3.5L Rover V8

v3k

Hey people, I was thinking of buying a v8 to play with (just rebuild, maybe mod etc) and have decided(ish) on the leyland p76 in its 3.5L mode (due to ease of getting one, and the all alloy thing is appealing due to moving it etc)

I know I can google mods and rebuilds etc, but has anyone had experience with these? Is there anything to look out for?

Just fishing for ideas.

Cheers People

1uz-fe bro for sure.

You can pick them up cheap as fuck - sparkle's boss does heaps for stockcar guys, so he'd be good for hookups.

sure i'm biased toward 1uzs, i lvoe them, but really, think about it. they're light, they make way more power,are more fuel efficient, I'd imagine, rev harder and last longer and they're probably 30years newer than the rover article, and still a current engine, which means parts = easy. - you can still buy complete TRD 1uz's off the shelf from japan.

plus they're a highly desirable engine....

Im going to see it run on the weekend (probally). It sounds like a cheap price that he wants, to be fair.

And when I said for the experience, its just to play with. Im have no intention of putting the engine in anything, just a play. Then when Im done flick off.

But I have seen some articles on putting a holley on it - looks like a good start anyway.

i definitly prefer the lexus v8's too, but if you want to learn a carbied engine will make things a hell of a lot easier, and the rover v8's can be made to look damn nice too (although i'm sure its got a lot to do with the kind of car surrounding it, in this case at least :) ):

eng12zw.jpg

cheers

Matt

yeah, quite a few stockcar guys run carbed 1UZ's but from a learning point of view that would entail matching a carb and manifold to the engine whereas with the rover all he has to do is take it apart and try to put it back together without too many spares :lol:

i ususally have a couple

cheers

Matt

• 11 years later...