• Content count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

143 Excellent

About Carsnz123

  • Rank
    Advanced Member
  • Birthday 15/09/96

Profile Information

  • Gender


  • Local Area

Recent Profile Visitors

218 profile views
  1. Currently I'm stripping the bike down for a re-wire, new carbs, new exhaust, and a bit of a restyle. Being a California import the engine, fuel tank, and air box were hooked up to a carbon can because hydrocarbons and environment. Anyway its all been ripped off and put in the bin. I've stripped the carbs and exhaust in prep for replacement. A couple 32mm Mikuni carbs off an RF400 will replace the old 30mm Keihin carbs. They require a bit of modification but if it was easy everyone would do it. I'm still undecided about the exhaust but I'm leaning towards having the pipes on one side above the crankcase. The old pipes are rusty, dented and pretty much good for scrap. The battery box is being replaced with a 30 cal ammo can which will also house any fuses and relays. I picked up an old headlight which I later found out is off a D4 Caterpillar. It's built like a brick shithouse but looks awesome. the mounting bracket is a chunk of 1/4 inch steel that I'd like to use on the bike. The gas axe at work assisted in disassembling it in prep of a halogen unit to be fitted.
  2. Browsing through my photos of the bike I've come across some of the fails that happened When I first got the bike it had these awesome but sketchy as fuck brass bar clamps on it. It got pinged during compliance for excess movement between the triple clamp and the bars. Whoever made these homebrew jobbies did a halfass job of making the clamping surface round and the mounting bolts didn't sit properly in the triple clamp bushes. the crushed down dynabolt sleeves were an attempt at packing them out which was a major fail. A small exhaust leak which I thought was a loose nut was actually a broken stud that someone had decided the appropriate fix was gluing the nut on and making it look ok. While taking part in the ANZAC day charity ride the rear brake torque arm bolt sheered off under hard braking. Due to the way the brake operates as the backing plate rotated it pulled the brake on harder and harder until something gave way. It was a rather scary ride but all over in a second. Parts are not easy to find as the bike uses a lot of model specific bits but a modified xl500 front brake cam serves as a replacement.
  3. Chapter 3 - Winter After solving the majority of the oil consumption I continued to use the rebel daily, took it on a few day trip, and competed in the end of season drags at Ruapuna. The more I used the bike the more things broke and needed fixing. It was a constant battle. Due to kms I was doing I was doing oil changes every month, the 15 year old rear tyre and chain were fast wearing out and the suspension bushes had disintegrated. The tyre and bushes were replaced but I have yet to touch the chain. I used the bike on and off during winter when the weather was clear. When the Ashburton lake got a large dumping of snow I decided to go for a day trip out there. The scenery was epic, the hills were silent, and it was a little chilly but I enjoyed myself. When the rego ran out at the start of spring I put it on hold and focused on my Golf as the bike needed work doing to it.
  4. Chapter 2 - Queenstown I may have lied a bit about not missing a beat. The Banks Peninsula trip showed up a couple problems the main one being the tune. It got further and further out and kept dropping off onto one cylinder at 100k. The wrap on the exhaust looked cool but was hiding a terrible. The exhaust had rotted out and required a new section to be added in. After fixing the exhaust and re jetting the carbs it was time for another roadie. I wanted to go over the crown range so a trip to Queenstown was organised. The problem was I had to be at a riding cause in a few days and the weather for the rest of my Christmas leave period looked a bit rubbish so we only had 2 days to do it in, no problem. Pack racks were hastily knocked up out of bunnings alloy box section and steel bar lying around the farm. I also stripped off the last of the pipe wrap and painted the exhaust black. My poorly designed pack rack proceeded to break during the trip and by the time we returned to Christchurch it was held together with string and duct tape. No joke, that's literally what happened. Also what became apparent is the engine seals didn't enjoy doing more kms in 3 weeks than it had done in the last 10 years. The valve stem seals were leaking so much I burnt all my oil during the trip. Top end rebuild time
  5. Seeing as I'm doing some tidy up work on my bike I might as well share it with the OS crew and let you bask in its amazingness. To start off with I'd better run over the last 18 months. Chapter 1 - Purchasing October 2015. I'd just got my licence and was now looking for a bike. I was after something with some legs for touring, under 600cc for cheaper rego, classic for ease of maintenance, and under $1500. On trademe was listed "1986 Honda Rebel 450 - No wof, No reg, No worries!". The sort story is it was an insurance wright off which 2 owners previous had started to turn into a bobber. The bike changed hands a couple times with minimal work done on it. Then i got my hands on it. I went and looked at it, had a mate test ride it, did a bit of haggling, and by the end of the day I had it on the trailer heading for home. Over The next two months I fixed the issues with it including plugging exhaust leaks, replacing the front tyre, replacing the dodgy bar clamps, cleaning the carbs out, poorly tuning it for the modified exhaust, and making the speedo cable longer. A week before Christmas it passed compliance and was ready for summer cruising. My brother and I spend a few days riding all over Banks Peninsula. The weather was epic, the roads were quiet, and my bike didn't miss a beat.
