the build and swap, we also fitted the F-series LSD diff while we were at it. big thanks to Looonie and Forky in NP for the help!

http://www.defy.net.nz/lofreq/pics/Car% ... index.html

051217%20-%20engine%20swap%2001.JPG

fooled around with the soarer bonnet and intercooler, longnose style just for shits and giggles

051217%20-%20engine%20swap%2015.JPG

got a new front lip that makes the car look tough as nuts i think! its the old lip off my old civic!

051217%20-%20engine%20swap%2018.JPG

so anyway, towed car back to aucks, spent next few days in between xmas and all that working on the car trying to figure out what was going on. exploits are on toyspeed and garagedori but in the end it was a stupid fuckin banjo bolt fitting that was blocking fuel and starving the motor. nothing to do with wiring! god damn it. anyway here are some pics from getting her back to aucks.. and then the new exhaust i had fitted today.

http://www.defy.net.nz/lofreq/pics/Car% ... 20exhaust/

rushed work by pit stop east tamaki sees the new exhaust hitting the ground, the chassis floor, the gearbox, and my left side driveshaft bolts when on boost, sigh. but its on there now and actually quiet to drive, so thats a bonus. now i can drive about at least.

DSCF0021.JPG

now next on the agenda -

1) get some tyres on those rims and test fit to see what mods need to be done to suspension to allow them to fit! probably raising ride height, and stiffening springs a large degree...

2) get intercooler plumbed up so i can drive normally and see how she performs

3) fix damn exhaust... from clearance issues

4) get wiring tidied so my check engine light, tacho etc works again

5) get diff braced - its only held in by 2 bolts on the side at the front, and the 2 main bolts at the top to the crossmember - the clutch is so violent that when you drop it the whole back end feels like it is trying to twist off. im sure its because we havent braced/secured the diff enough.. would i be right?? maybe im not used to a 3200lb pressure plate and 3 puck clutch and a rebuilt LSD all at once.

6) paint and fit front lip...

project boso just keeps on rollin!