esky boi esky...

Stacov

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

just reading what u put in ur update i also have rattly lifters not too bad but annoying i think its just how the pinto is aye.

Hmm yea, according to the guys at my work experience (North Harbour Ford& Mazda) the Pintos are well known for having noisy tappets.. apparently it can be sorted out tho, they said that you have to have the valve clearances like bang on 8 thou for inlet and 10 for exhaust.

Oh yea it pays to double check them too, got them real good then rotated the engine round and they seemed to have loosened up slightly.. so I reset them again and they stayed right lol :wink:

I still havent started it up since setting them, might go for a drive now and see :)

let me know how it goes..

tuned my car today put the timing light over it found out it was retarded :oops:

fixed that up still not happy with the 32/36 carby as when i floor it get the revs up it makes the car sound louder then what it really is :cry:

the 40/40 carby was far better but the 32/36 will do intill i get twin sideys :D

The car will rev to 6000 no problems without valve bouncing etc..

also still not happy with the brakes they work well but could be alittle bit better

i noticed today that at the top of the brake booster where u keep the brake fuild i noticed it leaks.. but i cant find any leaks/cracks anywhere and the lid is on properly.

other then that its already for new supension

Yea im gutted aye :( had a good look at the head and block today in the daylight and they seem to be alright, im thinking and hoping that it was just the gasket.. even though it looks fine :?

I'll chuck a decent quality gasket on there and hope for the best I think :?

did you have the head off??

possible you warped the gasket when putting tightening.. if so you shouldnt have any probs.. when my gasket went i didnt really notice and then i blew the engine good and proper.. blew bits out the exhaust.. cold water in the sump with hot oil is a bad thing

I went for a quick cane today, and I think the head gasket has shat itself.... I put my foot down abit and it just didnt seem to pull like it usually does, I was like hmm thats abit wierd.

As I pulled up to traffic lights it started to idle really rough, sounding like a rotary.

So I decided something was wrong and that I should go home.. just down the road from the driveway my mate noticed smoke coming from under the car so I quickly pulled in, turned it off, and had a look underneath.... there was oil EVERYWHERE like dripping all over the ground and off everthing underneath the car :shock:

The oil level was just on the minimum line (very lucky I turned it off when I did...) so I topped it up and turned the car on to see where it was leaking from.. It started pissing out at the rear of the cylinder head where it joins the block :?

I took the head off and the bolts seemed rather loose, I hadnt re-torqued the gasket, its one of those ones where you 'supposedly' dont need to re-torque it... I guess it just couldnt handle the extra compression and shit, on top of not being retightened so it shat itself...

Yup there we go lowlancer... ^ ^

So Corbie, you reckon Its just the gasket then?? like it doesnt look damaged, but I spose if it was warped you wouldnt be able to notice much anyway aye...

Would It possibly have anything to do with the high compression, and not tightening the gasket? (only done about 150km)

Couldnt be fully sure.. i had someone else point it out to me..

was it running sweet when you had it on the road? cos if it the gasket was loose at any stage you would have noticed compression problems would have sounded lumpy and shit.. then constant pressure would have blown it my gasket looked sweet when it was taken out.. but it had a little bit of a twist in it.. also check your sump for milk :P

if its the gasket you would have had some water leakage into the sump.. well that was the case with me anyway..

Ohh yea its always sounded quite lumpy and idled quite rough... umm and each time ive taken it for a drive and given it abit of gas it seemed to have less power, never thought of the headgasket being the problem aye :o but it looks like this may have been whats causing it all...

the sump oil looks alright tho aye, like no signs of water in the oil or anything.. may not have blown/warped around the water jackets maybe? hmm