  6. The last time it was out was taking me to kindergarten. To put that in perspective I'm turning 21 this year. And Harry your grammar needs work.
  7. Photo time!!!! I thought I'd do some drag racing in lieu of any actual work. Best ET was 17.931@74.05mph. It will be interesting to see what it will do with the 1.8T.
  8. For me it was a quick fix that has become semi permanent. the hardest part of changing the thermo switch aside from getting your hands on the right one is not cracking the tank. 30 year old plastic that had gone hot/cold is very brittle.
  9. It doesn't surprise me your fan is on a manual switch as the thermo switches on those pack up quite often. Both mine and my brothers ones are on manual dash switch. the water pumps on the 058 block are also known to die and produce crap water flow. chances are you're radiator is half blocked also. My crown wagon randomly tried Chernobyling itself on one day, took the radiator to get flushed and they said it was very blocked and they were surprised it was cooling up until then. I can do the same trick I did to my brothers one and rewire it to run a stand alone circuit with a 2 stage switch on the dash if you want. You'll have hi and lo speed but you'll have to remember to keep an eye on the temp gauge and turn it off when you shut the car off. As far your oil burning goes put a liter of Morey's heavy duty oil stabilizer in it with the next oil change. I used this in a 40% mix for a Camry which burnt enough oil to be considered 2 stroke. bit of Morey's reduced the consumption by 2/3.
  10. 1 month in of driving. The gearbox is making bad noises, the carb is not working properly but running in a reasonable AFR range so its ok, all the door and heater vent seals leak and it fills up water, IT IS SLOOOOOOOOOOOOW. 45kw makes it no rocket ship. Time to change that. Watch This Space...
  11. Hoonigan have cottoned onto your build. Awesome car, wish I had the coin to build something this awesome.
  12. So, a little welding, hammering and cursing at springs (damn you Volkswagen and your multi spring rear brake setup) later the new wheel bearings and brake shoes were installed as well as a couple extra hangers for the exhaust. It went for a recheck earlier in the week and today I picked up some plates for it. So now its road legal HOORAYYYYYY With new plates cable tied on I, as any sensible car enthusiast would, decided the first thing on the agenda was to go blasting up the main street of Ashburton with the little 4 at full song. The car was dirty as shit but it had the desired effect as lunchtime shoppers looked round to see where this symphony of amazingness was originating. Agenda item no.1 marked off the next step was to address the issue of rather neglected paint. A bit of aggressive cleaner, water blaster, car wash and super sheen later and the car looks much better, not great but better. A bit of before and after The maiden voyage of sorts will be on Sunday where I shall embarrass myself with my noisy piece of dented gloriousnss at a large euro meet.
  13. $660! cant really argue with that. Or you could get the really budget $300 JOM ones from VW heritage. Its a pity you didn't put this up last week as I ordered some brake bits for my mk2 off VW heritage, could of combined shipping to bring the price down. Let me know how your suspension journey goes as I'm planning on some upgrades along the same lines.
  14. Well my lack of action on the rear end bit me in the ass. It got chucked out on noisy rear wheel bearings, terrible rear brakes and the exhaust pipe moving too much. plus the high stop light was flashing with the right indicator. I must have wired it in wrong . So it's off to buy brake bits and do a little wiring.
  15. I decided to pull the brakes to bits to inspect them, in hind sight this was a bad idea. The rear linings were down to minimum, rear wheel bearings and seals were on their last legs, a CV boot was split and the front discs were heavily pitted from sitting for ages. The rear was cleaned and reassembled (it works so it is fine for now) but the front required action. Upon inspection the diesel discs, pads and calipers were in good condition so I spun the discs on the lathe and cleaned them up with a bit on emery paper and then all was installed. While I had the brakes apart I replaced the CV boot and cleaned and re-greased the CV itself. It was the first time I pulled a CV to bits but it's really simple. So with everything bolted up it got loaded on the trailer and dragged to Ashburton. I put it up on the hoist at work and gave the underside and engine bay a steam clean, probably removed a few kilos of dirt and yuck. Hopefully the list from the compliance place isn't to long. For all anyone knows this pic could of been taken in the 80s