rxtoy's 81 Mitsubishi Lancer EX

rxtoy

started to work on the beast again now i've got some money so figured i better get around to this, a fair bit of the info has been up on the board already but it was before we had a project section.

its running a starion engine (4G63BT sohc 8 valve) with a stock non intercooled TC05 turbo at present. (next mod will be front mount and TC06, both of which are sitting in the garage. planning on setting up the TC06 with TD05 14G internals if i can find one cheap enough) the gearbox, 2 piece driveshaft, loom, computer, front struts with vented calipers and disc brake rear end (non lsd but i'll fit one as soon as i can find a decently priced centre) are all out of an EX1800 turbo GSR lancer.

the engine, gearbox and rear end cost me $750, the front struts a bottle of bourbon and the other stuff (including black GSR interior) came in a rust damaged GSR shell i picked up for 2 boxes of waikato

i'm using starion engine mounts although stock EX ones will work once you've removed the locating pin.

i've got a set of recaro's out of a pajero (i think, they came with my celica project) a momo race steering wheel and a cheap gearknob to tidy up the interior a little, still looks old but heaps better than the brown stock stuff.

its got a bit of an issue with the fuel system (it gets plenty of fuel, its just not cert worthy at the moment) and the bump steer is pretty bad but i should have both of those sorted in the next month or so and hopefully by then i'll have the money saved to get it legal again.

the suspension is compressed springs (3" and i wouldn't go that low next time) with early mirage shocks in the rear and i'll shorten the front struts when i get the time. its a bit of a bumpy ride but my integra was lower than this so i'm used to it.

pics:

ongrass47fq.jpg

from this:

oldengine5tk.jpg

to this:

enginebay44zh.jpg

and a pic of the interior:

interior3og.jpg

just picked up my brand new EX1800 taillights today which is part of the reason i'm motivated, got a new grill too, not sure if i'll use it yet. its different but not 100% sure if i like it better:

pic000734jy.th.jpg

pic000748uc.th.jpg

pic000753db.th.jpg

i've got brand new headlights and one of the corner lights too, malaysian copies but as long as they line up i'm not worried. look heaps better than the dirty old scratched ones.

its got a GFB boost tap in it now, plus i've got KYB's ordered for all 4 corners. got to sort my turbo out and buy a blow off valve and i should be sweet to get my front mount put on too.

all i can think of for now

cheers

Matt

Discuss: //oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/18977-rxtoys-81-lancer/?hl=%2Brxtoy+%2Blancer

taillights in, old ones:

pic000760am.th.jpg

new ones:

pic000810oy.th.jpg

don't stand out as much as i thought, not sure if i like the silver stripes either, i'm going to get the centre black piece on then decide whether to metal polish the stripes off.

didn't put the new grill on yet, tried it out but need to slot the holes to get it to fit properly and considering my poor aching head (mmmmm, tequila) i think i'll leave it til tomorrow.

cheers

Matt

not too much done today, got new tools though:

pic001004zq.th.jpg

mmmmmmmm, sidchrome. hasn't quite got the range i want, only go up to 17mm but it was a good price and it will do for now. looking for a good spanner set if anybody's got any recommendations???

i'm taking the front struts out tomorrow, need to replace the brake hoses all round along with getting some measurements for my front struts (apparently GSR struts are different to n/a EX lancers so can't just order them). trying to think of a way to not lose all my brake fluid but probably going to have to ditch it. surprisingly the stock struts have almost got my springs captive so i might just take an inch off the new ones instead of the 2-3 i was planning. will have to do some measuring once they arrive.

cheers

Matt

new plugs and leads today, finally realised why the car was missing every now and then, one of the old plugs must have been bumped when i put it in and the gap was almost closed up. runs heaps better now, well it idles heaps better anyway, can't take it for a spin with no front suspension.

going hunting for new front brake pads and hoses tomorrow, along with someone to take my inserts out of my struts, i haven't got the tools to do it myself.

ordered a new coil too, a proper starion one, they're meant to throw a 2 inch spark and be better (in this application) than a bosch gt40. costing about $50 though.

cheers

Matt

done a few things over the last couple of days, new brake pads are here and in, got all my new brake hoses but not in yet because i need my new struts first. got the inserts out and measured them up though, just got to get hold of a mate so i can order them.

turns out my coil is going to be difficult, they can't find the one they thought they had in NZ, either have to bring one from Aussie (couple of weeks) or from Germany (couple of months minimum). shit.

siliconed up the front bumper, looks heaps better, not quite mint though. got the new grill on too so front end looks fairly tidy for now. still not sure what i'm going to do about airflow for the intercooler and oil cooler but that can wait until after the cert.

new brake pads and hoses:

pic001126wy.th.jpg

and strut measurements for EX1800 GSR strut inserts:

shockmm9ve.th.jpg

cheers

Matt

• 2 weeks later...

new struts here today, turned out the KYB catalogue has got the right number after all. took a bit of searching though. front shocks cost $230 for the pair too, at least twice as much as what i wanted to pay but the g/f's old man is starting to get annoyed with the car just sitting in the garage so i couldn't wait for my hookup to come through.

pic001164cj.th.jpg

came with everything i need though, just have to go find someone to take 2" off them tomorrow then put them back in and she'll be rolling. also need to sort out my hazard lights and then hopefully ready for a cert.

