NZGT4's '84 Corona wagon with Civic alloy half radiator

NZGT4

Kia Ora!

My method of fixing up my failing cooling system.

I went on a road trip over new years and my started motor crapped out. To have a look at the starter the headers have to be taken off. When I got them off i noticed that one of the welsh/frost/core plugs was leaking. Now I already new that the radiator was on its last legs/the core was rotting/tanks leaking and a heater hose needed replacing so I figured it was a good time for a cooling system overhaul. I went to a radiator shop for a quote and they said $275 for a new core with modified second hand tanks fitted. Not wanting second hand stuff and I new I could get cheaper, I was looking down the road of retro fitting an ally rad. I picked up a "half sized" civic alloy rad from Scarles for $130. Obviously, to make it fit will require some brackets made up and also some fan modifications. As well as the new rad, I've taken out the old welch plugs (no. 3 cylinder was the leaking one and I found no. 4 cylinders' was very close to castisrophically failing) and chucked the garden hose down there to flush all the crap out. Turned out I needed a pick and some wire to get rid of the rust and sludge from around the no. 4 cylinder. I don't think any anti-freeze had been used for quite some time.

Anyway, the radiator install so far.....

The old rad, notice the "soft" core on the lower left and right where it has started rotting.

10675772_10204803857329428_5690199833236

The new rad compared to the old. The alloy rad is a 3 core and here's hoping that a new alloy rad with an electric fan will be good enough to keep it cool.

10926444_10204803858049446_6496067632861

I made up some wicked CAD (the old cardboard-aided-design trick) templates to allow the rad to mounted in the factory location. I'm using 4mm think ally sheet and will get some L shaped supports welded on to stop any flex.

1779745_10204803858369454_10685310046829

Beacuse I'm using the smaller rad and its completely different the factory shroud wont be anygood so the old clutch fan is coming out. I have a spare 12" electric fan off my GT4 project that I shall be using. I will have to make up a switch for the fan and I don't really want a manual switch on the dash so I'm going to make an automatic switch using google knowledge to help me. I've found a wiring diagram to use and I've just bought a "Thermometer relay control module with probe" off Trademe. I just need to get a relay and fuse holder and I will be away laughing.

efaninstall2.gif

I put an order through BnT today for all the welch plugs, gaskets and bit and bobs so hopefully should see the end result by the weekend.

• Like 1

I picked up a whole load of parts for the old girl the other day. I cleaned up the starter motor and it starts so quickly now so I'm stoked. I replaced the welch plugs with shiny new brass ones that look nice. 10913485_10204829996662895_686606283_n.j10934404_10204841430628737_431057617_n.j

I put new gaskets on the in and out sides of the exhaust manifold so no more tractor sounds.10921937_10204829996502891_1578947829_n.

And I finished my radiator brackets. Stoked with how they came out!10928693_10204841430508734_798737294_n.j

10934535_10204841430268728_2039410445_n.

And the finished product.10927939_10204841430388731_2059558058_n.

Now to install the rad and fit the fan and the hot days can come at me!

• 1 month later...

Rad, awesome colour! One of my mates has a tt141 wagon that he desperately needs a boot hatch for. Don't suppose you have a source for parts for these?

I believe that TT141 wagon hatches are the same as the *T170 Front wheel drive Corona wagons like this:

26495210002_large.jpg

1983-1985_Toyota_Corona_(ST141)_S_statio

I am pretty sure they used the same tailgate structure and window etc.

If it is the same, it would make it easier for your Mate to find a replacement.

• Like 1

Rad, awesome colour! One of my mates has a tt141 wagon that he desperately needs a boot hatch for. Don't suppose you have a source for parts for these?

Sorry man, i've got next to no spares for my wagon. Theres a dude on trademe selling a whole bunch of stuff but hes down in the south island

hit up alex user alfeinted as he may have a few tt141 wagon bits.  he's in takanini.  I may have some engine bits.

Do you know why the pistons/rings scraped??   did you reuse the original pistons and rings.. or new rings?  did they go back in the same bores and were the ring gaps checked?

Im no engine builder... but pistons scraping like that may suggest not enough piston/bore clearance which wouldn't be a problem if bores were honed and original pistons fitted.  which would suggest ring fitment wrong or ring lands cracked.. but unusual for all four to fail at once? 

also advancing the ignition would make it run hotter?

• Like 1

Sweet rona wags, like many others I learnt to drive in my dads corona wagon :)  TT130 model or something like that.

Gutting to see the motor die after the work fixing it up.

I wrecked a st141 wagon years ago, sold mostly all the parts off it incl rear door. no spare radiator mine was thrown away too rooted.

I'm 95% sure that the little radiator isn't the problem. Ive seen an evo, a sr20det van and a 4age starlet running them and they havent had issues. I did find out from the engine builder that the piston rings didnt have enough back clearance, turns out ACL sold me the wrong ones and I didnt check the back clearance. I gapped them but just didnt do the back clearance. 

Whilst im waiting for the block to come back ive been cleaning up all the steering components. Any idea on what oil to use in the manual steering box as it has all leaked out?

• 2 months later...

I believe that TT141 wagon hatches are the same as the *T170 Front wheel drive Corona wagons like this:

26495210002_large.jpg

1983-1985_Toyota_Corona_(ST141)_S_statio

I am pretty sure they used the same tailgate structure and window etc.

If it is the same, it would make it easier for your Mate to find a replacement.

There is a TT141 shape Corona wagon like in the bottom picture at Zebra in Manukau.

It's pretty much complete.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

HELP! I need a hand tuning my carb. The car wont start and its getting way to much fuel and I have a box of ciders sitting here if someone would mind coming and having a look. I've spent yesterday and today mucking around with timing/idle mixture screw/plugs and I've run of ideas on how to get it going. I'm in Greenhithe on the Shore. 

If no one is available to help are there any suggestions on a mobile mechanic that knows what they're doing with carbs?

Cheers