bmxnz11

Members
  • Content count

    736
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

2,861 Excellent

About bmxnz11

  • Rank
    Post Fiend

Profile Information

  • Gender
    Not Telling

Converted

  • Local Area
    Wellington

Recent Profile Visitors

157 profile views
  1. Haha cheers Beav. This is what happens when I procrastinate about getting an office job. Hopefully it'll be at the next monthly meet.
  2. After the drivers rear side I don't plan on cutting into it again. I've done the big big jobs, that's good enough for me. So much for a 'I'll only get it up to a warrantable standard' attitude.
  3. Last repair to do on the passenger side was the rear section, behind the wheels. The bog here was over 15mm thick in places. Fucken rough. As it goes with chasing rust, this ^^ soon turned into this. The outer and inner skins were rooted where the dirt and shit had been sitting for years. New inner skin was sused. Then the outer was made, including around the back behind the bumper. And before it was hit with the rattle can. Short story, the passenger floor annoyed me so I replace the entire lower half of the van. Tomorrow I'll put it back together and drive it for a week before I replace the drivers rear wheel arch section. When is enough, enough?
  4. New sill. I then had to tackle the top of the passengers guard. To keep the theme up is was rust covered over with bog. Cut all the shit out. Made up a new inner section before making up the outer skin. I tried to take my time shaping the metal to the correct specs. I was pretty stubborn about not wanting to put anymore bog into this, so I tried to make all the repairs as correct as I could.
  5. Bit slow on updating but that doesn't mean I haven't been working. I made up and welded in another seat rail. I then folded up some sills out of lengths I had laying around, which happened to be thicker then the original steel. I also replaced the bottom of the guard, and made up the remaining floor panels. Photos or it didnt happen. Cut the drivers sill out. Replaced with a new sill. The remaining original sill was cut out after this. Back of the sill and guard before being primed etc. There was a crazy amount of dirt in behind the sill. Replaced the inner rusted strengthening piece. The passengers floor looking better.
  6. This only lasted a trip down to the bmx track and the monthly meet before I got stuck into it again. The passenger floor has always bugged me so it was time to get into it and repeat what I had done to the drivers floor. The passengers floor was covered on the inside and outside in bog. Underneath were just patches tacked on top of the original floor. Ive cut most of this out. I've replaced the lower section of firewall with new metal, put a new piece in by the gearbox tunnel and now I'm here. After the floor is done, I'll put in the new seat rail and take the sill out. It's rusty from the front to the rear, so I've decided to replace the whole thing.
  7. Cleaned up a better heater bubble I had cut off a wreck a few years ago. Plug welded this in, rattle canned it, seam sealed it and canned everything one more time. 100x better. Every new panel was painted inside and out, sprayed with this 2k epoxy everywhere and seam sealed where nessecary. Its so much more solid and the cunty repairs are now finished. Long story short, it failed a warrant and I changed chicken mesh into metal to gain road legal status. Stoked. Most of the garbage I replaced.
  8. I cut out the top sections and made up repair panels. Then I made the awkward last piece. Lots of cutting and bashing to make it a good fit. Smoothed everything out. Gave it a couple coats of the rattle can and some sealer.
  9. The second part of the rust work was done here. Bottom of the heater bubble, to of the firewall. EVERY escort rusts here. It's a prick of a place to fix and theres 3 layers of metal to replace. I felt comfortable fixing this though, having done the same repair on my other van. Took the heater bubble off to assess how much rot there is. There was a fair bit. It followed the join of the heater bubble quite far up. I started with the top of the firewall in the centre. Cut out as much as it needed. Replaced with a new lip I made up. The top of the lip was later trimmed to match the sides.
  10. Floor and associated bits done and looking good. The floor has since been painted.
  11. Front sill section. I also made another piece behind this one after it was welded in. Floor pieces all welded in. This was made up in 4 sections. It made sense to replace everything at the time. I also made up a new seat rail since the old one was a tad rusty and splitting around the nuts on the underside.
  12. So I got back from my trip and decided to get this thing road legal. Wof man failed it on a couple of things including rust, which I already knew about. Having no job ment I was able to get into it, take my time and do a really nice job. Photo dump coming up. The first place of rust to attack was the drivers floor. This area had been 'fixed' by the previous owner by layering bog and chicken mesh over the original rust. All of this and some was cut out. I first replaced the lower part of fire wall which meets and overlaps the floor. Whilst I had access here, I cut out the support and lower section of the guard, and the front section of sill. Replaced the support section with a new piece. The skin of the guard was replaced.
  13. Shit that's some top metal work!
  14. That paint looks sharp!
  15. Nice color man, coming along nicely