cheers

Matt

got bored this evening, shot down to supercheap just before closing and bought a central locking kit for $40. got 2 doors done, will finish the rest tomorrow. gave it a test run, works sweet as :D

now i need some electric windows but i think that'll be put in the too hard basket. will chuck some photo's up tomorrow of the c/l. pretty easy to install, just the wiring is a bitch cause the car's old enough that there was never any wiring that actually went to the door.

cheers

Matt

got this in the mail today, cost $22 (trademe), not sure if thats a good price but its cheap enough i'm not too worried either way. looks hell of a lot better than just the bare pipe coming up.

pic001243xl.th.jpg

pic001263ac.th.jpg

somebody asked about the c/l too so i'll put a quick rundown of how to install it with pics:

it comes with instructions and its pretty simple. you get a loom with computer, 4 solenoids, one of which is master, plus all the mounting stuff for each solenoid.

this pic shows pretty much all the stuff you get for each door, master has 3 extra wires and the rod for the end of the solenoid isn't shown:

pic001295dy.th.jpg

loom has a power and an earth wire (red and black), you connect the power to any constant 12V (i used my stereo permanent power wire, yellow for sony) and earth the black one wherever you want. master solenoid goes in drivers door, other 3 go in the other 3 doors.

you use the bracket that comes with it to bolt across a gap in the door, keeping in mind that the solenoid has to work in line with one of the rods that actuates your lock. also remember that the window being wound up and down may interfere so make sure and keep it clear of this.

pic001224ts.th.jpg

solenoid gets bolted to the bracket and the rod goes through the end of the solenoid and then you use the little square block to bolt this to the lock actuating rod.

little connecting block, tighten screws to fasten it to both rods, works like a choccy block sort of:

pic001289ks.th.jpg

hook up all 4 doors, connect and hide loom, test and try (mine didn't work for the first few times, solenoids seemed sticky, just click it up and down for a while until it works)

hope that shows enough, i can take more photo's (today before door skins go back on) if something isn't clear.

cheers

Matt

got my spacers today, they're an inch which is slightly above certifiable (they're 25.4mm, max is 25mm) but hopefully i'll get away with it, if not it won't be hard to skim half a mm off the back. won't even need to take the studs out. now i've just got to find a set of wheels to put on them.

pic001329qe.th.jpg

pic001344gv.th.jpg

cheers

Matt

pic of the front of the car, shows the new grill i've got on there although its not the clearest photo. nothing too flash, something different though, haven't seen any of these on any other NZ lancer's, mainly on pics of malaysian ones.

pic001385se.jpg

besides that i've got some brake fluid in there (brakes heaps better with new pads and hoses although i haven't taken it for a decent drive yet) and i might have a line on a new coil which will hopefully clear up my idle problems (sounds like a really lumpy cam or a ported rotary). going to change it over to 95 octane as well and tune it for that as soon as i can borrow a timing light. need to find some FWD wheels so i can get the spacers certed along with the rest of the car.

cheers

Matt

• 1 month later...

haven't done a lot lately, xmas has killed me off money wise. found a cam cover on a pajero over at pick a part while i was looking for seatbelts so i put that on this morning, looks heaps better:

old

pic00143a2ne.jpg

new

pic00144a0lx.jpg

got a different inlet manifold for it too, its meant to have better flow because of the shape but there's some minor differences in the wiring so not sure if i'll be using it yet.

besides that i'm looking for seatbelts for it, fronts should be easy, rear's might be a little more difficult because they're not hidden, they sit up on the rear parcel shelf under plastic covers and i'm having problems finding something that matches.

cheers

Matt

• 2 weeks later...

been doing some powdercoating and i bought some new wheels.

wheels are 15" motoform sekters (spelling???) in fairly good condition (couple of small kerb marks and couple of scratches) with crappy but wofable 195/60/15's. will be putting some 45 or 50 profile tyres on there when i can find them but they'll do for now. i've been looking for a decent set of these for a while and i paid $255 on trademe which i'm pretty happy with but would be interested in hearing whether i got a good deal or not???

pic001626sx.th.jpg

powdercoating was after looking at some very nice sohc engine bays on the austarion forums and deciding i'd have a play. its cost me $120 for this lot, half each for the sandblasting and the powdercoating. the finish for the powdercoating is damn nice, i'm very happy with the colour and its been clear powdercoated as well so it should be easier to keep clean. i'm off to install it now so i'll take a couple of pics of that when its done too (except the inlet manifold, want to get the rest of that done before i install the new stuff)

pic001591ym.th.jpg

pic001600mi.th.jpg

pic001614hj.jpg

cheers

Matt

pics with new wheels on, there's about 30mm at the back so i could fit some spacers back there but i don't think i will. i quite like the way the wheels tuck up into the guards. think i might have to stay with the high profile (60, not 55) tyres too, its getting pretty damn close to the ground as it is.

pic00166copy3ms.th.jpg

pic00170copy6eq.th.jpg

and a pic of the new shiny bits in the engine bay. i took a few pics but this is the only one that turned out ok, need some decent light to get some good pics, might try again tomorrow.

pic00165copy6xh.th.jpg

cheers

Matt

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 1993_charade

hey u got a nice car, my mates got one da same it a darka brown he likes his and he gone get black paint job and i sugested some white mudflaps it be mean with them rims u got on da assend, my mates coby'd his heres his number if u feel like chating we live in taihape if u wanta come here with ur car and just give sugestions etc, 0273436654 tell him my user name he'll no, im a dude and im 15 just bowt 16 soo yeah please txt dat number man it b gud help so thanks matt