Cheerios subtle AE85 (JZE85)
Posted 22 April 2012 - 10:52 PM
this is roughly how it started out, half caged panda when i purchased it..
this is its current manifestation
Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:17 PM
so from here i played with the 4age a tad, 160~hp and put a 2way trd diff in her. Had a half cage in it already so was logical that i finish it through to the struts.
next thing to tackle was the rust, talk about opening a can of worms! A TE71 was sacrificed to fix most of it. Then the horrible panda scheme was ditched for the best factory color to ever grace the skin of a toyota... 4A8 toyota beige
Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:00 PM
Aluminum lock rings
I made the main tubes out of 75T/SqI chromoly then got them Electro plated at falcon in christchurch, excellent corrosion inhibitor $30 for both tubes
finished product ready to screw into bottom tube
Posted 26 April 2012 - 04:59 PM
6mm aluminium plate, remember the pillow bearing retainer from my last post? we bit of clearance machined into it in next pic
all the static adjustment you could ever want
Posted 11 May 2012 - 05:25 PM
Posted 11 May 2012 - 11:11 PM
Posted 14 May 2012 - 11:51 PM
Posted 13 July 2012 - 11:54 PM
Posted 14 July 2012 - 12:26 AM
I removed this heap to have a wee test play with the 17x10 ~ 255/45's i intend on squeezing under there
Coincidently at the same time a friend of mine was wrecking out a JZA80 Supra.... and then....
Posted 22 July 2012 - 03:52 PM
So a bit of modelling was done and a few changes here and there and we had our design for the subframe. I set to getting the ball rolling and headed around to my mate Simon Urquhart owner of SURFAB and grabbed some roll tube notched it out bent it up and then Simon laid some sweet tig welds down on it.
Posted 22 July 2012 - 10:22 PM
then Grant came around and told me need MOAR room so out the grinder came again.. look away if your the die hard original restoration type! In before cant believe you cut it up etc shit
Posted 25 July 2012 - 11:17 PM
haha bubblegoose is o.g g.c! Right then so with the subframe all tiged up next was to mount it. The chosen points were the bottom of the chassis rail and the wheel tubs face panels, i'd like to have linked them into the cage down bars but this would put it into sceptical space frame area so to avoid argument i decided under the cage bars on the wheel tub faces will be ideal. Many hours were spent trimming it levelling it and measuring it and in the end I had it square level and parallel within 3mm after welding. Not much that will be taken out by arm adjustment.
Now with the frame in I was out of 'free work' I could do at home soooo after some thinking I had an idea... I will leave you with this to ponder..
Posted 29 July 2012 - 06:29 PM
I stated by cutting up a dx corolla roof into 10mm wide strips and tack welding them to the guards. Off this using cardboard I started modelling the guards into the prototype plug mould.
Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:16 PM
Big vent on the rear to draw high pressure out under the car from the radiator and oil coolers.
Added some guard vents on top to help vent rising hot air off the tires and brakes trapped in the guard, in theory vortexes over the top should create a syphon effect.
Marked out a hole for one of the oil coolers and tub the inside with card as well, when removed it will become a template for .6mm steel for inside the guard.
Dummy fitted oil cooler and added some wee canards.
You have to paint your cardboard guards so you can get a true feel for the finished look and to water proof them if you cant afford fibre glass any time soon. Also you must take class photo 2012.
Grinder and Bubblegoose making a reappearance here, big side pods need the doors to clear them, im going to have to scissor hinge the door so it clears the pod.
Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:54 PM
Happy with that, now time to add some exit vents. These help pull air out from under the car and also break the air off the side of the car.
Posted 03 August 2012 - 06:39 PM
when you bog over it it will reacet and melt as bog is polyester based so you need to seal it with an epoxy resin 1st e.g fibre glass epoxy as i did.
Now it was time to lay down some glass, i used epoxy resign and did 2 layers of glass fibre matting. Its strong as fuck, im 70kg and i can do hand stands on the guards. One cool thing about it is its a amber clear colour when mixed and turns blue when its gone off so you know when you can sand it. So it was 2 layers over 2 nights and a sand with 80g to knock any sharp edges or resign strands off.
Next up I got busy with some bog. All up i spent around 50 hours on this one side to make the plug from wire frame to 2 pack enamel top coat...A48 Toyota beige as is tradition.
Posted 03 August 2012 - 06:48 PM
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users