Bullitt's 1970 Triumph GT6

kyteler

//oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/48701-bullitts-1970-triumph-gt6/

Bro.

You're a worry with your british cars now.

Has it really been 6 years since you removed the Midget from your ownership? Assuming that was the last oldie you had?

Cripes.

At least you have a 6cylinder now, so that's something.

Is there a version/option of moving the front bumper down instead of it looking like the classic british school-teacher with pants hitched right up?

Is there a version/option of moving the front bumper down instead of it looking like the classic british school-teacher with pants hitched right up?

if he got a mk1 he wouldnt have the problem lol

lush though - i'd love a mk1 myself, good job etc

I sold the Midget in early 2009 - must be getting old, it doesn't seem that long ago.

It goes well on the flatsides.  Doesn't pull very well below about 2000 revs but I think thats more down to the cam than the carbs.  Having not driven another GT6 I don't have anything to compare it to.  It seems an odd choice so I'm not sure why the previous owner put them on.

Mk1 and Mk2 look pretty similar other than the height of the bumpers. The main difference being the Mk1 rear suspension is much more like a Herald and inspired all the photos like this one:

Camber_zpsrssb7tmz.jpg

The Mk2 has quite different suspension and has much less dramatic camber changes.

I meant I preferred the 60s styling of the Mk2 compared to the 70s of the Mk3.  Are there even any Mk1s in New Zealand? I've never seen one.

Wouldnt have a clue re mk1s in NZ. What rear end does the mk2 have? Not transverse leaf? or does it still retain that.

If you want to spend some money i have seen some lush double wishbone conversions. Once upon a time i was close to buying a spitfire which are pretty similar bodywise. Common sense prevailed on that occassion lol

Wouldnt have a clue re mk1s in NZ. What rear end does the mk2 have? Not transverse leaf? or does it still retain that.

If you want to spend some money i have seen some lush double wishbone conversions. Once upon a time i was close to buying a spitfire which are pretty similar bodywise. Common sense prevailed on that occassion lol

Still has a transverse leaf.  These photos should show you more than I can misdescribe:

Mk1:

back_end_nearly_together_002.jpg

Mk2:

rearsetup.jpg

Note theres no shocks in the mk2 pic as they moved the upper mounting point from the chassis to the tub

Oh man this is so choice. I bet it feels so low to the ground when you're sitting in it. Such cool little cars. Good choice and cool to see more stuff like this on OS.

Roof height is apparently 50mm higher than my Lotus.  It really doesn't feel it - when I stand with my arm by my side my finger tips just touch the bottom of the glass so I have to bend down to reach the door handle.  To drive they both feel about the same lowness though the Triumph you just get into whereas the Lotus you have to fall down from the sill so they're quite different.

Once I get the Lotus back I'll get some side by side photos.

• 2 months later...

I had the baby sister of your car, Got it as a "Barn find" and had to strip it right down, Chassis blasted and painted, Bottom 1/4 of tub and alot of the floor was replaced due to maximum rust. Mine was a mixture of Mk2 and Mk3 parts, it was never going to be worth a full restoration so I did all the work myself. I made up a rotissere for the tub so I could roll it and work at a sensible height, fabricated new sills and lower portions of the door skins. I painted it in my garage and was quite happy with the result. Then I drove the wheels off it for 3 years as a daily driver and finally sold it for a tidy profit. I loved the simplicity of the car but HATED the diff which wined and broke. I ended up fitting a GT6 dif which was alot better. Broke a few speedo cables and ended up re-routing the cable to try to minimise bends. Mine came on spoked wheels but they couldn't stand the treadment given out at grass-khana's, so I fitted wider Dunlop rims. I was originally looking for a GT6 or Vitesse but ended up being very happy with my trumpy. Very cheep on gass but lacking in power. (somthing yours shouldn't be)
Yours looks neat in Bright White, these's not alot of spitfires or GT6's painted white but I think it suits them.
  Have fun and look after it as they're well worth saving for the future.
Cheers

34zvecrd.oq1.jpg

• Like 1