VX 131R Racecar
Posted 03 January 2008 - 10:54 PM
My new lego technics set!
Pretty much my xmas present from me to me. A friend had to get rid of the car and it's a much more sensible starting point to get ridiculous from than the nice and original 124.
It's a Fiat 131R, certed for a Volumex engine and a bunch of other stuff, ride height (hence the plate), uno turbo calipers and a few other things. Oh yeah and it has a cage
Just some assembly is required......
some bodywork and paint on the front end
rewiring the front
putting an engine together
putting all the other stuff back together
2008 is going to be a busy year in the garage
124 full of 131
Truck full of 131
Posted 23 January 2008 - 08:06 PM
Dodgiest part - RH front guard/around A pillar, pretty common for 131's
Not so low 131 haha
most of the other bits
empty inside, thinking about getting rid of the sound deadening but don't know if I can be bothered
Posted 26 January 2008 - 11:18 PM
V O L U M E X
block still needs a hone but then should be sweet
Posted 19 March 2008 - 08:24 PM
started chipping out the sound deadening, which despite what I'd heard isn't too difficult in this case. Just slowish took 2 hours or so to get this far, comes off ok without a heatgun or dry ice. Done the drivers side floor in a couple of hours, hopefully get the rest out over the long weekend.
Only bad thing is finding more rough as rust repairs around the place the more I look at the damn thing. Going to have to put a few kg of weld back into it probably
partly naked floor
A ffew kilos gone
Ugly rust repairs.....
Posted 09 April 2008 - 07:57 PM
Awesome - 124 Got a warrant
Finished chipping the sound deadening out of the 131
1&1/2 buckets full of tacky crap ~ 15-20kgs worth
Found more rust
then found what was undedr the dodgey looking bog in the drivers footwell
Just as well i took all that weight out....need to put a bunch more steel in.
Posted 07 August 2008 - 08:44 PM
So since then, stripped paint and a ton of bog off the drivers side sill to find more rust to add to the stuff I found when I chipped out the sound deadening, and the stuff in the drivers side wheel well, and the stuff in the corner of the firewall. yeah I love rust. not.
Although I must say there is alot of steel in the car, since there is still a car left and I have an actual bucket of rust that I've removed.
Cut out almost all of it now and about a third of the way through patching it up now. But then I still have to strip the passenger side sill and fix up a couple of bits of surface rust which i can probably just clean up/por15/bog or something.
so will have a fair whack at finishing the patches this weekend.
Posted 10 August 2008 - 09:10 PM
Posted 01 October 2008 - 08:09 PM
I found yet more rust in the drivers side sill and had to cut out some sections and welded patches in. quite a bit of gusseting and repairs to the driver side innner guard as ths has had some pretty average looking repairs in the past. some more gusseting to the inner guards and the firewall inside the engine bay to go and some plates to help tie the inner guards to the ! pillar as there is some rust that has weakened that area a bit also. And a bunch of smaller cosmetic rust holes to be filled in the passenger side floor and at the rear of the car.
hopefully I will get all the finished this weekend and then I can start moving onto prep for painting. Really looking forward to getting the inner guards sewn up and por-15ed so i can put the front suspension in and have it rolling again!
Posted 01 November 2008 - 09:04 PM
Posted 04 November 2008 - 02:07 PM
A few specs on how the thing will be
-VX rotating assembly in an argenta block ~ 7.5:1 compression
-block drilled and tapped to take M12 bolts
-OE Thema turbo headgasket
-Mildly ported argenta head with 44mm intakes/38mm ex.
-130TC cams 10.03mm lift approx 276 deg. duration
-VX blower (1130cc)
-Programmable Megajolt/Ford EDIS ignition system (no distributor)
-1m long 4-1 extractors
-Custom steel flywheel with integral ring gear ~5kg
- 6 puck solid centre clutch with uprated pressure plate to 2100lbs
-132 disc brake diff (removable 3rd member type, i think this is the same as a 125 diff?) ~ 7" ring gear
flywheel and clutch
Posted 14 December 2008 - 03:41 PM
Have to figure out how to fit four 1m long 1.5" dia exhaust pipes in there now
Posted 13 May 2009 - 10:03 PM
So #3 and #4 almost done, although will still need a couple of small adjustments to get the collector location where I want it. #1 should be straightforward but #2 is going to have to snake over and then back under 3&4
Posted 06 December 2009 - 06:39 PM
So I stripped some more paint off and gave the bare metal a zinc phosphate treatment.
Posted 06 December 2009 - 08:22 PM
LS2 coils, 19 row oil cooler, a load of delphi connectors including a big firewall plug for easy engine removal. PCB v3.0 board Megasquirt I with 4 bar map sensor (should be future proof I think) and innovate wideband
Posted 17 December 2009 - 07:39 AM
Posted 17 December 2009 - 09:02 PM
Posted 04 January 2010 - 09:13 AM
also pillaged a 65mm throttle body and idle control solenoid off a falcon at pick a part while I was up in aucks over xmas
Posted 28 April 2010 - 10:22 PM
took some of this
made it into this
unfortunately I think I ran out of gas now too dammnit!
Posted 30 April 2010 - 08:24 PM
worst was a few places seemed to get gas pores usually when finishing the last section of a join. wouldnt have thought there would be pressure buildup with the ends of the pipes being open. could easily just be something else 'm doing wrong though.
Posted 11 May 2010 - 09:18 PM
Also a couple of shiny things for the engine arrived a little while ago
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users